Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 350d or d70s

Default Re: 350d or d70s

Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    nice fish !!! wah u guys ah .... making me more confused .. anyway to rent these 2 cams before i take the plunge ? need to find out which would suit me . U guys from AF too ?

heres the best shot i can take out of the hundreds i tried ...

Using iso 400 ... the rest i dunno ... using my 5700
    rest assure, you will get more detail with both 350d or d70s at iso400. iso400 for dSLR now is like nothing, not much of noise, thus lesser details removed from noise reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by rokieto
    when i had my film eos as a newbie, I found it "intuitive" for me.

But I guess all SLR/DLSR whether nikon or canon, need some finding out if the user is new to it. I look at the nikon operations & control, the AF selector has no markings or indication, so had to findout too, maybe it is just more convenient in operation for some. So wouldn't really call it intuitive.

That's why some swear by their Nikon, some swear by their Canon, some switch from Nikon to Canon, & vice versa.

For people wo used SLR/DLSR, if switch brands, their will "intuitively" seek to select AF point, by intuitive trail & error or simply ask or read the manual. (doesn't take much time or effort to findout, unless the manual is not user-friendly)

Anyway, AF point selection is just one aspect of so many controls, which may be more important to some & less to others (pros & cons, how the user makes the best use of it). I started with Canon, but when I see the control operations of Nikon (even other brands), I just thought it is basically the same in the end.

So....Nikon or canon, is just a "one man's meat is another's poison". Ultimately it is the photographer's interest, skills & talents that really makes a difference.

have a nice weekend & shooting.
    If you've read my previous posts (in this and other threads), you would realise that I do not buy into the Canon vs Nikon crap. I do agree that both brands have their strengths and weaknesses. I did find the 20D to be easy to figure out w/o referring to the manual. And I do prefer Canon's WB over Nikon.

However, I personally find the 350D to be a different kettle of fish. In comparison with the D70s, I feel that it isn't a good camera for a newbie to start with, the camera being rather user unfriendly (being polite here) in the ergonomics dept.

I'd recommend that they start with the 20D/30D, if they want to buy into the Canon system. While if they wanted to buy into the Nikon system, the D70s would be a good starting point.

I work on the maxim that if a camera's UI can't be worked out in 5 -10 mins w/o the need to reference it's manual, it's not good enough.

Any camera is capable of 1/100s..

The key issue is whether the lens allows enuff lights to pass thru it in order to expose the scene correctly at a high shutter speed.

The kit lens can open upto approx f3.5 or f4 max.
    The 50f1.8 can open upto f1.8, there's approx 2 stops diff.
    If the correct exposure for the fish tank in your room is f2 @ 1/125s @ISO800 using the 50f1.8,
    It means that with your kit lens, with a max aperture of f4, the settings will be 1/30s @ISO800.

Hmmm i think my 5700 is capable of 1/100 ?? i not too sure must check . I'll try again tomm .. thks for the explanation . Meantime ... still considering the D70s or the 350D ... like the shape of the canon but i started with a nikon so .... still deliberating .

nice fish !!! wah u guys ah .... making me more confused .. anyway to rent these 2 cams before i take the plunge ? need to find out which would suit me . U guys from AF too ?

heres the best shot i can take out of the hundreds i tried ...

Using iso 400 ... the rest i dunno ... using my 5700
    yea man, i m from arofanatics, same nick ! wa..ur super red very swee leh... i like the shape very much... can see the redness near the tip of the mouth is that a green-based red?

ya...actually any DSLR eg. both D70s and canon 350D can get more details than the one u posted..the PnS has a smaller sensor size and thus there is a bit limitations to how much details it can catch..

actually at the moment, i would highly recommend that u read up more abt both systems of canon and nikon (a)their line of DSLR i.e. if u intend to upgrade in the future see wat they have for u, (b)their flashes i.e. ability and cost, and (c) their lenses) and also to find out more on how to use the DSLR..becos its quite a leap from the 5700 u have

an example is: one thing abt the 50mm F1.8 lens is that, it has a fixed focal length, meaning u can't zoom at all..and it is not wide enough if u like wide landscape photos..However the cost is abt $180 for nikon and $130 for the canon one, thus u might wanna getting it as an extra lens to complement the kit lens u have that comes with either the D70s or 350D.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    yea man, i m from arofanatics, same nick ! wa..ur super red very swee leh... i like the shape very much... can see the redness near the tip of the mouth is that a green-based red?

ya...actually any DSLR eg. both D70s and canon 350D can get more details than the one u posted..the PnS has a smaller sensor size and thus there is a bit limitations to how much details it can catch..

actually at the moment, i would highly recommend that u read up more abt both systems of canon and nikon (a)their line of DSLR i.e. if u intend to upgrade in the future see wat they have for u, (b)their flashes i.e. ability and cost, and (c) their lenses) and also to find out more on how to use the DSLR..becos its quite a leap from the 5700 u have

an example is: one thing abt the 50mm F1.8 lens is that, it has a fixed focal length, meaning u can't zoom at all..and it is not wide enough if u like wide landscape photos..However the cost is abt $180 for nikon and $130 for the canon one, thus u might wanna getting it as an extra lens to complement the kit lens u have that comes with either the D70s or 350D.
    Me too , same nick also .. Its a PR .. what base color i also dunno Got PLJ sigh but still love it to bits lah .

I think i'll go find a shop that rents these cams to test each one out b4 i commit .. see which suits me .

Thanks for the tips bro .... later upz u for the info

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    If you've read my previous posts (in this and other threads), you would realise that I do not buy into the Canon vs Nikon crap. I do agree that both brands have their strengths and weaknesses. I did find the 20D to be easy to figure out w/o referring to the manual. And I do prefer Canon's WB over Nikon.

However, I personally find the 350D to be a different kettle of fish. In comparison with the D70s, I feel that it isn't a good camera for a newbie to start with, the camera being rather user unfriendly (being polite here) in the ergonomics dept.

I'd recommend that they start with the 20D/30D, if they want to buy into the Canon system. While if they wanted to buy into the Nikon system, the D70s would be a good starting point.

I work on the maxim that if a camera's UI can't be worked out in 5 -10 mins w/o the need to reference it's manual, it's not good enough.

Frankly, I find the 350D shortcomings when I compared it to my 1st SLR eos50, is in terms of accessibility to controls.
    But the 350D compared to 20D is not much difference in controls or level of ergonomics. Basically, having to press one button then turn a dial, same across the models & some brands (e.g. nikon). As for the Eos50 film body, very direct access by turning a knob, e.g. metering mode, drive mode, etc, which I find hard to forgo in the digit body. But after getting used to it, I just focus on taking pictures instead.
    Still, I hope to see a digit equivalent of eos50 (controls).
    Shortcomings of 350d, to me is more of the grip size, viewfinder size, small & close buttons at the back (esp, timer button combined with Drive mode), other then that, getting to know how to use it is sometimes what you were used to or prefer (which i felt was easy & not an issue). as for D50 /D70, I heard from a friend with D200 that the D50/D70 controls are also not good, but I wonder why. I guess what is intuitive to one is not to another.

So my advise to the thread starter is to consider:
    -do you have friends using both, so can try, feel, get their feedback & decide which one you like.
    -do you have more canon or nikon friends, so can borrow lens in some situations.
    -yes, if you want Canon, & dont like small grip, small view finder, then go for 20D or 30D. some might just love the compact size of 350D though. e.g. travel, or just simply more packable.
    -maybe the replacement for 350d has bigger grip? bigger vfinder?

otherwise, flip a coin, or just decide on one, & start taking pictures lah....
    Last edited by rokieto; 20th August 2006 at 01:30 AM.

Hey, I'm also from AF. Fish photography's probably what got me started in photography.
    One thing I forgot to add, it depends on how you want to take pictures of your fish. If you prefer shots without using the flash, you will need good performance at high ISOs, maybe 800 to 1600.
    For this aspect, the 350D wins. For D70s, you'll probably need to run it through some noise reduction software.

If you do want to use flash, i suggest using off-shoe cord etc. Using the flash on your camera's going to prevent you from shooting the fish straight on. If you do take at an angle, the glass tank will distort the shape of the fish.

If you do get the 350D, get the vertical grip. Not only does it help with the ergonomics, you get more shots.

Another thing of note is that the replacement model for D70s has been announced, the D80, so you'll probably find more people selling their d70s in the coming months at a cheaper price.

The 350D's replacement model could also be announced in September at Photokina.

If you can afford it though, can consider going for the 30D

im not a a nikon nor canon user here. the only SLR camera I had was a minolta 3xi and DSLR was a Fujifilm S1pro.

ive got friends who use 350d and d50,d70s.

personally, i rented a canon 20d before. i got used to the canon 20d and d50,d70s in a few mins but took around half hour to get used to the 350d. maybe its just me. the d50 kit is comparably the cheapest DSLR with kit lens you can find out there .

honestly, it doesnt matter what camera you get, canon or nikon. it doesnt matter how long u need to take to get used to it as long as you are satisfied with ur purchase. the amount of time can be compensated with the pics you take. after all, when using SLR(in the old film days) we were using trial and error, what can go wrong with DSLR ? its just a few clicks away and deleting that makes the difference.

what should be in your mind is not performance. but what YOU can do with your camera. a canon VS nikon is like having AMD Vs Intel.

when i buy my next dslr , i'll go for comfort and budget

*ps* you gotta hands on. sometimes people give u so much opinions u get confused. hands on yourself and feel the difference . then decide
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by midicity
    Another thing of note is that the replacement model for D70s has been announced, the D80
    OT: Erm, i dun think D80 is D70s replacement leh. Anyway i'm more into lenses

IMO a 350D has an "ok" grip. small, easy to pack and very light when coupled with a 50mm prime or kit lens. i thought it is the perfect camera for travelling or just casual shooting.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by wanzw
    IMO a 350D has an "ok" grip. small, easy to pack and very light when coupled with a 50mm prime or kit lens. i thought it is the perfect camera for travelling or just casual shooting.
    if ur hand is of average size, you might want to try the 30d or d50/d70s den you will know the difference between them and 350d

wait for the 400D.

ya. have to admit D70 has godlike grip compared to 350d. grip aside. performance IMO 350D.

400D! argh.LOL.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by wanzw
    ya. have to admit D70 has godlike grip compared to 350d. grip aside. performance IMO 350D.

400D! argh.LOL.
    erm how do you judge performance? hehe basically i only find 350d noise performance better than d70 and 8MP vs 6MP(not a big prob)... other feature they are on par to me. In fact when comparing kit lens quality, d70s should be 350d 18-55 hands down with the 18-70.
    but in the end it still up to you.

just a note, the D50 and D80 are proven to be much much better in noise control compared with d70/d70s.
    as for 400d, too new, no preview or sample picture to judge.

one of the main reasons for me to choose canon over nikon is also the better noise reduction technology.

i guess i can live with the smaller grip. been using school's d70 for my entire sec sch years. noise cmi. don't forget to mention d70 has 2 dials while 350d has one. affects only M mode though.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

up to you. you will be the one using it, so just get the 1 you like most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    Very funny. I can't see the correlation between how fast u can work out the operation of a camera with whether it'll be a good camera for a newbie.

You keep emphasizing that a newbie should try to get a camera which they can operate without referring to the manual. Sorry for saying this, but I really think this is one of the worse advise anyone can give to a newbie.

Getting a familiar body which one can operate without referring to manual should apply more to an experienced photog than a newbie.

IMHO, a newbie SHOULD carefully read through every page of the instruction manual, and whatever writings on technical aspect on operation of DSLR and digital processing he manage to gather. This is very important.

If some inexperienced newbie wish to get a camera that can allow them to go firing immediately without learning, I will advise them to get a simple point & shoot compact, no point getting a DSLR.

For a newbie, reading through the manual is the most basic and easiest avenue to start learning about DSLR photography. If he/she is not willing to go through even this first step, no need to look further, save money & get a point & shoot compact.

I have no particular preference over Nikon or canon or even minolta/sony/olympus. Many young guys I know can use any of these, including the 350D with ease, after taking my advise to read through the manual. And they stop asking silly open ended questions and start to develop more specific ideas on what they need to know more after doing so. So far none of them come back to me and complain that their camera is hard to operate.

I know you are entitled to your preference and opinion, but bear in mind that you are giving advise to newbie. Try not to let them develop some unrealistic wishful thinking that there are some DSLR out there that can let them start shooting good pictures within 10 mins.

It may be applicable to you, but again, you are giving advise to a newbie.

Blog Entries

both D80 and 400D have been announced

wait for both to appear at the shops
    bring 1 x SD card and 1 X CF card
    try the cameras for yourself and decide which one
    feels better in your hands.

and look at the pictures on your computer screen

because both N and C are good.

Errrrr, guys....

Thread Starter has already bought a 350D 2 weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by bugsz
    hi i got a 2nd hand 350d just to play with it.

Thumbs up Re: 350d or d70s

D70S

Quote Originally Posted by bugsz
    any suggestion on which should i get?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast