Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: portraits and poses

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    buangkok crescent
    Posts
    57

    Talking portraits and poses

    hi bro........
    what are the lens to use 4 portraits and poses

  2. #2

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Gnenerally the 70-200 mm range is good for head and shouder to face crop portaits. the 28-70 MM range is good for 1/2 body to environmental portraits... Keep in mind basics like lighitng/distracting backgorunds etc..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  3. #3

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny hoe
    hi bro........
    what are the lens to use 4 portraits and poses
    If strictly for portriats, a standard lens such as 50mm or 85mm might work better.

    However, any lens can be used to shoot portraits! =)

    Regards,
    tltan

  4. #4

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny hoe
    hi bro........
    what are the lens to use 4 portraits and poses

    The ideal portraiture focal length for 35mm is 90mm.

    But many do not adhere to this ideal.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    There is no right or wrong focal length for Portraiture.

    Depends where you are. Studio or outdoor?

    Each focal length has their strong and weak point. Learn and use it wisely. If you have not bought any lens, then try with a standard lens (50mm). Once you are able to understand portraiture more, then only invest higher grade lenses such as 85mm f1.4, 105 f2DC, 70-200 f2.8 and so on.

    Wide angle lenses are nice too but becareful on the distortion of your subject.

  6. #6

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny hoe
    hi bro........
    what are the lens to use 4 portraits and poses
    Actually the correct question should be:
    what are the lens NOT to use for portraits and poses .....?
    Probably the wide and super wide lens below 20mm, and lens above 300mm.
    In between any lens are ok. The most favourable is the 85mm.
    always the Light, .... always.

  7. #7

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny hoe
    hi bro........
    what are the lens to use 4 portraits and poses

    As Pro Image mentioned, there is no right or wrong lens. A lot depends on the type of portraiture you are attempting to do.

    A portrait can be just a headshot, in which case a "longish" lens in the range of 80-120 might be suitable. But very long lens also can produce distortions by compressing features.

    A portrait can be a whole body shot in which case, especially limited by space where you are making the portraits, a wider angle lens will be more suitable, such as 35 mm.

    A good compromise to start with will be what Pro Image had suggested - 50 mm lens, which will produce less distortion and allow you to take half body shots as well as full body shots.

    If you look at the images by Willie03, most of his shots are taken with a wide angle lens. But this lens will not be suitable for tight faceshots, unless your intention is to make caricatures.
    Last edited by student; 15th August 2006 at 04:30 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    unless your intention is to make caricatures.
    hahahaha .....................
    that's a good one!
    always the Light, .... always.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    buangkok crescent
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    thank bro...........

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    This is an informative thread so far, kudos to all CSer bros for contributing their generous insights (with no OT or ridicule at the TS, which is getting rarer nowadays).

    I would like to ask a question of my own...this is also an age-old question and pretty subjective...I know of course almost any lens (generally) between 35mm and 300mm can be used for portraiture, and its also a personal preference kinda thing, but when it boils down to zooms or primes, which category of lens would you choose to put in your bag and why?

    The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine who shoots portraiture (not pro, also a hobbyist) claims that primes are the only way to go for taking portraits...due to sharpness, better bokeh etc. Well of course lar but well nowadays zoom lenses give pretty good quality too, and offer more flexibility and speed in composing.

    My personal preference at the moment is zooms... but I do use primes sometimes too, depending on situation.

    TIA!
    Last edited by Garion; 15th August 2006 at 05:16 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    yo bro.. hmm... i stopped using zooms for portraits.. stick to primes these days cos of better quality.. but yur friend is not wrong also.. zooms.. are for convenience lor........
    i have not used my 70-200 for a long time liao..

  12. #12

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    anyway.. to the TS..

    i use 10mm to 135 mm for most portraits..
    but i think for studio shots.. most might like to use 85mm..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    yo bro.. hmm... i stopped using zooms for portraits.. stick to primes these days cos of better quality.. but yur friend is not wrong also.. zooms.. are for convenience lor........
    i have not used my 70-200 for a long time liao..
    Thanks for your reply hehe...this friend ar...you know him also.

  14. #14

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Thanks for your reply hehe...this friend ar...you know him also.
    erm...................... D_ _ _ F_ _ _ _ ?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    erm...................... D_ _ _ F_ _ _ _ ?
    Er nope ..lol

    Ok better dun OT liao...

  16. #16

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    This is an informative thread so far, kudos to all CSer bros for contributing their generous insights (with no OT or ridicule at the TS, which is getting rarer nowadays).

    I would like to ask a question of my own...this is also an age-old question and pretty subjective...I know of course almost any lens (generally) between 35mm and 300mm can be used for portraiture, and its also a personal preference kinda thing, but when it boils down to zooms or primes, which category of lens would you choose to put in your bag and why?

    The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine who shoots portraiture (not pro, also a hobbyist) claims that primes are the only way to go for taking portraits...due to sharpness, better bokeh etc. Well of course lar but well nowadays zoom lenses give pretty good quality too, and offer more flexibility and speed in composing.

    My personal preference at the moment is zooms... but I do use primes sometimes too, depending on situation.

    TIA!
    Generally for portraits I would pick primes. Actually for almost everything I would prefer using a prime unless the situation really calls for a zoom. Relative to portraits,
    1) For posed images, there's plenty of time to compose, so what's this about speed? Flexibility? You're going to be saving a couple of seconds at most. These seconds don't usually matter for posed portraits.

    2) For candid portraiture such as streets, sometimes the decisive moment can be lost in a couple of seconds. For this reason alone a zoom may be the choice of some here. Personally, primes have rarely(I have trouble remembering when but I think never would be a bit presumptuous) caused me to miss a shot because of framing issues, so I stick to primes anyway.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Generally for portraits I would pick primes. Actually for almost everything I would prefer using a prime unless the situation really calls for a zoom. Relative to portraits,
    1) For posed images, there's plenty of time to compose, so what's this about speed? Flexibility? You're going to be saving a couple of seconds at most. These seconds don't usually matter for posed portraits.

    2) For candid portraiture such as streets, sometimes the decisive moment can be lost in a couple of seconds. For this reason alone a zoom may be the choice of some here. Personally, primes have rarely(I have trouble remembering when but I think never would be a bit presumptuous) caused me to miss a shot because of framing issues, so I stick to primes anyway.
    Thanks for the reply and insights. Actually let me rephrase my sentence a little...I had meant to say that having a zoom could in effect be more convenient than several primes as you would not need to switch to and fro between different lenses (unless of course you have two or more bodies). But yeah generally for posed portraits you can afford the luxury of having the time to compose and zoom with your feet. Candid portraiture is another thing altogether.

    But yes on the whole primes do give better image quality than most zooms.

    ps. noticed you sold your 85mm 1.8 recently, care to share why? Just wondering. Been thinking of getting this lens myself.

  18. #18
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    yo bro.. hmm... i stopped using zooms for portraits.. stick to primes these days cos of better quality.. but yur friend is not wrong also.. zooms.. are for convenience lor........
    i have not used my 70-200 for a long time liao..
    agree...

    zooms are much lighter, that's the reason why i use them now too. as for quality, well, the amout of pp i do to my work, end up u also won't be able to tell wat lens i use lar.. so in a way i'm saying, quality of the lens doesn't really matter, both primes and zooms i use are sharp enough for me.

    i compare two lenses - 85/1.4 and the 70-200/2.8. with the prime, i have a fixed length, but i have faster f stop and MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH lighter weight to carry around climing up and down trees and getting funny angles and what have you.

    oh but in a studio, i only swear by one lens (for now).. ahhaha 18-70dx at f5.6 and above.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    Quote Originally Posted by tltan
    If strictly for portriats, a standard lens such as 50mm or 85mm might work better.

    However, any lens can be used to shoot portraits! =)

    Regards,
    tltan
    Are you using a 1.6 crop DSLR??
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  20. #20

    Default Re: portraits and poses

    I usually go with 50mm F1.4 and 105mm f2.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •