Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for cheap DSLR...

Default Looking for cheap DSLR...

alrdy hv a Canon Ixus i5 to play with...
    thinking of getting a cheap Canon or Nikon DSLR to play with... budget ard $1k, any suggestions? no hurry though... so maybe can wait for price drop???

Default Re: Looking for cheap DSLR...

Check the BnS forum. U might have better luck there.

Get Canon 350D or Nikon D50. Both are entry level and slight more than $1K.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

second hand D70, 300D and 10D.

guess for 1k budget d50 will be the one. tho 350d is also on the low side but new set cost ard 1400 while d50 is ard 1100. for 2hand you can consider d70s / d50 / 350d

thx to all CS-ers who had suggested the above models... will do more research & chk wallet size

dear CS-ers who had offered to sell me 2nd hand DSLRs. Thank you very much for the offers. But, like I said above, I wun be purchasing any DSLR in the short term.
    Now only reviewing which model I shld get & try to save up for it. Maybe even take up instalment plan. So wun be nice to buy from u guys cos I can't pay full amt.

Thanks very much

Member/Tangshooter

Save up for body or lens?? u need a long long time..

Should maybe go for the D70s..versatile body+good kit lens..
    except for.. 1.) incorrect White Balance - which can be corrected
    2.) small viewfinder - just have to get use with it
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

actually contemplating between D50 and 350D, cos on the lower end... actually jus saving up to buy the basic kit. slowly build. wun go pro in this, so the basics will do lor... an advantage of choosing Nikon is if my fren wanna sell her stuff, i can get 2nd hand frm her cheap cheap... she's a Nikon fan... maybe give myself a few mths to save, shld be able to buy the basic kit liao

Do not only look for cheap dSLR. You need also to considering a whole system. Your camera is only a base. Later you need to add lens(es), flash(es), accessories, etc., etc.

Regards,
    Arto.

wait for upcoming D80.. or D200 anytime..

With the official launch of D80, the prices of D70 and D70s will drop drastically.

I have not seen the D80 yet, but from the specs, SD card is not something I want to use in a DSLR unless I am using compacts.

Of course, D200 will be a good choice if you can afford it. But since you mentioned 'cheap' DSLR, a used D70 or D70s is my choice.
    Last edited by photobum; 22nd August 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by VR2
    wait for upcoming D80.. or D200 anytime..
    Guys guys...TS say cheap dslr.....

thanks for all the inputs, guys

hv decided to save up for D50 liao...

is using SD on DSLR so bad as many mention?
    wat so bad bout using SD on DSLR?

hmm... no idea leh

my fren who use dslr also using sd card leh... she told me dun use cf card wor...

Quote Originally Posted by VR2
    is using SD on DSLR so bad as many mention?
    wat so bad bout using SD on DSLR?
    Slower transfer speed, and not as reliable as good ol' CF cards.

Most top-of-line professional DSLR uses CF cards (some accept both CF and SD, but we still prefer CF).

Also, 7 out of 10 professional photographers I know use CF cards, 3 of them shoot tethered.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd August 2006 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Slower transfer speed, and not as reliable as good ol' CF cards.

Most top-of-line professional DSLR uses CF cards (some accept both CF and SD, but we still prefer CF).

Also, 7 out of 10 professional photographers I know use CF cards, 3 of them shoot tethered.
    oh, i believe you never use a SD card on a DSLR... some professional cammeras uses SD cards you now. Speed is card dependent, SD card main drawbacks is its current limit on 2gb on most makes.

For your information i use both SD and CF cards and the SD failure rate is lower than CF cards from the same company and last i purchase cards 2 months ago, 2gb SD cards are way cheaper than CF cards of the same capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    ....For your information i use both SD and CF cards and the SD failure rate is lower than CF cards from the same company and last i purchase cards 2 months ago, 2gb SD cards are way cheaper than CF cards of the same capacity.
    My experience is otherwise. Most professionals I know, both locally and internationally (mainly the US), use CF cards.

Failure rate compare within the same brand doesn't mean anything to me in this day and age of outsource production. The brand maybe the same but one can be made in China and the other made in Taiwan. Different production facilities, different QC standards. Not to mention, different manufacturer of internal flash RAM. If you want a very good example of what I meant by this, Seagate is it. I always find those made in Singapore quieter and more reliable than those made in China.

Also, I own an array of CF cards and I don't think I want to charge. By the way, CF or SD are just storage medias. It has nothing to do with whether or not it takes better picture. Similar to some people prefer to backup in DVDs, whereas some prefer external HDs.

It just happened that SD is not my cup of tea doesn't mean everybody must boycott this storage media.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd August 2006 at 08:56 AM.

Member/Tangshooter

Sorry to further OT..just my point of view.

It just happen that most of the professional cameras support CF cards..If one day Canon decide to release a 1DMark3 or Mark4 or even a Nikon D2Xss or D1SS..whatever the name..but it only support sony memory stick..would u buy it?

Would u decide for a camera base on the storage media? Just think, dun answer me.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast