Thread: What is the best way to preserve newspaper color?

Default What is the best way to preserve newspaper color?

As newspaper tends to become yellowish after some time, is there any way to preserve it to make it looks as if it's brand new even few years down the road?

Some options I've thought of:
    - Laminate it.
    - Color laser copy it.

Please advice. Thank you.

Default Re: What is the best way to preserve newspaper color?

scan and archive?

i dunno if this will work.. put in dry box?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    i dunno if this will work.. put in dry box?
    it's quite huge, a full page ad. So I'm not going to have fold marks by putting it in a dry box.

I don't mind framing it up, but I just need to find a way to preserve by not having any color-fade.

Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    scan and archive?
    Do you know where can I find such service?
    I don't have a scanner at home.

Is consumer scanner these days up to the standard? The last time I used one was more than 5 years ago and I don't like the visible lines across pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx

Is consumer scanner these days up to the standard? The last time I used one was more than 5 years ago and I don't like the visible lines across pictures.
    use camera and shoot? resolution ain't as high as scanner but should be pretty much readable.
    if you want higher resolution, you might want to try shooting it part by part and den merge using software just like panorama shots
    else might want to try lamination?
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 18th August 2006 at 08:08 PM.

I think most newspaper has some sort of acid inside that causes them to yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx

most scanners today are able to do general scanning nicely, without too much colorcast. but due to the high resolution capabilities, the color dots that make up the pics on the newsprint will be rather obvious, unless u can set the scanner software to do some dithering/de-patterning/de-screening to reduce the artifacts.

Laminate?

keep in cool and dry places... and occasional diluted bleach.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

if i m not mistaken, the reason the newspaper turns yellow is because of the air oxidising the newspaper and this process is accelerated becos of the humidity in the air..

if can get a large dry box (maybe 200L or 300L?) that is big enough to store ur newspaper without folding it, and then set the humidty to the lowest level..for example 10%?, i think the newpaper can last a long while..

actually, the cheapest and fastest way is to laminate it..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

acherly i would think that laminating only slows down the yellowing process. the inks (except black) that is used in newsprints do not really possess color-fastness. inks that is color-fast cost more and no newsprinter would wanna spend too much $ on getting quality inks when the average reading lifespan is at max few days (who bothers to read old news anyway?)

another way is to do microfisching, where newsprints are photographed onto film in to extremely small image for large volume archiving.

Wow thanks guys

Looks like I'm going to laser copy it, and to laminate the original copy Thanks!

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/newspap.html
    Tips from the Library of congress..

http://members.tripod.com/~mccurtain...ips/tip19.html
    Hmmm slightly "unorthodox" in that you will be soaking the paper in what looks like an alkaline solution :P

I think there's some kind of spray that renders docus, paper etc acid-free, that can be bought from scrapbooking suppliers.

Dry Cab may can prevent that. IIRC, the lower humidity setting is good for paper thing (less than 40% RH).

Regards,
    Arto.

bro...full page also can scan one la...i do it for my dad's stuff all the time...bring it to my house........

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    bro...full page also can scan one la...i do it for my dad's stuff all the time...bring it to my house........

Wow bro you are sooo nice
    Meantime I will try to get the graphic designer to send me the softcopy. If so, then I might not have to scan.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    if i m not mistaken, the reason the newspaper turns yellow is because of the air oxidising the newspaper and this process is accelerated becos of the humidity in the air..

if can get a large dry box (maybe 200L or 300L?) that is big enough to store ur newspaper without folding it, and then set the humidty to the lowest level..for example 10%?, i think the newpaper can last a long while..

actually, the cheapest and fastest way is to laminate it..
    Hi,

Just OT abit. Paper will turn yellowish because of the combination of Sunlight and oxygen and air. So if the paper is kept away from the Sunlight and air, it will remain white. Laminating will only slow down the oxidation process, as the air intact with the newspaper is reduced.

maybe you could roll it up then place it in the dry cabinet?