Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Travel Restrictions & Camera Gear

Default Re: Travel Restrictions & Camera Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    then that would be pointless to get expensive camera/equipments already. in singapore, how many things can u shoot? imagine going to somewhere like barcelona, Switzerland etc etc, but ur holding a PnS which cant give u the image quality u would want for a once in a lifetime opportunity. time to SSS!
    Actually, there are a lot of things to shoot in Singapore, just gotta know how to look for it .
    Your second point is precisely why I would want to bring the best equipment I possibly can, else I think it would be a waste of airfare.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    haha..u are really cute..i feel like pinching ur face now
    actually thats a good idea, maybe should get a small PnS instead
    I acknowledge I'm cute, but my cheeks aren't really that chubby. Unless you can attest to being my grand aunt, I doubt you could do that anyway.

Get a good PnS, IMO they actually excel at landscapes because of the immense DOF. You don't even need to worry about hyperfocal distance most of the time.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Can these camera hard cases be locked at all? And remember when flying domestic within the US, you are not supposed to lock your check-in luggage. If you lock your bag, they will break the lock if and when they need to check your stuff. Of course, if you have a bag with those plastic clasps (like an Echolac) can forget about locking, breaking those would mean there will be no way to shut your bag after. I've had my bag checked twice before but nothing stolen. Then again, I didn't put any valuables in it as per the advice of the authorities.

Anyway would love to hear more feedback from people who are currently travelling or just came back or planning to go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ady
    Can these camera hard cases be locked at all? And remember when flying domestic within the US, you are not supposed to lock your check-in luggage. If you lock your bag, they will break the lock if and when they need to check your stuff. Of course, if you have a bag with those plastic clasps (like an Echolac) can forget about locking, breaking those would mean there will be no way to shut your bag after. I've had my bag checked twice before but nothing stolen. Then again, I didn't put any valuables in it as per the advice of the authorities.

Anyway would love to hear more feedback from people who are currently travelling or just came back or planning to go soon.
    so now they 'advice' we put 'valuables' in, so should we lock or not? if lock, then they break the lock, should it be covered in the insurance? if anything stolen, can claim? then insurance business going to be all time high man...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

In the US, you can lock your bags but you have to use a TSA(Tourism Security Authority) approved padlock. They have the master key to unlock it so that they can do the necessary checks. I travelled in the US used those locks, never had a problem with broken locks.

hondasleeper - That's if your bags are the soft type with the zippers. If no zippers like an Echolac hardcase then cannot lock.

hondasleeper - That's if your bags are the soft type with the zippers. If no zippers like an Echolac hardcase then cannot lock.
    Put your hardcase in the soft type with zippers?
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    eh better still... put in ziploc bags...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

You can also get the ones that wrap around the suitcase, you know kind of the type of bands some people use to prevent the luggage from accidentally opening.

When I check my gear in I always use a hardcase and when I hand carry I use a soft case.

Hope all this restrictions are only temporary measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Stoned - I was referring to suitcases (the hard type) not the camera hard case. LOL. But yes, I suppose you can put a camera hard case into a soft suitcase with zippers for check-in.

I don't think they will lift them anytime soon.

What about airline policies on replacement for lost or stolen items? And also equipment insurance - what does it or does it not cover then? Anyone knows?

Airline replacement payout from the last time I remember, correct me if I am wrong, is about $1500 to $2500(if you are lucky), it isn't much. That's why they have travel insurance you can cover all your personal effects and cameras for up to $40,000 if you want.

So wait. Its only UK and US flights or its ALL international flights?

from my understanding, only UK and US, unless it had been changed somehow.

quite abit of useful info (including links to external agencies in UK/US) are avail. at the singapore airlines website.
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...ease/News1.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk
    from my understanding, only UK and US, unless it had been changed somehow.

quite abit of useful info (including links to external agencies in UK/US) are avail. at the singapore airlines website.
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...ease/News1.jsp

Thanks for the info FilterFunk.

Would love to hear from those who've just recently travelled with camera gear with these new restrictions in place. Please share your experiences here with other photogs.

Why can't they have a pigeon hole type of service on the plane AFTER you bring your hand-carry luggages thru the final check, before boarding? They can just store your hand carry stuffs in a secured location on the plane, then after the plane lands, just go give back the tag to collect your items.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Why can't they have a pigeon hole type of service on the plane AFTER you bring your hand-carry luggages thru the final check, before boarding? They can just store your hand carry stuffs in a secured location on the plane, then after the plane lands, just go give back the tag to collect your items.

Oh, I know why... costs more to mod the planes..

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    That usually only occurs for those really small planes - like for some flights between Paris and the smaller airports in the UK. You board the plane at the tarmac, leave your hand-carry outside the plane and get given a numbered tag which corresponds to the one tied to the handle of your carry-on. At your destination, you get off the plane, pick up your hand-carry on the tarmac.

But of course with the latest restrictions, don't know whether that is still the case.

My suggestion?

From London: Take a train to paris or berlin/munich/frankfrukt if you feel insecure and take a SIA flight out.

From USA (if restrictions change in the future): Transport yourself to Vancouver (west coast) or Toronto (east coast). Take the A380 cos it have any stopover.

Its just for kiasu people hmm. But good excuse to take more photographs anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast