Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Travel Restrictions & Camera Gear

Default Re: Travel Restrictions & Camera Gear

Hey guys,

For info, the securtiy check at Germany airport is as normal - metal detector and x-ray your baggage etc. Handcarry (Laptop, camera, handphones etc) is allowed both on SQ and Lufthansa flight no prob! But no liquids and powders is allowed for handcarry from what i heard. (I just came to Germany few days ago) no worries!

Fumio
    Last edited by Fumio; 17th August 2006 at 05:29 PM.
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

Thanks Fumio for the info. Anyone else who's just travelled with their camera gear? Care to share your experiences?

Search other websites for more. Example:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19589802

Just flew back from Vietname/Hanoi on Sunday..

Security seems the same, tho' there was a tense moment when it was discovered that a passenger checked-in his/her luggage but did not board the plane.. The luggage was off-loaded, delaying the flight..

About general travel insurance, i rem that coverage for cameras is from S$500 - S$2000..
    If anyone knows where to get higher coverage for gear, I'm all ears...
    [golf gear gets higher claim coverage it seems..]
    Canon 30D 100-400mm L IS|Tamron 17-35mm/f2.8-4,28-75mm/f2.8|Cosina Voigtlander Bessa-R 35mm/f2.5C

Quote Originally Posted by ady
    Thanks Fumio for the info. Anyone else who's just travelled with their camera gear? Care to share your experiences?
    just called Finnair Singapore 10 min. ago to inquire about my trip to Europe (Helsinki-Zurich) beginning of September.

No restriction of Cameras-Equipment to be handcarried on board according to customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally
    Just flew back from Vietname/Hanoi on Sunday..

Security seems the same, tho' there was a tense moment when it was discovered that a passenger checked-in his/her luggage but did not board the plane.. The luggage was off-loaded, delaying the flight..

About general travel insurance, i rem that coverage for cameras is from S$500 - S$2000..
    If anyone knows where to get higher coverage for gear, I'm all ears...
    [golf gear gets higher claim coverage it seems..]

I bought AVIVA insurance - S$500 per article only and max baggage claim is S$3000. (Classic plan)

Btw, anyone know how to get speccific camera insurance?

Fumio
    Last edited by Fumio; 17th August 2006 at 05:51 PM.
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

Quote Originally Posted by Fumio
    I bought AVIVA insurance - S$500 per article only and max baggage claim is S$3000. (Classic plan)

Btw, anyone know how to get speccific camera insurance?

Fumio
    I'm not sure where to get specific camera insurance, but I just got this other thing - Personal Belongings Worldwide Coverage. It's actually a sort of extension of household insurance, but you can insure some of your items overseas as well. The only problems are that it isn't a per trip basis kind of policy, so you're paying an annual fee if you only want to insure stuff for one trip, and that you need to do the home policy first before you can get the worldwide personal belongings cover. But it's not that bad cos the minimum premium applicable is $105 only.

The thing I liked about this policy is that you can insure each lens/camera body separately (most travel insurance policies count camera+all your lenses as one set and the max you can claim is S$1000 or something stupid like that), and you need to provide reciepts for each item (e.g. the camera body alone, or one individual lens) that costs more than $2000.

The plan is called SmartHome Optimum by AXA. If you need more details PM me - going out of the country for a week or so but will try to reply asap.

Smile Re: Travel Restrictions & Camera Gear

I just return from Thailand last week after staying there for 14days travelling to the north -Old Sukhothai and Phitsanudok. I brought along Lecia R8, minilux 2.4 and Canon 10D and compact digial and a portable canon postcard printer - hand carry. I was allowed to handcarry no need to check in as lugged. I fly TG. I am going on the 28 next week again to see the new airport and will be bring 5 cameres with Lowepro comput- trekker backpack. This time to the north-east Udong and Khon Kaen and NAKHON PHANOM near Lao border and Phayao north-east of Chaingmai for two week.

regading insurance for cameras, those who bought used cameras without receipt will have to be careful. based on my own experience, if u need to make a claim, the insurance company will ask u for proof of purchase, which normally would be a receipt.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345