Thread: Just like a drawing

Default Just like a drawing

The photo was taken at Luzern in Switzerland last month. At the center there is the most famous sight in Luzern called Kapellbrucke mit Wasserturm. The baroque style building at the right side is the Jesuitenkirche Church.

I am newbie here, waiting for your comments. Thanks.

EOS 30D, 17-40/F4L, 35/2, Planar 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 70-200/F4L IS, 580ex
    welcome to my gallery

Default Re: Just like a drawing

A good try for a newbie. This is something different from the angle; usually most of the time people would take from the other end of the Kapellbrucke but I guess what attracted you to try is probably the blue sky. However from a technical stand-point your photo is kind of heavy on the right and with the building looking tilted it seems even more imbalanced. Should try to improve on your framing. I think you are also trying to cram too many things into the photo; I think you probably have better results if you "zoom-in" into specific part of your view and not have too many subjects. For such a view if you really want to take a landscape to show the expanded view, you'll probably have it better if you don't use too wide an angle and do panoramic shots of the area (join them up by software); this way you can cover more area which I think is better for you because on the left side I believe were some nice looking buildings too if I remember correctly particularly on those with unique widows a-la a nun headress. Good try anyway. I'm sure you'll improve eventually.
    Last edited by ob1canob; 15th August 2006 at 01:40 PM.

nice colour and interesting angle. good attempt bro!

Quote Originally Posted by ob1canob
    A good try for a newbie. This is something different from the angle; usually most of the time people would take from the other end of the Kapellbrucke but I guess what attracted you to try is probably the blue sky. However from a technical stand-point your photo is kind of heavy on the right and with the building looking tilted it seems even more imbalanced. Should try to improve on your framing. I think you are also trying to cram too many things into the photo; I think you probably have better results if you "zoom-in" into specific part of your view and not have too many subjects. For such a view if you really want to take a landscape to show the expanded view, you'll probably have it better if you don't use too wide an angle and do panoramic shots of the area (join them up by software); this way you can cover more area which I think is better for you because on the left side I believe were some nice looking buildings too if I remember correctly particularly on those with unique widows a-la a nun headress. Good try anyway. I'm sure you'll improve eventually.
    Thanks for your technical comment ob1canob. Yes, I did want the imbalanced style in the picture, which would give a wonderfully perspective feeling. But you are right, it looks too empty on the left side. Adding some buildings or mountains on the left side might be better. But I still want to keep the asymmetry.

Doing panoramic shots and joining them together is a great idea, I will try that later .

Quote Originally Posted by blackelements
    nice colour and interesting angle. good attempt bro!
    Thank you for your encouragement.
    EOS 30D, 17-40/F4L, 35/2, Planar 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 70-200/F4L IS, 580ex
    welcome to my gallery

Nice angles and colours, but the church looks like it is going to collaspe anytime.