Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preofessional L1 reviews

Default Re: Preofessional L1 reviews

Quote Originally Posted by weekh
    May get the L1 to use as a DSLR. I just love the rangefinder look of the cam.
    Or get the Leica lens and use it on a E3 / E5.
    I think that you will simply love the sharp and contrasty optics with no distortion of the Leica lens! And OIS is a big bonus!

IS on the lens and IS in the camera...was that not in the review blu read somewhere? http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-l1.html..."The Panasonic L1 will also be housed in the same body but will offer MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) in addition to Olympus' dust reduction feature." If this is so, does it mean that any 4/3 lens can be used and the IS will be avaliable....Ok...blu wanna get a L1 also...

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U
    IS on the lens and IS in the camera...was that not in the review blu read somewhere? http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-l1.html..."The Panasonic L1 will also be housed in the same body but will offer MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) in addition to Olympus' dust reduction feature." If this is so, does it mean that any 4/3 lens can be used and the IS will be avaliable....Ok...blu wanna get a L1 also...
    iirc some1 said before IS will oni be available in mode2 (non-active) for all 4/3 mount camera, but will available in both mode1 and 2 for L1. or was it the opposite?

mode1 - IS will only be activated when shutter is pressed
    mode2 - IS is activated all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U
    Well blu, you can just hold that thought...

It is probably a better idea to get the new Oly pro body to be announced at Photokina (end of Sep). Should be around the same price...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    iirc some1 said before IS will oni be available in mode2 (non-active) for all 4/3 mount camera, but will available in both mode1 and 2 for L1. or was it the opposite?

mode1 - IS will only be activated when shutter is pressed
    mode2 - IS is activated all the time
    Wrong la...

Mode 1 (IS on all the time) and Mode 2 (IS is activated at the moment the exposure is made)

Mode 1 makes framing easier - the IS system steadies the preview image. Mode 2, which minimizes the amount of movement needed by waiting until the actual moment you press the shutter, is claimed to be more effective, but to be honest after using several FZ models over the last couple of years I don't think it's as simple as that.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/page5.asp

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    Wrong la...
    haha 1 and 2 sld be opposite, typed wrongly

i qn though... if the lens has an aperture ring, then will changing apertures be tough if another lens (without the aperture ring) is used on the L1? Thought they could well make a body that INCLUDES the aperture ring just behind the lens mount...

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8
    i qn though... if the lens has an aperture ring, then will changing apertures be tough if another lens (without the aperture ring) is used on the L1? Thought they could well make a body that INCLUDES the aperture ring just behind the lens mount...
    from what i know, now all modern dSLR body are able to control the aperture of the lens, iirc L1 can does that as well. but one can also choose to set his/her aperture manually by turning the aperture ring. this is a function which are missing in most if not all modern dSLR

from what i know, now all modern dSLR body are able to control the aperture of the lens, iirc L1 can does that as well. but one can also choose to set his/her aperture manually by turning the aperture ring. this is a function which are missing in most if not all modern dSLR
    i understand, but since the L1 doen't have any command dials, i worry it may not be very ergonomical for such controls.

If you guys can wait, the Leica M8 is something to look forward to.... it's price, I mean...

With 4/3 lenses compatibility, one does not need to buy a L1 to be able to use Leica lenses.

However, the L1 is great looking isn't it? Has it landed on our shore yet? Anyone knows?
    Last edited by LifeWorld; 19th August 2006 at 11:51 AM.

There is an interesting field report on Luminous Landscape. The link is found in the DPReview Panasonic forum. Sorry but I don't know how to fit the link in - you guys will need to search it.

Conclusion - not great body especially slow buffering which to me is important for quick shots. What a disappointment! The lens apparently is great and so are the pics.

From the review its looks pretty impressive

I'm still waiting for Dpreview.com's review though

According to CP, L1 is coming around the end of the month or beginning of Oct.
    Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    According to CP, L1 is coming around the end of the month or beginning of Oct.
    Any takers?
    i wish... but $ is a big fat problem

L1 is such a nice camera. the more i look at it, the more tempting it gets. VEry impressive optics, no CA or purple fringing man! and all the controls so logically laid out.

But why why 4:3...and sceptical abt the live view. Tried the olympus E330 and wasn;t happy at all.

And the price is killer.

I on the other hand am very happy with my E-330 and think that Live View is the next best thing since white bread. It allowed me to shoot in ways that I have never could with other DSLRs. What I really can't understand is why many detractors seem to think that it's 'Live View' or 'No View'. It is just a bonus feature... photos can still be taken through the optical viewfinder like other non-Live View DSLRs you know.

Why Four-Thirds? Why not? The Four-Thirds is just a DSLR system with an aspect ratio (4:3) that many don't seem to realise is the same as that of non-DSLR digicams, making the transition for DSLR first-timers very painless. I have used Canon for many years ever since I picked up a film SLR until I got myself an Olympus DSLR. Nowadays, whenever I use my 20D, I don't know why but I find the 3:2 aspect ratio very constrictive for composition in portrait mode because it now seems to be too narrow.

My one misgiving about the L1 is that the LCD is not articulated like the one on the E-330, making the implementation of the Live View feature less effective. Then again, I suppose that I could always pretend that the L1 does not have Live View, never switch it on, and use the L1 like any non-Live View DSLRs.. and still be very happy with the camera because of the unique styling of the camera and the sumptuous Leica lens that comes with it.
    Last edited by tomcat; 12th September 2006 at 05:38 AM.

personally i prefer 3:2 over 4:3 as well. im just like wider photo rather than a "square" one. L1 is sure good to have, but thinking of the price $1999US... it makes me ... have to work more than 2 years of holiday part time job just to buy that kit.

Managed to handhold a D80, D200, 400D and the L1 in a Akihabara shop in Tokyo last week. As an ex-Leica R user, I thought the L1 looks rather huge and clumsy. It's also hefty. Handgrip not so good compared to the D80, D200 and even the 400D. Price is about S$3k.

Overall the D80 and D200 felt the best.

I loved the Leica optics. However I am a little disappointed with the L1 body's ergonomics.

Let's see when it becomes available.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast