Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help in shooting jewelry

Smile Need help in shooting jewelry

Hi, can someone teach me how to take pic for jewelry for the purpose of posting in web for sales.

I do not have a "mini studio" at home, what back ground shld i use ? cardboard or cloth ? colour ? etc etc.

Tks

My resources :
    1. D70
    2. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8
    3. Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    4. Tokina 12-24mm
    5. SB-600
    6. D70 kit lens
    7. Tripod

Default Re: Need help in shooting jewelry

Quote Originally Posted by Chew Siow Ming
    Hi, can someone teach me how to take pic for jewelry for the purpose of posting in web for sales.

I do not have a "mini studio" at home, what back ground shld i use ? cardboard or cloth ? colour ? etc etc.

Tks

My resources :
    1. D70
    2. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8
    3. Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    4. Tokina 12-24mm
    5. SB-600
    6. D70 kit lens
    7. Tripod
    i think there is some tutorial around, can search for it... last see, think manfrotto & buy-it-on-the-web sites have.

anyway, depends on the jewellery, most will contrast with black. but have to learn flash techniques 1st. since u only got 1 light, i think u have to make a small box to diffuse the light... from bottom.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

macro / close up setup.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    macro / close up setup.
    never notice, he dun have a macro lens...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i think there is some tutorial around, can search for it... last see, think manfrotto & buy-it-on-the-web sites have.

anyway, depends on the jewellery, most will contrast with black. but have to learn flash techniques 1st. since u only got 1 light, i think u have to make a small box to diffuse the light... from bottom.
    pardon me... but not quite sure wht do u mean by "make a small box to diffuse the light...from the bottom ?

pardon me... but not quite sure wht do u mean by "make a small box to diffuse the light...from the bottom ?
    later got time i go draw 1 let u see... hehehe... its just a concept since u only got 1 flash...

>> Yup I visited few website that have jewellery photography including manfrotto, but those r more for studio set up which i don't have most of those equipments.

I got one IKEA black table, many pcs of marjong papers and a fluorescent table light as well... hehe...

>> CYRN << tks for advice too. cheers

>> Yup I visited few website that have jewellery photography including manfrotto, but those r more for studio set up which i don't have most of those equipments.

I got one IKEA black table, many pcs of marjong papers and a fluorescent table light as well... hehe...

If you are shooting only rings, then this setup i think should be able to bring radiance out... anyway its just a concept i have, who knows maybe it could be a Andrew Ting's Lightbox II hehehe...

anyway, u see, the small box, sides are black, the top should be white, then the base transparent or translucent, so when it flash, the light would go up bounce on the top then distribute sideway creating radiance. so it will seem like a 2 light setup. if u wan, u could even make the 2 side panels mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    If you are shooting only rings, then this setup i think should be able to bring radiance out... anyway its just a concept i have, who knows maybe it could be a Andrew Ting's Lightbox II hehehe...

anyway, u see, the small box, sides are black, the top should be white, then the base transparent or translucent, so when it flash, the light would go up bounce on the top then distribute sideway creating radiance. so it will seem like a 2 light setup. if u wan, u could even make the 2 side panels mirror.

WOW ! that was FAST I really appreciate yr effort to draw it out,thks bro. now..... how to fabricate the box
    quite easy lah, i draw using 3D, haha, and to size somemore... hehehe... use cardboard lor, since its a small item.

quite easy lah, i draw using 3D, haha, and to size somemore... hehehe... use cardboard lor, since its a small item.
    tks bro... will try....

If you're gonna shoot the jewelry on a flash surface I would suggest black velvet or something close, it absorbs the light so you get a really clean background. If you want to play around with reflections you can try black acrylic.

Hi,

Naturally, you have also already perused this thread for more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nOd3
    If you're gonna shoot the jewelry on a flash surface I would suggest black velvet or something close, it absorbs the light so you get a really clean background. If you want to play around with reflections you can try black acrylic.
    thks... tried out some shots ystdy... turned out to be a catastrophe. used a black cardboard as b/gnd + flash, don't know why the black doesn't look black at all, it seems a bit reflective. maybe shld use velvet...

thks... tried out some shots ystdy... turned out to be a catastrophe. used a black cardboard as b/gnd + flash, don't know why the black doesn't look black at all, it seems a bit reflective. maybe shld use velvet...
    hmmz.. just checking, your flash u set to which mode? u should set it to the lowest rate, then u set your camera to manual 1/125, then aperture depends on your flash power, reckon should be f13 & above.

if black not black enuff, there is always photoshop...

Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep
    Hi,

Naturally, you have also already perused this thread for more ideas?
    u r right. visited liao... actually i don't need excellant & pro output, just helping sister-in-law to take some "simple" pictures for her to post in the web for sales..

may be just some simple DIY studio .

tks

hmmz.. just checking, your flash u set to which mode? u should set it to the lowest rate, then u set your camera to manual 1/125, then aperture depends on your flash power, reckon should be f13 & above.

if black not black enuff, there is always photoshop...
    certainly I used f/13 & above, Aperture prioity mode, flash power ?? I leave it to TTL. thot i can lay my trust on Nikon SB-600 TTL Mah...
    Last edited by Chew Siow Ming; 15th August 2006 at 07:41 PM.

certainly I used f/13 & above, Aperture prioity mode, flash power ?? I leave it to TTL. thot i can lay my trust on Nikon SB-600 TTL Mah...
    dun use TTL, use manual, use the lowest setting and try

dun use TTL, use manual, use the lowest setting and try
    say.... can i use a black not reflective fabric placed against the wall at a "L-shape" layout, and use a normal table lamp as natural light & in addition a low setting flash ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast