Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what does composition mean to you?

Default Re: what does composition mean to you?

composition is the making of a story in picture form that appeals to the eyes.

I feel composition is something that allows the photographer to direct attention to the relevant parts of the photos, while providing a pleasing feel to it.
    Composing is something photographers do when they are focused on creating attractive photographs. That is why sometimes, some of them choose to "break the rules".
    To me, following a set "formula" is not really composing a photo, because the photographer doesn't really end up thinking if his photo will really look nice or not.

means nothing to me.
    sigh.

don't know about rules...

I go by feel... when it feels good, it most probably will look good.

it's knowing how to bring across your point of interest from it's maybe mundane background.
    I go by feel... Never followed the rules.
    www.photosbymarbles.com

To me, composition is always important. And I agree with many of the viewpoints raised and put forward.

Guidelines and rules are there for a reason. Nobody in his right mind will make a wheel with the shape of a triangle.

As mentioned by some, people like to think of themselves as "artists", and make images that evoke an emotion. And by implication, composition are unimportant. I disagree with that.

It seems an irony for me to say that, because in yesterday's photo-session organised by Bobman, I had suggested to some to break rules. But to break rules on lighting, compostion etc, one has to know the rules in the first instance! I am all for applying guidelines on such things as composition etc, but I will disagree strongly against making these guidelines as if they were divine truths!

There is a real difference between those (like Picasso) who break rules knowing what they are breaking, and those who have no clue whatsover about composition.

To the former, breaking rules is clarification and showing a new way of seeing. To the latter, "breaking rules" result in confusion and nonsense!
    Last edited by student; 21st August 2006 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    means nothing to me.
    lol do you really meant it?

Quote Originally Posted by knpan
    lol do you really meant it?
    sometimes..

but then again if there's no composition in a picture, there's no picture.

so i slapped myself by saying it doesnt matter cuz i wanted to be artsy.

my bad, now i think composition is everything.

bleah.
    sigh.

composition to me is like writing.... its the gelling of different elements to tell a story....
    Last edited by Witness; 21st August 2006 at 05:20 PM.

quite alot of views here

fundamentally, as clown mentioned, composition makes the picture. ideas/aims/mood/whatever are communicated via composition. i haven't heard of an artist who denied the need for composition, not even a potter, musician or drama artiste, because it cannot be denied/erased, it just exist. as long as there's a need for communication, it exists. compositional rules are constantly created, and broken, and like what student mentioned, knowing why rules are broken is different from breaking a rule for the sake of breaking it (which explains the saturated state of consumerist artforms that are superficial, contain little substance and get outdated fast)

maybe members will like to share how we can improve the composition of our works? continue the sharing, hopefully everyone takes home something useful
    Last edited by eikin; 21st August 2006 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp
    LIFS..

Look Imagine Frame Shoot...in that particular order.
    before i forget, that's a good summary on what composition means to photography

composition is similar to the string or superstring theory. everything in the image is link to one another, no matter how chaotic or orderly it is. you might see it, you might not, or maybe not yet.
    two dots make a line..

so... there will always be composition, chaotic or not, it's still there.

now i think the proper question here should be is GOOD composition important. hehx
    sigh.

Composition = Feel just right?

Composition????

To me..... I only think of one thing...

INSTINCT!!!
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    maybe members will like to share how we can improve the composition of our works? continue the sharing, hopefully everyone takes home something useful
    As Clown mentioned, there is always "composition".

And I may add, "effective" or "not effective" for the purpose of making and showing the image.

Note that I did not say "good" or "bad" composition - because "good" or "bad" implies a value judgement. And I am not sure if that is a valid way of looking at images.

As mentioned earlier, although I often said "why not?" (to break rules), I am actually in favor of learning the basic "rules" of seeing and reading an image. Just that we should not have a Freudian fixation on such rules.

Learn to apply the "rules" for composition and using light and color. Let them be something that you use without even thinking.

Then as Benjymocha and halfmoon said, go with your feeling. Use your instincts. Make images "without" applying the rules. Make them with the "heart".

But come back to analyse the images with the mind, with all you know about "rules" - and see if breaking these rules help you to make the images and tell the stories you want.

Composition is the arranging of all the elements in the frame that most accurately potrays the message you want your picture to communicate.

do you see anything in this picture?

sigh.

composition is about making the whole picture feel balanced. Not too heavy and not too light. hehe. So each element supports another.

Regards,
    tltan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forcefilm
    Composition is the arranging of all the elements in the frame that most accurately potrays the message you want your picture to communicate.

ditto this

Usually I don't type much, but oh well for the sake of it.

Composition usually meant presenting elements in your frame in a particular order. Whether you're breaking the rules or not, there is always a form of order.

The idea of developing the visual imagination or the 'eye' is to look at a particular scene and derive that particular order that agrees with you

I would say that to exercise this, there are many ways:

1) Look at alot of visual arts. Go to the gallery. Take notes. Note which picture title, name and such agree with you and not. Percolate it through the night, Think about it, discuss about it. Define your stand on your choice. Get involved. Talk. Excite yourself about the visual arts. If it means looking through naked women by some hot shot, so be it.

2) Everytime you go out, just look. Camera or not, doesn't matter, but just glance around..and see a 'good frame' . You don't need to like particularly go out and find scenes..just when you're going outside for breakfast or running errands, or meeting girlfriends, just look and observe during your journey. Take an interest on what's happening around your surroundings.

3) Take critiques with a grain of salt. Your 'flair' comes from standing your ground..but you better know why you're standing your ground!!

From there, don't go 'Nah I can't do this' or 'NO WAY IN HELL could I do that'. Just be true what you want to do, and figure a way how to arrive there. If others could do it, so could you.

And remember, you want to be better than those who inspired you .

Bah, I've typed too much..time to head back to my hermit crab shell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12