Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Black & white face portrait

  1. #1
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastie moved to NorthEastie
    Posts
    337

    Default Black & white face portrait

    Took during a shoot, but feel that is not good. Still lack of something. I need some pointers/comments on it. Thanks!

    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

  2. #2
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    cant see her eyes lay.
    lighting on the face is abit not here not there.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    The lighting is not so bad, maybe just add a little fill on the left, but only a little. Her eyes are a little dark, but I don't see that as a problem. I actually think it is a very nice portrait, witha great expression on the models face. The only complaint that I have (and this is a personal preference not a critcism) is I would like to see a greater tonal range across the face.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastie moved to NorthEastie
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    cant see her eyes lay.
    lighting on the face is abit not here not there.

    Hmmm, I dun know about her eyes. I can see quite clear of her eyes just a bit dark.
    I do have problems on using lighting in shoot. Ambient lights and flash...hard to gauge. Thanks for the comments!
    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

  5. #5
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastie moved to NorthEastie
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    The lighting is not so bad, maybe just add a little fill on the left, but only a little. Her eyes are a little dark, but I don't see that as a problem. I actually think it is a very nice portrait, witha great expression on the models face. The only complaint that I have (and this is a personal preference not a critcism) is I would like to see a greater tonal range across the face.
    Talking about tonal range... How to do it? How to have a greater tonal range especially for Black & White? Any guides?
    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

  6. #6

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Your black and white lacks contrasts, it's flat, and hence, boring.

    Some fill light from the front, esp for the eyes will improve the picture.

    More shadow to the left will give that additional contrast and depth I am looking for.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Quote Originally Posted by carnage3630
    Talking about tonal range... How to do it? How to have a greater tonal range especially for Black & White? Any guides?
    What conversion technique are you using?
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

  8. #8
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastie moved to NorthEastie
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Your black and white lacks contrasts, it's flat, and hence, boring.

    Some fill light from the front, esp for the eyes will improve the picture.

    More shadow to the left will give that additional contrast and depth I am looking for.
    Thanks for the pointers!
    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

  9. #9
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastie moved to NorthEastie
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    What conversion technique are you using?
    Conversion Technique? Convert to B&W using PS -> Desaturation. Is this what you are asking?
    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

  10. #10

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    Quote Originally Posted by carnage3630
    Conversion Technique? Convert to B&W using PS -> Desaturation. Is this what you are asking?
    If all you're doing is desaturating, then that explains the lack of contrast and tone. Explore some of the other methods available for better, more contralable results. I personally use the 'Channel Mixer' method most of the time, although there are 2 or 3 others as well.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    See this thread for BW conversion.

    Please contribute to the thread if you have any other method.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by carnage3630
    Conversion Technique? Convert to B&W using PS -> Desaturation. Is this what you are asking?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Black & white face portrait

    try this free software
    http://www.optikvervelabs.com/vph/help.html

    Brother Ah_seng intro one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •