Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Lens discussion, Tamron vs Sigma vs Tokina

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sgp/China/TW
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Originally posted by Beyblade
    On the subject of optics, PHOTODO tests / MTF charts ( which I must admit I do not totally understand ) seem to give the SIGMA 70-200 significantly higher points than the TOKINA

    I have been using the TOKINA 80-200 ATX Pro for quite long and find the sharpness at f2.8 not acceptable At f4, it is sharp. But this sometimes limits my opportunities during poorly lighted catwalk shoots. I have no experience with the SIGMA, and have been wondering whether it is worth to sell my TOKINA and get the SIGMA. Can anyone advise on the SIGMA's performance / sharpness when wide open ?

    My only experience with SIGMA is the 100mm f2.8 EX macro lens which I find optically SUPERB !!!
    hi wat mount user r u?

  2. #22

    Default

    I use Minolta Dynax 7. As per my other thread which u have kindly responded, while I am still mulling over the thought of replacing my TOKINA with the SIGMA, I am also still worried about possible compatibility problems witht the 7. SIGMA USA replied my email saying that the CURRENT version of the 70-200 is already fully compatible with the 7. Now, how would I know whether the stock in the shop is "current"...or been there for years..and how "current" is current..

    Oh, and thank you for the interesting f2.8 shootout site..
    Though I dont read Chinese, the numbers can still understand lah. These numbers appear to contradict the PHOTODO data..


  3. #23

    Default

    Just realise that the Tokina's lens hood must be screwed onto the front lens thread. and the hood is irreversible. darn!

    also, i don't like the softness at f/2.8. why buy a f/2.8 lens when what i want is acceptable sharpness at f/2.8
    Last edited by mervlam; 12th January 2003 at 05:07 PM.

  4. #24

    Default

    So u find the TOKINA soft at f2.8 as well ? Have you tried the SIGMA 70-200 ?

  5. #25

    Default

    not yet...

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sgp/China/TW
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Originally posted by Beyblade
    So u find the TOKINA soft at f2.8 as well ? Have you tried the SIGMA 70-200 ?
    i think the canon L series is very sharp.........

  7. #27

    Default

    Originally posted by roti


    i think the canon L series is very sharp.........
    the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM costs about $2000. sian.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sgp/China/TW
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam


    the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM costs about $2000. sian.
    Nikkor AF-s also not cheap..........

  9. #29

    Default

    Originally posted by roti


    Nikkor AF-s also not cheap..........
    at least Nikon has the AF-n 80-200mm

    Canon only has two similar "toa pao" that is so expensive.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sgp/China/TW
    Posts
    659

    Default

    ya......hor......lucky me then......

  11. #31

    Default

    Originally posted by Beyblade
    I use Minolta Dynax 7. As per my other thread which u have kindly responded, while I am still mulling over the thought of replacing my TOKINA with the SIGMA, I am also still worried about possible compatibility problems witht the 7. SIGMA USA replied my email saying that the CURRENT version of the 70-200 is already fully compatible with the 7. Now, how would I know whether the stock in the shop is "current"...or been there for years..and how "current" is current..

    i use the same camera body, and i just got the sigma 70-200 f2.8 last week from AP. most shops don't seem to stock sigma for minolta mounts, so as far as i know the only other shop that has the lens for minolta now is John 3:16.

    the lens works great, absolutely no problems at all!

  12. #32

    Default

    hi Munfai,

    tq for the info. What does AP stand for and where is it ? ( pardon for asking since i'm from m'sia ) . How much did u buy it for ? how is the sharpness wide open ?
    tq

  13. #33

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam


    the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM costs about $2000. sian.
    Originally posted by roti


    Nikkor AF-s also not cheap..........
    tell me about it

    here is Australia the

    Canon 700-200 f/2.8 L is around AUD $4400

    Nikon AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 is around AUD$4100

    with

    Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 around the AUD$2000 mark

    and AUD$1 will get me SGD$1

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sgp/China/TW
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy




    tell me about it

    here is Australia the

    Canon 700-200 f/2.8 L is around AUD $4400

    Nikon AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 is around AUD$4100

    with

    Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 around the AUD$2000 mark

    and AUD$1 will get me SGD$1
    mm....
    i guess it is the canon 70-200 f2.8?? its at abt 2.4 to 2.5k
    Nikkor AF-S 80-200 f2.8 is at 2.8 to 2.9k
    Nikkor AFD 80-200 f2.8 is at 1.5-1.6k



  15. #35

    Default

    Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy




    tell me about it

    here is Australia the

    Canon 700-200 f/2.8 L is around AUD $4400

    Nikon AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 is around AUD$4100

    with

    Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 around the AUD$2000 mark

    and AUD$1 will get me SGD$1
    er.... that's Aussieland for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •