Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS and guys with dual citizenship

Default NS and guys with dual citizenship

Have a quesiton here. My cousin has a American father and a Singaporean mother.
    He was born in Singapore but his family moved back to the States when he
    was 5. Currently he holds dual citizenship (US and Singapore). Is he required
    to come back to Singapore to do his NS if he gives up his Singapore citizenship
    before he turns 18? He hasn't been back here since he was 5.

At least his case is not as complicated as Americans are not required to service NS.
    What happens to those whose other nationaility is Isreal or some other country where
    they are also required to serve NS? Cimplicated huh.....

Default Re: NS and guys with dual citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by akira
    Have a quesiton here. My cousin has a American father and a Singaporean mother.
    He was born in Singapore but his family moved back to the States when he
    was 5. Currently he holds dual citizenship (US and Singapore). Is he required
    to come back to Singapore to do his NS if he gives up his Singapore citizenship
    before he turns 18? He hasn't been back here since he was 5.

At least his case is not as complicated as Americans are not required to service NS.
    What happens to those whose other nationaility is Isreal or some other country where
    they are also required to serve NS? Cimplicated huh.....
    As long as one of the countries, which he holds the citizenship, (eg. Israel, Singapore, etc.) has NS, he has to go back to serve. Although Singapore do not allow dual citizenship, the fact that he is still holding a Singapore citizenship mean he has to come back to serve his NS when he turns 18 unless he renounce it before 18.

I think there is a catch here... you cannot renounce your citizenship before 18 as you do not have legal rights until you are 21. One of my friend in the US has this problem too, so he cannot come back to Singapore now without the fear of being not able to leave the country again before doing his NS.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean
    I think there is a catch here... you cannot renounce your citizenship before 18 as you do not have legal rights until you are 21. One of my friend in the US has this problem too, so he cannot come back to Singapore now without the fear of being not able to leave the country again before doing his NS.
    If that's the case, then when he comes back after turning 21 to renounce his citizenship, he will still be prosecuted under the law for failing to serve his NS and made to serve his NS before allowing him to renounce his citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    If that's the case, then when he comes back after turning 21 to renounce his citizenship, he will still be prosecuted under the law for failing to serve his NS and made to serve his NS before allowing him to renounce his citizenship.
    yeah... I dunno what's gonna happen.. he's not 21 yet.. hehe... pretty crappy I think

I hope this helps:

National service-liable males who migrated from Singapore before age 11 and have not enjoyed significant socio-economic benefits of citizenship (e.g., applied for a Singapore identity card or studied in Singapore beyond the age of 11) will be allowed to renounce their Singapore citizenship if they do not wish to fulfill their NS obligations. They will be required to register for national service with Central Manpower Base and apply for deferment from full-time NS until the age of 21, pending the renunciation of their Singapore citizenship. They can continue to make short social visits to Singapore and will not be required to serve NS if they renounced their citizenship at age 21.

Does Singapore allow dual citizenship?

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean
    yeah... I dunno what's gonna happen.. he's not 21 yet.. hehe... pretty crappy I think
    Oh, I get it he's not 21.

../azul123

Take the following with a pinch of salt. I'm not sure of my facts.

I think Singapore does not allow dual citizenship. To become a Singapore Citizen, you MUST renounce citizenship of other countries.

But if you are already a Singapore citizen and take up citizenship of another country which allows dual citizenship, as long as you don't formally tell the government about it, they'll assume you're still a Singapore citizen (how are they going to find out unless you tell them anyway?).

If you're born in Singapore and are a Singapore citizen, you're liable to NS (unless, of course, you renounce your citizenship at age 21, as mentioned above).

I know this guy who left Singapore when he was 5 years old, and grew up in India. He came to Singapore as a TOURIST when he was 23 years old. He was promptly arrested at the airport and before he knew what was happening, he was crawling around Pulau Tekong in camouflage uniform...

Quote Originally Posted by azul123

../azul123
    No, our laws do not recognise dual citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123

../azul123
    Hope this helps:

If the child is born overseas and has dual citizenship (citizen from the parentís country of stay and citizen of Singapore), the child would have to decide on his/her choice of citizenship before the age of 21 is attained. If he/she chooses to retain Singapore citizenship, he/she must take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty when he/she turns 21 and before attaining 22 years of age. This oath can be taken at the nearest Singapore overseas mission

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    Hope this helps:

If the child is born overseas and has dual citizenship (citizen from the parent’s country of stay and citizen of Singapore), the child would have to decide on his/her choice of citizenship before the age of 21 is attained. If he/she chooses to retain Singapore citizenship, he/she must take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty when he/she turns 21 and before attaining 22 years of age. This oath can be taken at the nearest Singapore overseas mission

Yeah, if he chooses to retain his Singapore citizenship and take the oath when he turns 21, it means he also has to come back to serve his NS. Does it means that he chooses not to accept the Singapore citizenship and thereby forego the NS?
    Last edited by redstorm; 16th August 2006 at 11:50 AM.

Why don't you as the relevant authorities instead of asking the question here.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Yeah, if he chooses to retain his Singapore citizenship and take the oath when he turns 21, it means he also has to come back to serve his NS. Does it means that he chooses not to accept the Singapore citizenship and thereby forego the NS?
    Correct. If he chooses SG citizenship, he would have to renounce his US citizenship as well. SG does not recognize dual citizenship and will make sure that no one holds more than 1.

I hope this helps:

National service-liable males who migrated from Singapore before age 11 and have not enjoyed significant socio-economic benefits of citizenship (e.g., applied for a Singapore identity card or studied in Singapore beyond the age of 11) will be allowed to renounce their Singapore citizenship if they do not wish to fulfill their NS obligations. They will be required to register for national service with Central Manpower Base and apply for deferment from full-time NS until the age of 21, pending the renunciation of their Singapore citizenship. They can continue to make short social visits to Singapore and will not be required to serve NS if they renounced their citizenship at age 21.
    That statement is true.. He need to choose which citizenship at 21 and if he renounce the spore citizen, he does not need to do NS. Most important clause is he had to be under 11.

Quote Originally Posted by smsoh
    That statement is true.. He need to choose which citizenship at 21 and if he renounce the spore citizen, he does not need to do NS. Most important clause is he had to be under 11.

10.5 yrs old to be exact. As long as the boy is above this age, he is liable for registering for and enlistment into NS. If one wants to renounce, he has to do it before this age, or after 21 (after completing his full time NS stint).

BTW, this criteria doesn't apply to Singaporean PRs. Can renounce the PR status whenever they want (except when they're serving), but reapplying for the PR again means much more difficulty.

Not too bad nowadays, the reduced 2 yrs of training can actually benefit our young generation of male citizens and PR by inculcating certain desirable values.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    I know this guy who left Singapore when he was 5 years old, and grew up in India. He came to Singapore as a TOURIST when he was 23 years old. He was promptly arrested at the airport and before he knew what was happening, he was crawling around Pulau Tekong in camouflage uniform...
    I know it's cruel to laugh! but this is REALLY funny!

Quote Originally Posted by mud77man
    Not too bad nowadays, the reduced 2 yrs of training can actually benefit our young generation of male citizens and PR by inculcating certain desirable values.
    What desirable values?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I hope this helps:

very helpful,
    or he can get his neighbourhood together and vote the opposition in,
    so he will not be called up till the ruling party supporters all mati in action.
    wait, i think i got confused with the upgrading programme,
    but maybe someone can enlighten me?
    what's the diff???

jude

That law is entrapment. Plain and simple.

Do not give up your United States citizenship at all costs.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast