Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NS and guys with dual citizenship

Default Re: NS and guys with dual citizenship

serious. What Values?

looking at that law there's no way u won't have to serve NS if you've not renounced the citizenship before the age of 11.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    looking at that law there's no way u won't have to serve NS if you've not renounced the citizenship before the age of 11.
    If you read it carefully, that's not what it means..

It says:
    Any male citizen liable for NS, who has migrated BEFORE the age of 11 and has not enjoyed any benefits of Singaporean citizenship (technically, I don't consider them benefits but....) beyond the age of 11 may renounce their Singaporean citizenship.
    To do so, they have to register with CMPB and apply to defer their NS till the age of 21. That's when they can legally renounce their citizenship.

I have no idea whether they'd actually approve all the applications to defer though... :P

On the same note, with the Malaysian Gov implementing NS, a lot of PRs here will face a similar issue. 2nd Generation PRs (male) are required to serve Singapore NS (fine with that) but since they are still Malaysian citizen, they may be choosen to serve NS in Malaysia too. Malaysian are randomly picked to serve NS for now AFAIK.

So how? this poor guy will have to serve 2 NS?

my suggestion is to give up singapore citizenship first, DO NOT give up US citizenship at all cost. Bear in mind there are no benifits being a Singapore citizen. Come here as a foreign talent to get a PR later if really needed.

I've recently been subjected to all these citizenship articles and restrictions, and it has been a great hassle even though I didn't have to worry about NS...

Singapore allows dual nationality only for minor citizens. The fact remains that under the Constitution, you cannot renounce Singapore citizenship until you reach the age of 21. There are no exceptions, so it is not possible to renounce it at age 11.

What to do here is simple... to apply for deferment from NS until 21, as that excerpt states. If unluckily for some reason that application is rejected, then he'll have to serve. If he doesn't, the government will withhold his registration to renounce. If he managed to defer, and he imediately renounced S'pore citizenship upon reaching 21, then he won't have to serve. So he'll only know the answer when he is due to enlist for NS.

This is like a little way around it. If the dual minor citizen lived in Singapore past age 10, then he will not be allowed to 'defer then renouce' this way and there will be no way out.
    Flickr | Fuji X-T1, X100S, Nikon D300, D7100

vince123123
    Guests

Just dont come back lor, after all since age 5 already not here liao, whats the point of coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by mud77man
    ... Not too bad nowadays, the reduced 2 yrs of training can actually benefit our young generation of male citizens and PR by inculcating certain desirable values.
    hmmm.. most guys feel that they are forced into the army rather than entering the army willingly. most of our kids nowdays are rather fortunate and very spoilt. they would probably try all ways and means to get out of army if they even could.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    What desirable values?
    i guess nothing very much. fitter? haha. they don't have a choice. but they will not remain fit for long.. most of them revert to their bad habits once again..

Quote Originally Posted by akira
    Have a quesiton here. My cousin has a American father and a Singaporean mother.
    He was born in Singapore but his family moved back to the States when he
    was 5. Currently he holds dual citizenship (US and Singapore). Is he required
    to come back to Singapore to do his NS if he gives up his Singapore citizenship
    before he turns 18? He hasn't been back here since he was 5.

At least his case is not as complicated as Americans are not required to service NS.
    What happens to those whose other nationaility is Isreal or some other country where
    they are also required to serve NS? Cimplicated huh.....
    First of all.. does he want to be a Singapore Citizen? If he wants too, than come back and serve the army. It isn't a very bad thing. As a man, he should behave like one.

However, having being exposed to the American environent for a long time, he may prefer to be over there. Where all his family, friends are all there.

Well. If he renounce his citizenship before 18, there is no need for him to serve the army. Giving up on his citizenship means that he has no intention of returning to stay or work in Singapore.

Cheers!

Thanks to everyone for the info. He's still too young to understand all these. When I see his parents next year I'll try to explain to them. Hope I don't get them more confused...

Oh yea.. I asked my officer about this.. He has to submit an application for deferment to the NS till 21, the age of majority; before he can decide to renounce his citizenship.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12