Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Trip to China (KuMing)

  1. #1

    Default Trip to China (KuMing)

    This is my Trip to KuMing... comments pls

    1)

    2)

    3)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    I'm going there next month, any advice on what lens to bring or any other travel tips?

  3. #3
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    need to watch on the exposure. slight overexposed / burnt areas. usually when shooting flim/slides i will underexpose it.

    and later handle them via photoshop.

    composition skills need polishing.

    like all starters, very snapish aka snap shotish....

    get close to the action u might just get the shot u want.

    its not all about freezing the moment with every thing in sharp detail thou....

    shoot more.....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    I like the first one though the picture seems a little bit noisy. Is it because you were behind a window at that time?

    btw, I think it should be KunMing instead of KuMing
    EOS 30D, 17-40/F4L, 35/2, Planar 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 70-200/F4L IS, 580ex
    welcome to my gallery

  5. #5
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by PnS
    I'm going there next month, any advice on what lens to bring or any other travel tips?
    prolly u might want to tell the threadstarter on what u intend to bring ? like wad DSLR, or any thing.....

    usually for travel, pple will usually pack ultra WA lens and one more zoom....

    for me. 17-35 and its good to go.....

    wide angles would be good..... what will you be shooting there first in the first place?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by PnS
    I'm going there next month, any advice on what lens to bring or any other travel tips?
    thanks glennyong for your kind comments.

    i haf asked him personally on this issue thou. and he stated several possiblities.

    first it was because i used ISO400 flim in broad daylight, and because i scanned the 4r photo directly via a scanner, thats why the grain or noise was visible...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    4)

    5)

    6)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    #4 #5 #6

    Pictures turned out to be noisy and white little spots spotted also. What ISO was used? And you might wanna blow away the dust with blower or lens tissue to get it off.

    And #5 you might wanna crop away the white stuff on the right.
    Last edited by versatile; 18th August 2006 at 11:29 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by versatile

    Pictures turned out to be noisy and white little spots spotted also. What ISO was used? And you might wanna blow away the dust with blower or lens tissue to get it off.
    u should have read the 6th post. he mentioned that he scanned the images at 4R, which means they are developed photos / printed photos and scanned directly via a normal scanner.

    as from Jeff_Tan, he told me that he used a normal ASA / ISO 400 flim is broad daylight, and under those lighting conditions, and scanning, grain would then be obvious. however if scanned directly via a flim scanner, the effect would be better at a price of the cost which i dun think he would want to do that.

    to my understanding, he is trying to keep cost low from not sending them for negatives scanning.

  10. #10
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    i believe many of us here would comment on the grain issue, and i havent seen anyone comment on issues like composition, technicalities of the picture like exposure and settings.

    come on, besides the grain.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Tan
    there are many situations where overexposure becomes inevitable so i won't go into that, but i particularly like this piece, i think it carries quite abit of story inside, try giving it an appropriate title

  12. #12

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    prolly u might want to tell the threadstarter on what u intend to bring ? like wad DSLR, or any thing.....

    usually for travel, pple will usually pack ultra WA lens and one more zoom....

    for me. 17-35 and its good to go.....

    wide angles would be good..... what will you be shooting there first in the first place?
    I'm bringing 350D, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Speedlight 420ex, Tripod, CPL, maybe Tian Ya GND, maybe Tamron 28-75, is that too heavy? I think the Tripod will kill me... Want to capture the natural scenery & cultural atmostphere.

  13. #13
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by PnS
    I'm bringing 350D, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Speedlight 420ex, Tripod, CPL, maybe Tian Ya GND, maybe Tamron 28-75, is that too heavy? I think the Tripod will kill me... Want to capture the natural scenery & cultural atmostphere.
    if you are travelling at own time own target, bringing a tripod is fine because i brought my tripod when i travel.

    Sigma 10-20, 17-50 would be fine..... 28-75 would be redundant because it is already overlapping with the 17-50... i dun think its worth the extra weight too.

    the Tian Ya GND is ok. 420EX is ok la.... the weight will not kill you also.. 2 lens is fine....

    but remember to bring lots of CF card or a image photo bank if necessary....

  14. #14

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    if you are travelling at own time own target, bringing a tripod is fine because i brought my tripod when i travel.

    Sigma 10-20, 17-50 would be fine..... 28-75 would be redundant because it is already overlapping with the 17-50... i dun think its worth the extra weight too.

    the Tian Ya GND is ok. 420EX is ok la.... the weight will not kill you also.. 2 lens is fine....

    but remember to bring lots of CF card or a image photo bank if necessary....
    Thanks for the info, I'm going on tour package, can leave tripod on coach if it's not needed. To capture close up of people's facial expression, would you think 17-50 is sufficient or would you carry a 70-200 along? Coz i find it difficult to capture people's natural expression over here whenever they realise a camera is pointing at them...

  15. #15
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    well... the 10-20 is a good bet. with the 70-200, it would be a good choice thou.... but if you had a 50 1.8 it would be good time to bring it out also.

    if u think u can carry the extra weight u should bring the 70-200.

    well. its you after all.....

    usually pple who go travelling with tour groups. its usually a general zooms as highly likely u will not have time to stand there to compose the shot and think the whole day too....


  16. #16

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Thanks for the advice, luckily my 70-200 is a f4...


    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    well... the 10-20 is a good bet. with the 70-200, it would be a good choice thou.... but if you had a 50 1.8 it would be good time to bring it out also.

    if u think u can carry the extra weight u should bring the 70-200.

    well. its you after all.....

    usually pple who go travelling with tour groups. its usually a general zooms as highly likely u will not have time to stand there to compose the shot and think the whole day too....


  17. #17
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Quote Originally Posted by PnS
    Thanks for the advice, luckily my 70-200 is a f4...
    then... it should be relatively light then.. hahaha.... the last time i went backpacking... it was a 70-200 f/2.8 + 3 more others...... total load on my baggage was like 78kg on backpack and 87kg on 2nd pack.....

    SIA staff almost wanted to scream my heads off when i carried my 1st pack up because of my camera and equipments..

  18. #18

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    Now that you mentioned, I hope my hand carried back-pack dont exceed the weight and size limit, I definitely do not want to check my equipment in... and oh no what about tripod??? The length is gonna exceed the limit...

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    then... it should be relatively light then.. hahaha.... the last time i went backpacking... it was a 70-200 f/2.8 + 3 more others...... total load on my baggage was like 78kg on backpack and 87kg on 2nd pack.....

    SIA staff almost wanted to scream my heads off when i carried my 1st pack up because of my camera and equipments..

  19. #19
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    tripod, monopod all very pointless to carry up because they are heavy, and take up space....

    all these u dump in ur check-in bags. while things like camera, laptop n lenses and those wine and beer that u are bringing along, better hand carry up.

    and dun bring such a big bag up unless u know the person sitting beside u... or else it will be a bad start off for a holiday liao....

  20. #20

    Default Re: Trip to China (KuMing)

    If you intend to do some night images it would be wise to bring a tripod, you will likely need it.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •