Thread: Withdrawal of employment acceptance

Default Withdrawal of employment acceptance

Just wondering is there anyone working in HR or legal area can give me some advise...

Problem:
    If I have signed the "Offer of Employment" of Company A, however 2weeks later Company B gave me a better offer and my intention is to accept their offer and give-up Company A offer which i have siged.

So in this case do I have to compensate Company A if there isn't any clause that mentioned "penalty for withdrawal of acceptance" in the Letter of appointment ? However the letter of appointment does indicated that "2 weeks notice is required" if either party wanted to terminate the contract.

Can someone please advise ?

Default Re: Withdrawal of employment acceptance

Quote Originally Posted by lemon3_tea
    Just wondering is there anyone working in HR or legal area can give me some advise...

Problem:
    If I have signed the "Offer of Employment" of Company A, however 2weeks later Company B gave me a better offer and my intention is to accept their offer and give-up Company A offer which i have siged.

So in this case do I have to compensate Company A if there isn't any clause that mentioned "penalty for withdrawal of acceptance" in the Letter of appointment ? However the letter of appointment does indicated that "2 weeks notice is required" if either party wanted to terminate the contract.

Tell Company A that you do not want to join them anymore and you leaving are leaving 2 weeks later. Then tell Company B that you joining them 2 weeks later. But I believe Company A will let you off immediately as you had not even go for their orientatiton at all

Problem:

Just give them a courtesy call telling you are not coming because you have had a better offer.

If Company A insists that you must compensate them, visit MOM. Remember to bring along your letter of acceptance.

Smile Re: Withdrawal of employment acceptance

putting aside ethical consideration of your decision, as you have not commenced employment with co A, i do not think that compensation in-lieu of notice comes in at all. it has nothing to do with orientation as raised by a forumer.

however, be sure that you peruse the t & cs of the contact. in any case, do act responsibly as far as co A is concerned, if you decide to jump ship.

Problem:

you just got to read thru the T&Cs properly. Some will require you to pay some amount back if you terminate with X number of weeks. most doesn't and require you to give them only 1 week advance notice before comfirmation. If you haven't even started work, then tell them truthfully you got a better offer and would like to leave, see if they'll be willing to couter offer or just let you go.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Thanks everyone for the advise ! I'm still considering the new offer. If it is really worth it than i'll inform Company A know about my decision.

don't take too long, sitting on the fence will normally lead you to a lose-lose situation
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler