Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 350d or d70s

Default Re: 350d or d70s

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    If you have to learn how then it isn't intuitive is it?

Intuition
    The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition.
    when i had my film eos as a newbie, I found it "intuitive" for me.

But I guess all SLR/DLSR whether nikon or canon, need some finding out if the user is new to it. I look at the nikon operations & control, the AF selector has no markings or indication, so had to findout too, maybe it is just more convenient in operation for some. So wouldn't really call it intuitive.

That's why some swear by their Nikon, some swear by their Canon, some switch from Nikon to Canon, & vice versa.

For people wo used SLR/DLSR, if switch brands, their will "intuitively" seek to select AF point, by intuitive trail & error or simply ask or read the manual. (doesn't take much time or effort to findout, unless the manual is not user-friendly)

Anyway, AF point selection is just one aspect of so many controls, which may be more important to some & less to others (pros & cons, how the user makes the best use of it). I started with Canon, but when I see the control operations of Nikon (even other brands), I just thought it is basically the same in the end.

So....Nikon or canon, is just a "one man's meat is another's poison". Ultimately it is the photographer's interest, skills & talents that really makes a difference.

have a nice weekend & shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    opps those r not settings ah ? lol .. goes to show how newbie i am ...

So do the standard kit lens for both these cams come with the above lens ?
    of cos no, 350d only comes with 18-55mm/f3.5-5.6 while d70s comes with 18-70mm/f3.5-4.5

but no worry, the 50mm is pretty affordable at $120+ for canon and $170+ for Nikon

opps those r not settings ah ? lol .. goes to show how newbie i am ...

So do the standard kit lens for both these cams come with the above lens ?
    Do u mean, "can a D70s with kit lens take that kind of arowana pictures?"

if that is wat u want to know, the answer is definitely yes + chop + money-back-guarantee. i myself got a RTG at home and i always shoot it.. with the D70s and kit lens.

To take proper arowana pics, equipment is only part of the equation for a nice aro pic.. u also need to ensure that the glass is cleaned very very sparkling clean..both external (use magic clean) and internal (use the magnetic scrub)

So wat are u waiting for? Go buy the D70s NOW!
    Last edited by kcuf2; 19th August 2006 at 03:48 PM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    of cos no, 350d only comes with 18-55mm/f3.5-5.6 while d70s comes with 18-70mm/f3.5-4.5

but no worry, the 50mm is pretty affordable at $120+ for canon and $170+ for Nikon
    well if thats the case then i'll get the body only n buy a seperate lens ? Sorry for all these newbie qns ... but u mean theres no way to get such shots if i use the standard lens ? I'll need a 50mm / f1.8 to get such shots ?

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    Do u mean, "can a D70s with kit lens take that kind of arowana pictures?"

if that is wat u want to know, the answer is definitely yes + chop + money-back-guarantee. i myself got a RTG at home and i always shoot it.. with the D70s and kit lens.

To take proper arowana pics, equipment is only part of the equation for a nice aro pic.. u also need to ensure that the glass is cleaned very very sparkling clean..both external (use magic clean) and internal (use the magnetic scrub)

So wat are u waiting for? Go buy the D70s NOW!
    hahahahh alamak u make my hands itch for my wallet ! already getting screamed at for buying a 1k plus cam to take pics of fish ...

BTW .... i also considering the 350D (price cheaper) also higher pixels . But many still go for the nikon

well if thats the case then i'll get the body only n buy a seperate lens ? Sorry for all these newbie qns ... but u mean theres no way to get such shots if i use the standard lens ? I'll need a 50mm / f1.8 to get such shots ?
    no i din't say you can't get such shot. read ur previous question... you were asking me with the 50/f1.8 lens comes with either 350d or d70s kit, and my ans is NO.

hahahahh alamak u make my hands itch for my wallet ! already getting screamed at for buying a 1k plus cam to take pics of fish ...

BTW .... i also considering the 350D (price cheaper) also higher pixels . But many still go for the nikon
    u give me a moment, i show u a sample of a pic of my rtg to enhance ur itchiness

no i din't say you can't get such shot. read ur previous question... you were asking me with the 50/f1.8 lens comes with either 350d or d70s kit, and my ans is NO.
    oh ok ... so the standard lens which comes with the cam is sufficient ? i dont need a really good lens .. just a lens that allows me to take such shot .. "i know the photographer is impt ... how good the cam is also no use if photographer is lousy" (my pals always "suan" me this) but at least it helps lah

I also take pics of my car ... thats about it

u give me a moment, i show u a sample of a pic of my rtg to enhance ur itchiness
    Wah u WICKED man !

higher pixel count? are you going to do very large print like 20"x30"? if not i think the 6MP from D70s is more than enough. personally i would go for d70s rather than 350d(price from harvy normal, 350d kit = $1599, d70s kit = $1788 iirc) the $200 bucks is pretty worth it as d70s kit lens is far better than the kit lens that come with 350d. d70s also provides more features than 350d, the only disadvantage when comparing this 2 camera is that d70s noise control ain't as great as 350d, but still very much usable.

fyi you can easily sell d70s kit lens at $250-300 but 350d kit lens at $100 or less, which also mean the price different of body alone are very very close

higher pixel count? are you going to do very large print like 20"x30"? if not i think the 6MP from D70s is more than enough. personally i would go for d70s rather than 350d(price from harvy normal, 350d kit = $1599, d70s kit = $1788 iirc) the $200 bucks is pretty worth it as d70s kit lens is far better than the kit lens that come with 350d. d70s also provides more features than 350d, the only disadvantage when comparing this 2 camera is that d70s noise control ain't as great as 350d, but still very much usable.

fyi you can easily sell d70s kit lens at $250-300 but 350d kit lens at $100 or less, which also mean the price different of body alone are very very close
    hmmm okok thanks so much for the info .... i was actually lookin ard for the SONY R1 (the carl zeiss lens make me gian) but the amount i pay for a R1 , might as well get a DSLR for few hundreds more

Wah u WICKED man !
    #1 Whole body

#2 Close up on scales

#3 Close up on the eyes

Hestitate no more, go and buy NOW!!!!!!
    Last edited by kcuf2; 19th August 2006 at 04:10 PM.

#1 Whole body

#2 Close up on scales

#3 Close up on the eyes

Hestitate no more, go and buy NOW!!!!!!
    Hey thats a nice RTG !! Close ups also can shoot so clear ??!! with standard lens ? how far away do u stand from ur tank ? i'll go take me afternoon nap and tonight go see see look look . It is on tripods ?

Maybe i go on monday safer ... buy the D70s n hide my 5700 .. both also Nikon n looks about the same(in layman eyes) CO wont suspect a thing ! Muahahahah

KCUF2- nice arowana pics!!!

Hey thats a nice RTG !! Close ups also can shoot so clear ??!! with standard lens ? how far away do u stand from ur tank ? i'll go take me afternoon nap and tonight go see see look look . It is on tripods ?

Maybe i go on monday safer ... buy the D70s n hide my 5700 .. both also Nikon n looks about the same(in layman eyes) CO wont suspect a thing ! Muahahahah

haha..i m abt 50cm to 1m away from the tank..the room where the tank is put in is quite small.
    For the closeup, i never stand so close to the fish, i just zoom in on the first picture and then "cut out" the head and the scales..

Yes this is taken with the standard lens..the standard lens is quite good
    Dun worry abt the 50mm F1.8 lens..
    er nope, its not on a tripod, its taken handheld with flash.. the fish swim so fast in the tank, if on tripod, i got to keep twisting and turning the tripod..very mafan and hard to catch up with the fish..

Just wipe clean ur tank and then use the inbuilt flash, things should turn out pretty ok

btw: u could sell away ur current cam 5700 and fund the D70s too
    Last edited by kcuf2; 19th August 2006 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    KCUF2- nice arowana pics!!!
    hehe thanks

To capture such pics, you need to set your camera to AI Servo mode to track the movement of the fish. Both the Canon & Nikon cam are capable of that.

Secondly, you need to shoot at a shutter speed fast enuff to freeze the movement of the fish in motion, probably well above 1/100s, the faster the better.

Whether you need the 50f1.8 depends on whether your room is bright enuff. If you are able to shoot with the kit lens at high shuttle speed, then you don't need the 50f1.8, otherwise you may need the speed of a wider aperture lens as flashlight shd be avoided under such circumstances as you will see strong reflection from the glass which will spoil the pics.

I don't think choosing the canon or nikon is a big issue for u, both shd be able to help you grab the pics, as long as that there's enuff lights to enable u to shoot at a fast enuff shuttle speed.

i m also a newbie and i m using the CP5700 to shoot pictures of my fish . Problem is , i cant get to shoot pics of moving objects(my fish) most of the time thet r very blur n only once in a very blue moon i'll get clear pics .

After seeing some shots of another guy shooting his fish .. someone asked him what cam he's using and his reply was - I am using Nikon D70S with 50mm/F1.8.

I m still undecided between the D70s n the 350D . My question is ... can a normal D70s or 350D with standard kit lens come with the above setting ?

image courtesy of my0000

Here's my RTG taken with 350D, 50mm f/1.8, no flash, tank lights only. Cropped
    Remember that 350D has less noise at higher ISOs, allowing you to shoot without using flash

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo
    To capture such pics, you need to set your camera to AI Servo mode to track the movement of the fish. Both the Canon & Nikon cam are capable of that.

Secondly, you need to shoot at a shutter speed fast enuff to freeze the movement of the fish in motion, probably well above 1/100s, the faster the better.

Whether you need the 50f1.8 depends on whether your room is bright enuff. If you are able to shoot with the kit lens at high shuttle speed, then you don't need the 50f1.8, otherwise you may need the speed of a wider aperture lens as flashlight shd be avoided under such circumstances as you will see strong reflection from the glass which will spoil the pics.

I don't think choosing the canon or nikon is a big issue for u, both shd be able to help you grab the pics, as long as that there's enuff lights to enable u to shoot at a fast enuff shuttle speed.
    Hmmm i think my 5700 is capable of 1/100 ?? i not too sure must check . I'll try again tomm .. thks for the explanation . Meantime ... still considering the D70s or the 350D ... like the shape of the canon but i started with a nikon so .... still deliberating .

Quote Originally Posted by midicity
    Here's my RTG taken with 350D, 50mm f/1.8, no flash, tank lights only. Cropped
    Remember that 350D has less noise at higher ISOs, allowing you to shoot without using flash

nice fish !!! wah u guys ah .... making me more confused .. anyway to rent these 2 cams before i take the plunge ? need to find out which would suit me . U guys from AF too ?

heres the best shot i can take out of the hundreds i tried ...

Using iso 400 ... the rest i dunno ... using my 5700
    Last edited by flightspeed; 19th August 2006 at 10:38 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast