View Poll Results: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 41.18%
  • No

86 50.59%
  • Dunno

14 8.24%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

Default Re: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

seriously, Sony picture quality is good. It is taken by a sony kit lens @ $339. I realised there is no need to burn $2-3k for a lens if it is just a hobby, unless u wanna to shoot full-time as a career. Afterall, if the pictures turns out good, clear and sharp, who cares about the brand ? personal skills and picture composition more important.

Last edited by raincool2005; 11th February 2008 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    seriously, Sony picture quality is good. It is taken by a sony kit lens @ $339. I realised there is no need to burn $2-3k for a lens if it is just a hobby, unless u wanna to shoot full-time as a career. Afterall, if the pictures turns out good, clear and sharp, who cares about the brand ? personal skills and picture composition more important.
    Price and revamping of the ssm i still feel need to be improve on.
    if they seriously think of enticing the majority to switch over.
    Otherwise it will just be another boutique dslr.
    People knw it got ssm and af-enable Cz lens....but they dun care
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    Eow, it is called "targeting the consumers.. " design your product into something that sounds special and better than the normal.. u need to study the mindset of potential consumers and excel in your marketing career.

Humans believe in what they see..

Not impossible, but difficult. It will take years before they can do that.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Eow, it is called "targeting the consumers.. " design your product into something that sounds special and better than the normal.. u need to study the mindset of potential consumers and excel in your marketing career.

Humans believe in what they see..
    what talking u?
    as a ex canon user and a poor hobbyist. i just reflecting my thought only

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    actually, on the other end of the price spectrum, Pentax seems to be very affordable with similar build and functions. I've not have any hands-on experience with their newer models but the only quirk I have on K100D is the menu system that's a little deep and of course anything above ISO800 is a no-go. But all-in-all it a pretty decent system.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Deregistered

I'm currently in Nanjing in China. Here there is a big shop with several little shop inside all dedicated for photo, it's the only serious place I found in the city, one floor 6 or 7 shop sized. Nothing comparable to Singapore and Simlim Square. There is Canon in one shop, with one guy inside waiting for the customer, same for Nikon. You can find some Pentax staff here and there, a lot of Fuji everywhere and bags ...

Sony is at the entrance, just one shop dedicated to Sony with 4 or 5 people working there (including the nice girls to attract men), when other shop wait for the customers, you wait for the sales men in the Sony one.

Sony has an impact on the market, not because of their price or the quality of their product (anyway, I don't like Sony, I think their product are fragile and crappy), but for the marketing and the knowledge they have about selling products to final users.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    in other words, wait till Sony send the their Alpha into the space than we talk again.
    sony built its dslr division by buying over the minolta one. the sony cams are called alphas cos that's the name of the minolta mount.

astronaut john glenn brought a minolta camera into space with him in 1962. so no need to wait for alpha to go to space lor... the alpha grandfather long ago go already
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    sony built its dslr division by buying over the minolta one. the sony cams are called alphas cos that's the name of the minolta mount.

astronaut john glenn brought a minolta camera into space with him in 1962. so no need to wait for alpha to go to space lor... the alpha grandfather long ago go already
    Yup bro, the history of Minolta is here.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

shoot the same subject with same lens range but of diff brands, u can compare picture quality

sony carl zeiss 24-70
    http://pliki.optyczne.pl/cz24-70_fot14.jpg

canon 24-70mm
    http://pliki.optyczne.pl/can24-70_fot12.jpg
    Last edited by raincool2005; 12th February 2008 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    actually, on the other end of the price spectrum, Pentax seems to be very affordable with similar build and functions. I've not have any hands-on experience with their newer models but the only quirk I have on K100D is the menu system that's a little deep and of course anything above ISO800 is a no-go. But all-in-all it a pretty decent system.
    to be honest, i have not seen any model from that era of dslr that can give decent output for 1600 or 3200.

new era, not sure, but looks like maybe can

Deregistered

shoot the same subject with same lens range but of diff brands, u can compare picture quality

sony carl zeiss 24-70
    http://pliki.optyczne.pl/cz24-70_fot14.jpg

canon 24-70mm
    http://pliki.optyczne.pl/can24-70_fot12.jpg
    This sample just shows that the guy who made those photographs does not know how to use a camera and that the Sony PP is better than the Canon one by default. That does not mean that the camera or the lens is better.

Quote Originally Posted by stougard View Post
    This sample just shows that the guy who made those photographs does not know how to use a camera and that the Sony PP is better than the Canon one by default. That does not mean that the camera or the lens is better.
    fyi, there is no PP done on the photos. It is direct output from the lenses. Carl Zeiss ! German lens technology... just like Leica
    Last edited by raincool2005; 13th February 2008 at 03:37 PM.

fyi, there is no PP done on the photos. It is direct output from the lenses. Carl Zeiss ! German lens technology... just like Leica
    now u see what i trying to say.....it detractors like them sony need to convince..
    we knw it good....but others just dun gave a hoot

Obviously! They've got Minolta technology. The G-Rokkor lenses are fantastic! They just need to get some things sorted out after the acquisition and they'll be back with a bang. With the option to use Carl Zeiss lenses, I think Sony's advantage is growing.

There should be a FF body from them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Obviously! They've got Minolta technology. The G-Rokkor lenses are fantastic! They just need to get some things sorted out after the acquisition and they'll be back with a bang. With the option to use Carl Zeiss lenses, I think Sony's advantage is growing.

There should be a FF body from them soon.
    Beside Sony, Panasonic is also picking up, the Leica lenses are so good if u examined the picture quality, the contrast and colors are so accurate.

Beside Sony, Panasonic is also picking up, the Leica lenses are so good if u examined the picture quality, the contrast and colors are so accurate.
    Too bad they're on 4/3. With Nikon going FF with larger pixel size like the D3, I doubt 4/3 is going to stay long. People may see high ISO as an advantage rather than a silly megapixel race with noisier images. Storage also becomes a problem. A better bet is to use Leica 4/3 lenses on Olympus bodies.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 13th February 2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stougard View Post
    The samples looks like the lightings are quite different for the shots. Even though I agree that Canon images tend to look a bit flat, it cannot be that bad. Only thing evident is that the Canon lens has greater distortion and spherical aberration than the CZ.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 13th February 2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The samples looks like the lightings are quite different for the shots. Even though I agree that Canon images tend to look a bit flat, it cannot be that bad. Only thing evident is that the Canon lens has greater distortion and spherical aberration than the CZ.
    each brand has its own strength and weakness... that why some professionals had so many cameras of many brands..

Actually, just wanted to point out, that isn't a direct comparison between the lenses. Once you use two different cameras, you have a whole range of things which will affect the image apart from the lens - obviously the actual sensor itself affects the results, but also things like the spectral response of the colour filters used in the Bayer filter, the rest of the filter pack in front of the sensor (AA filter, IR blocking filter etc) - all these also will have an effect. Even for jpegs straight out of the cam there are "post processing" differences, you have things like different demosaicing algorithm used by the camera, different linearity response curve used, different levels of sharpening etc, plus in camera processing and image correction via the image processing chip.

Also, as to the "Carl Zeiss" "German lens technology" - you'd be surprised - it's arguable that the modern day Carl Zeiss is just a marketing label put on lenses manufactured by Kyocera (for the Contax brand) and Cosina. For the Sony Carl Zeiss branded lenses, there are mentions that it is Sony themselves or a third party outside manufacturer (Sony isn't revealing exactly who) who design/manufacture them and they get the Carl Zeiss label on them because they use Carl Zeiss equipment to do quality assurance tests on the lenses. Whoever makes them, it certainly isn't Carl Zeiss themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean they are no good (they could be excellent) - it's just that the modern day lenses with Carl Zeiss labels printed on them are not the same as the Carl Zeiss lenses back in the days when Carl Zeiss actually designed and manufactured lenses themselves. Even Hasselblad don't use Carl Zeiss lenses anymore, they get their lenses manufactured by Fuji.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast