Thread: do you meter when you use flash??

Default do you meter when you use flash??

Hi guys.. been a while since I have posted in this corner liaox.. I was shooting when I had the following question:

1. I would like to know if you 'zero-in' a meter when you shoot with a flashgun.. or do you compensate??
    2. how does manual flash compensation work??

ha ha.. pardon my ignorance.. thanks in advance!!

regards,
    bokeh1.8
    join me in my quest in kevyyn.deviantart.com

Default Re: do you meter when you use flash??

I would like to know if you 'zero-in' a meter when you shoot with a flashgun.. or do you compensate??
    • Depending on what subject I am shooting, and the camera I am using. Most of the time, I compensate about a third of a stop.
    how does manual flash compensation work??
    • Read your manual.

On-camera metering is to control the amount of ambient lightyou want to end up with. The flash exposure is determined by the aperture only, nothing to do with the shutter speed - as long as your are still synced.

Flash compensation is adjusting the +/- according to the color of the point just prioir releasing the shutter. AF lock and recompose technique is usually the one main factgor in getting the wrong flash output.

If subject is white, then add at least 1.5 stop. If subject is dark, the, -1 to 1.5 stop.

This is very generinc for flash photogy.

Hoep this helps.

DT
    Last edited by dreamtheatre; 16th August 2006 at 12:39 PM.

As mentioned above, flash exposure is affected only by the aperture. So to either underexpose of over, you must first get the correct aperture for the subject distance on the table that is either printed on your flash or in the manual. Then its just a simple matter of closing the aperture to reduce the exposure or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    As mentioned above, flash exposure is affected only by the aperture. So to either underexpose of over, you must first get the correct aperture for the subject distance on the table that is either printed on your flash or in the manual. Then its just a simple matter of closing the aperture to reduce the exposure or vice versa.
    Pardon me, above is if you do manual flash mode.

AFAIK, the flash itself can control its flash's duration in order to overexposure or underexposure (ok, if it is max already, can not overexposure anymore). The overexposure or underexposure by flash doesn't change the camera's aperture.

Regards,
    Arto.

There is such a thing as a flash meter which I use, normally with studio flash.