Thread: Ethics of photographers - Lebanon

Default Ethics of photographers - Lebanon

Found this pretty interesting and informative site. it does questions how much a photographer can do to make a photo more interesting, like the part where they talked about photographers placing mickey mouse to prop up the picture for a more melancholic effect.

http://www.aish.com/movies/PhotoFraud.asp

Default Re: Ethics of photographers - Lebanon

It's all about forming public opinion, they learned it from the US and Russians how to use propaganda to their advantage.

../azul123

Really interesting article - thanks for posting. Disappointing but we shouldn't be surprised. The importance of propoganda has been known and exploited since the First World War. Bigger wars than the recent spat (speaking relatively) between Israel & Lebanon have been won and lost as a result of media coverage & public reaction (Vietnam for example). Very naive of the Israelis given the US recent examples of how not to accelerate change...

Unsurprising but always disappointing. I've never trusted media companies and verbal/written reports but still images from Reuters and AP? Shame.
    Robbo

Other than the smoke picture, the other examples are not established forgeries. Would they rather put pictures of teddy bears and mickey mouse toys lying around or would they prefer bodies of dead children trapped under the rubble?

The website (http://www.aish.com/) is more dubious than Reuters and AP. Makes absurd claims which they claim are facts. Common sense tells us when you deliberately drop a bomb on a residential area, many civilians will get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Yah, when cowardly terrorists fires rockets from residential areas, you have to strike them down, civilians building or otherwise..
    Actually in war, Geneva Convantion states that as long as you can prove that ANY religious / civilian / medical buildings habours your enemy's military buildup. That building can be classified as a military target.

Also (this I'm not sure tho) that in the event that if your enemy fires from hiding behind civilian screen you are allowed to return fire using approropriate force for self-defence.

That being said... there's still the issue of ETHICS on BOTH parties.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Original source....
    http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/

These days the media can be anything you want it to be with enough $$

They will use whatever mean to increase the support for their cause, truth or not. As long as they are ahead, it does seem that everything goes!

So read with caution.

Wonderful clip about journalism ethics.

I like the quote in the clip that was mentioned by Mark Twain. "If you don't read the newspapers, you are uninformed. If you read the newspapers, you are misinformed".

Something related to this was in the straits times some time back, about photographers delibrately editing the photos to give the readers false impressions. If I am not wrong, the newspaper wrote that as long as the editing is something that can be done even when using film, darkening etc. ,it is acceptable. If I don't remember wrongly, the part about putting props is not there.

Just as an example, if ever you want someone to look guilty just look at mug shots... even the likes of Mel Gibson, his mug shots looks mean.

So, it is the same if you want someone to look like a hero say "a politician" his/her pictures always appears smiling and happy, whereas his opponent will appear dark and angry, it's all part of how people react to these kinds of things... it's playing with your mind.

Another thing to note is how they say things, words like if I win I may create this and that, key word is "may" "maybe" "possibly" "if" etc... that's what world leaders took alot of time when they write in the UN Resolution, every single word is scrutinised to the detail to make sure there is no misinterpretation to mean another word, even with careful definition it is still twisted to make it misunderstood.

../azul123

That is why there is so much conflict in the world everywhere, everyone has their own agenda. The truth is almost hidden and if truth is what people are interested in, then it takes alot of hard work to sieve thru the information from both sides and it usually lies somewhere in the middle.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123

every single word is scrutinised to the detail to make sure there is no misinterpretation to mean another word, even with careful definition it is still twisted to make it misunderstood.

../azul123
    I would say politicians (outside of Singapore of course) spend more time trying to make sure the word CAN be misinterpreted to cover their own backsides when they fail to deliver
    Robbo

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo73
    I would say politicians (outside of Singapore of course) spend more time trying to make sure the word CAN be misinterpreted to cover their own backsides when they fail to deliver

Of course.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by hanafi
    Other than the smoke picture, the other examples are not established forgeries. Would they rather put pictures of teddy bears and mickey mouse toys lying around or would they prefer bodies of dead children trapped under the rubble?

The website (http://www.aish.com/) is more dubious than Reuters and AP. Makes absurd claims which they claim are facts. Common sense tells us when you deliberately drop a bomb on a residential area, many civilians will get killed.

i would rather have pictures of dead bodies HOWEVER most newspapers will be reluctant to print the face out ..

having said that.. i think that all viewers are entitled the true picture and not what the photographers deems is right or wrong.

The fact is that sometimes photographers are under immense pressure to produce a picture in a very short amount of time and unfortunatley haev to resort to using photoshop to achieve such means.

Well there are pictures of dead bodies but even these pictures are look upon with skepticism. Some say it was staged and some go as far to claim that their own people (Hezbollah) has killed them. No matter how clear the picture is, people with their own agenda and bias, will twist the facts around.

> Actually in war, Geneva Convantion states that as long as you can prove that ANY religious / civilian / medical buildings habours your enemy's military buildup. That building can be classified as a military target.

If I am not mistaken, under the Geneva Convention, the lives and property of civilians or surrendered soldiers are to be protected. You can't even shoot a medic from the opposing army. At least that was what Iíve learnt while in uniform.

> Yah, when cowardly terrorists fires rockets from residential areas, you have to strike them down, civilians building or otherwise.

Obviously the one making such absurd claims is the coward for he drops bombs on civilians while he is safe inside his F-16. Hard to believe that rockets (or even fireworks) is best fired near urban areas. No Lebanese or UN observer has ever confirmed this allegation.