View Poll Results: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 41.18%
  • No

86 50.59%
  • Dunno

14 8.24%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

Default Re: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Actually, just wanted to point out, that isn't a direct comparison between the lenses. Once you use two different cameras, you have a whole range of things which will affect the image apart from the lens - obviously the actual sensor itself affects the results, but also things like the spectral response of the colour filters used in the Bayer filter, the rest of the filter pack in front of the sensor (AA filter, IR blocking filter etc) - all these also will have an effect. Even for jpegs straight out of the cam there are "post processing" differences, you have things like different demosaicing algorithm used by the camera, different linearity response curve used, different levels of sharpening etc, plus in camera processing and image correction via the image processing chip.

Also, as to the "Carl Zeiss" "German lens technology" - you'd be surprised - it's arguable that the modern day Carl Zeiss is just a marketing label put on lenses manufactured by Kyocera (for the Contax brand) and Cosina. For the Sony Carl Zeiss branded lenses, there are mentions that it is Sony themselves or a third party outside manufacturer (Sony isn't revealing exactly who) who design/manufacture them and they get the Carl Zeiss label on them because they use Carl Zeiss equipment to do quality assurance tests on the lenses. Whoever makes them, it certainly isn't Carl Zeiss themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean they are no good (they could be excellent) - it's just that the modern day lenses with Carl Zeiss labels printed on them are not the same as the Carl Zeiss lenses back in the days when Carl Zeiss actually designed and manufactured lenses themselves. Even Hasselblad don't use Carl Zeiss lenses anymore, they get their lenses manufactured by Fuji.
    SO ??

i dun care what's behind it. As long as the picture quality turns out better ! and my cilents are happy with the product ! that's it ! case closed.

even a rojak brand which can produce out better quality, i will take it.. why ? becos end results are important... and with that i can please and win clients confidence.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 13th February 2008 at 05:40 PM.

While I certainly agree that the brand does not matter, and it's the results that the user obtains that is more important.... but you say you don't care what's behind it...

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    SO ??

i dun care what's behind it.
    Not meaning to argue with you, but your post that I replied to has you singing praises of a particular brand... what's up with that ?

fyi, there is no PP done on the photos. It is direct output from the lenses. Carl Zeiss ! German lens technology... just like Leica
    and I was just pointing out that Sony Carl Zeiss is not German lens technology.

Also, as to the "Carl Zeiss" "German lens technology" - you'd be surprised - it's arguable that the modern day Carl Zeiss is just a marketing label put on lenses manufactured by Kyocera (for the Contax brand) and Cosina. For the Sony Carl Zeiss branded lenses, there are mentions that it is Sony themselves or a third party outside manufacturer (Sony isn't revealing exactly who) who design/manufacture them and they get the Carl Zeiss label on them because they use Carl Zeiss equipment to do quality assurance tests on the lenses. Whoever makes them, it certainly isn't Carl Zeiss themselves.
    I think it's still Cosina. Even the ZFs are supposedly made by Cosina. I don't think Kyocera makes lenses, did they?

Edit: Oops..I think I might either be wrong or Sony doesn't allow them to publish? They only showed ZM, ZF, ZS and ZK. I feel it doesn't really make sense to get another party to make the lenses for ZA.
    http://www.cosina.co.jp/z.html
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 13th February 2008 at 05:59 PM.

cosina is v gd brand.....no doubt abt it
    and no point harping which system is gd...just be happy and content with whatever u had
    cos end of the day Olympus will rule them all....
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I think it's still Cosina. Even the ZFs are supposedly made by Cosina. I don't think Kyocera makes lenses, did they?

Edit: Oops..I think I might either be wrong or Sony doesn't allow them to publish? They only showed ZM, ZF, ZS and ZK. I feel it doesn't really make sense to get another party to make the lenses for ZA.
    Yeah, Cosina make the ZFs. Unsure who manufacture the ZA, but note that all the lenses made by Cosina under the Zeiss label seem to be manual focus, while all the ZA are autofocus.

Yep, Kyocera made the Zeiss branded lenses for the Contax line of cameras (actually it was the optical division of Yashica which Kyocera took over when they bought out Yashica in the 80s)

SO ??

i dun care what's behind it. As long as the picture quality turns out better ! and my cilents are happy with the product ! that's it ! case closed.

even a rojak brand which can produce out better quality, i will take it.. why ? becos end results are important... and with that i can please and win clients confidence.
    Guru... u see my point now? just be contented with whatever u had now.
    cz or no cz.
    end of the day it our money and the pics that u can produced that matter.
    peace peace

fyi, there is no PP done on the photos. It is direct output from the lenses. Carl Zeiss ! German lens technology... just like Leica
    And Minolta used to design and manufacture lenses for Leica.
    Alpha

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    cosina is v gd brand.....no doubt abt it
    and no point harping which system is gd...just be happy and content with whatever u had
    cos end of the day Olympus will rule them all....
    But why does cosina seem to be priced lower than many of the other brands of the same range?

most of it better and pricer lenses are rebranded

shoot the same subject with same lens range but of diff brands, u can compare picture quality

sony carl zeiss 24-70
    http://pliki.optyczne.pl/cz24-70_fot14.jpg

canon 24-70mm
    http://pliki.optyczne.pl/can24-70_fot12.jpg
    the angles are different, are the camera mounted on tripod for both.
    anyway... the CZ sharpness from edge to edge is amazing
    dunno if the Canon is mounted on tripod or not.

currently have the full set of alpha 700.
    will do a test when i actually use it in the studio.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by zekai View Post
    the angles are different, are the camera mounted on tripod for both.
    anyway... the CZ sharpness from edge to edge is amazing
    dunno if the Canon is mounted on tripod or not.

currently have the full set of alpha 700.
    will do a test when i actually use it in the studio.

cheers!
    hi, to be fair, carl zeiss lenses are very expensive, some more costy than canon L lens.. many people do compare pic quality and conclude which is better lens but they forget to compare prices !

every camera is good, it is how good u can bring its full potential out by your skills
    Last edited by raincool2005; 18th February 2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    And Minolta used to design and manufacture lenses for Leica.
    Did they? I know Sigma does.

Unsure who manufacture the ZA, but note that all the lenses made by Cosina under the Zeiss label seem to be manual focus, while all the ZA are autofocus.
    Might it be.... Nikon?

Did they? I know Sigma does.
    Yup. The 70-210 f/4 "beercan" was designed for Leica. The Leitz 70-210 f/4 is the result.
    Alpha

Might it be.... Nikon?
    Nope. Nikon doesn't manufacture the ZA lenses.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nope. Nikon doesn't manufacture the ZA lenses.
    I think it should be obvious.. I was just trying to be funny.. If they did they would probably be manufacturing ZFs first..

I think it should be obvious.. I was just trying to be funny.. If they did they would probably be manufacturing ZFs first..
    Sorry bro... Woke up too early and haven't had coffee yet.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng View Post
    The new Sony Alpha DSLRS will be based on the existing Alpha / Maxxum / Dynax lens mount, which is good news for current Konica Minolta DSLR owners. But how much of an impact do you think Sony will have on the wider DSLR market, where Canon and Nikon retain the lion’s share? Can Sony make a bigger impression than Konica Minolta ever did, and challenge the major players, or will they be competing with the likes of Pentax and Samsung instead? Who do you think Sony’s first DSLR will be aimed at - will it be en entry-level model, prosumer or professional? Shout out now…
    Sony sell their Dslrs like chicken rice in singapore. and they are totally not interested in the professional market. from someone who is trained in marketting and design's point of view.

they are simply not agressive, or even interested at all....

sony is better off making consumer cameras, and supplying their sensors to nikon. and i feel nikon pns is better than sony pns even thou they use the same sensors.

Sony becoming a major dslr player ???

theres a saying in hokkien. TKK...... really. TKK.

Quote Originally Posted by xziredmp View Post
    Sony sell their Dslrs like chicken rice in singapore. and they are totally not interested in the professional market. from someone who is trained in marketting and design's point of view.

they are simply not agressive, or even interested at all....

sony is better off making consumer cameras, and supplying their sensors to nikon. and i feel nikon pns is better than sony pns even thou they use the same sensors.

Sony becoming a major dslr player ???

theres a saying in hokkien. TKK...... really. TKK.
    major or not major ? who cares.. as long as picture quality speaks for themselves.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 19th February 2008 at 08:40 PM.

major or not major ? who cares.. as long picture quality speaks for themselves.
    well.. .they havent impressed the reviewers or even me at least thou..... and their range of lenses are limited. everything they had is still primitive.

i guess.... the most sensible choice for most people would be to go into the C and N camps thats all....

and yes. Image quality counts.. CZ lenses are good. but thats a bad move actually for sony at least.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast