View Poll Results: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 41.18%
  • No

86 50.59%
  • Dunno

14 8.24%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

Default Re: Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    is it? most of the camera shops I have been to here, havent moved more than 3 units since the A100 launch. Maybe Yodobashi Camera, but then even the guy I know over there shakes his head. They still move more 350D and D70s then the A100.
    Sony has not been known for DSLRs, hence the slow rate. Remember when Panasonic first made the Lumix, pp laugh and tell them to stick to microwaves. Now, Lumix is quite hot and known for its sharpness of its images.

It will take time but Sony has the muscle power $ more than any companies. Just a matter of time. This is only the beginning. It was a gd thing that their DSLR dun support memory sticks only. If it is just memory sticks, many pp would shun sia.

Quote Originally Posted by eow
    not now and not in the near future.....there might be a possibility but then who know what will happen in future for all we know pentax and olympus willl overtake the lead
    the battle had just began...
    Well, they have very good marketing which is good for targeting wannabes who think that by just using a dslr, it will give them better snapshots.

Pentax? I think they will be eaten up soon, it's a tough market.

Olympus? Replace the E-1. It has been too long...
    Last edited by Klose; 12th August 2006 at 07:03 AM.

I had a play with the Sony in Tokyo this week and I agree with TMC, it really feels like a toy. Materials and construction feel and look very cheap. Same goes for the lenses, the glass might be good, but the plastic shell it's wrapped in isn't. Both the 350D and D50 feel and look far better. Also, both C&N offer a far greater depth of lense and accessories then Sony does for their new cam, so they really are fighting an uphill battle.

I think that Canon and Nikon will maintain their share of DSLR market (at worst I think they will lose 1-2% between them over the next 2 years) and Sony (at least with this offering) will only canabalise it's own PnS business.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Well, they have very good marketing which is good for targeting wannabes who think that using a dslr will give them better snapshots.

Pentax? I think they will be eaten up soon, it's a tough market.

Olympus? Replace the E-1. It has been too long...
    I have been a supporter of the Olympus prosumer series. They offer excellent prosumer series like C3030, etc. However, their marketing sux. They seem to concentrate only on their consumer series. Maybe consumer series has volume and masses always win at times. E1 seems to be a mistake. If I am correct, for every photo, u have to crop to get it to printable size. Pls correct me if I am wrong. How bad can Oly be? They supply medical optical lenses. Power sia. Pity their marketing sux.

Pentax just a matter of time lah. So low profile. Maybe Sony will absorb them also. After all, they have money to throw.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    I had a play with the Sony in Tokyo this week and I agree with TMC, it really feels like a toy. Materials and construction feel and look very cheap. Same goes for the lenses, the glass might be good, but the plastic shell it's wrapped in isn't. Both the 350D and D50 feel and look far better. Also, both C&N offer a far greater depth of lense and accessories then Sony does for their new cam, so they really are fighting an uphill battle.

I think that Canon and Nikon will maintain their share of DSLR market (at worst I think they will lose 1-2% between them over the next 2 years) and Sony (at least with this offering) will only canabalise it's own PnS business.
    At the price range they offer, they may cannibalise their R1's biz. That time, I may buy the R1 as backup cam Good camera.

too many companies in this v.lucurative business of camera selling. sooner or later there are bound to have more casualities.

we have the heavy weights..
    Canon, Nikon

the alliances..
    Olympus + Panasonic - Live View
    Sony-KM

the smaller players..
    Fuji, Pentax, Samsung, Casio

personally i dont think pentax is next, prob casio imo as their portfolio is only sololy limited to tiny little credit card sized p&s. but again, they might also have their own niche group of customers and hence at the end of the day, i still might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk
    too many companies in this v.lucurative business of camera selling. sooner or later there are bound to have more casualities.

we have the heavy weights..
    Canon, Nikon

the alliances..
    Olympus + Panasonic - Live View
    Sony-KM

the smaller players..
    Fuji, Pentax, Samsung, Casio

personally i dont think pentax is next, prob casio imo as their portfolio is only sololy limited to tiny little credit card sized p&s. but again, they might also have their own niche group of customers and hence at the end of the day, i still might be wrong.
    I always remember Casio for their watches or calculators. Samsung gave me an impression of computer LCD screens and electrical eqpt still. However, who knows, recently I was thinking of buying Panasonic Lumix P &S. Microwave company still? Blah. Impression change over time.

Fuji and Oly is doing well with their consumer low light cameras from what I heard.
    Last edited by CreaXion; 12th August 2006 at 07:15 AM.

Panasonic microwave company? i remember it as National rather than Panasonic although both are the same parent company. i do use a Panasonic FX9 P&S too.
    its small and handy for casual shots during the day but it doesnt have all the high iso functions like what Fuji's F30 is offering.

if i had to rechoose my option for a p&s, i might just get the fuji's F30 for its high iso function

Casio's Exilim series is quite value-for-money.

SD-card storage, half-click and full-click shutter release. Most have at least 4x zoom, some a little less and some a little more. Not forgetting the HUGE LCD screen on the newer ones.

The seller has to be the loooooooong battery life. I've shot about 700 shots in one charge at 4 megapixels normal quality on my EX-Z500.

What about Toyota? When are they going into digicam production?

What would they name their first camera? Corolla LE? Camry Hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    But how much of an impact do you think Sony will have on the wider DSLR market, where Canon and Nikon retain the lion’s share?
    Sony have never the intention to challenge Canon and Nikon in camera market share.

They are more worries on another competitor, who is going introduce the "Main course" next year.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 12th August 2006 at 01:07 PM.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

As much as many here feel that Canon and Nikon will maintain their dominant position, I feel the A-100 will certainly get Canon and Nikon to sit up and take notice. I believe consumer acceptance of the product will improve over time and even though the camera is a departure from the point and shoot category that Sony is strong in, brand recognition is there. All Sony needs to do is hit the prosumer sweet spot with good pricing and a good product. Personally I'd try the A-100 if I was shopping new but am stuck with Nikon. Obviously looking at the D80 but if Nikon hadn't come out with it, I think the A-100 would be the D70s killer. Nikon quality and reliability of late has been so-so and it can't mount a challenge in terms of marketshare with Canon. And with prices of DSLRs dropping, there will be more people switching from P&S, so Sony can make it. Pentax, nice product but not enough marketing dollars and capacity to roll out models quicker. Olympus, nice product but company doesn't really know where it wants to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Try Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong & US... it will shake their grounds...
    Japan, definitely.

Sony's one of the more recognisable brands for quality and the name 'Minolta' is still synonymous with photography where photographers wun go, "Har? Minolta is what har?"

Eh bro, how the... motor drive coming along? Song bo?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    The new Sony Alpha DSLRS will be based on the existing Alpha / Maxxum / Dynax lens mount, which is good news for current Konica Minolta DSLR owners. But how much of an impact do you think Sony will have on the wider DSLR market, where Canon and Nikon retain the lion’s share? Can Sony make a bigger impression than Konica Minolta ever did, and challenge the major players, or will they be competing with the likes of Pentax and Samsung instead? Who do you think Sony’s first DSLR will be aimed at - will it be en entry-level model, prosumer or professional? Shout out now…
    Certainly an interesting question, but I think Sony may have left it a little too late to buy out KM and come into the DSLR market. Back when the 300D and D70 first came out was when the other players should have had a product out - when the growth in the DSLR market was in the triple digit percentages. Nowadays, as is typical with other high tech markets, growth has slowed, and think this year growth is around 30%. With a much lower growth rate in the market and with Canon and Nikon holding around 90% market share between them, it'd be tough to gain significant market share.

Although Sony has good marketing, they'd have to execute really well and either Canon or Nikon would have to stumble for Sony to be able to make a serious dent in the market share.

My prediction is that it will probably be like it was near the end of the film SLR era - Canon, Nikon, Minolta (Sony) being the three major players (in that order) and the others picking up the scraps.

no way Sony can challenge..

they only can attract ti-ko Uncle with by hiring sexier bimbo models for their 'marketing' capmaigns. Sony optics and imaging history wise is no where close to Nikon or Canon which has been manufacturing since the World War

I don't know really. It's quite hard to quantify consumer demand because IMO, the system that each of us picks has a lot to do with personal preference in terms of output and feel. All the systems are equally capable of producing the same quality of images given the right photographer and the right level of familiarity with the system.

Personally, I've been a Canon user ever since I started on digital and while I may consider jumping to Nikon/Fuji, I doubt I would ever jump elsewhere. Not at the moment anyway. I won't feel comfortable using a Sony camera in my hands when I'm on assignment. It just feels... wrong. Like I said, it's something that cannot be quantified. Perhaps it's due to the fact that unlike Canon and Nikon, Sony doesn't have all that great a camera legacy. You could argue that it took over KM's legacy, but when I look at the a100, somehow, it doesn't inspire enough confidence in me to use it for serious work. It could be the branding effect of Canon and Nikon, but I can't say for sure.

Given the choice to pick a new system now, I'd much rather go with the new Nikon D80, though the technical specs seem similar to the A100(perhaps the a100 is "better" due to the AS function), I feel like the D80 is much more of a serious photographic tool rather than something for me to fool around with. (I base this on a D70, having not actually held and shot with a D80) Ultimately, without this confidence in equipment, it would be extremely difficult to produce quality images. When you go out into the field, you would want to focus more on your photography rather than worry if something is going to botch up, because that would REALLY screw you up. That's where previous experience with older models from the same brand help I guess.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey

think need to also be a bit more forgiving when it comes to build and construction.

for starters, sony is taking a huge gamble in selling their first DSLR admidst stiff competition among other big boys. i dun think their marketing strategy is to displace the current market-leaders but to gain some market-share. they might be using the entry-level A100 to "test-water" and see what kinda response are they getting.

also, the A100 is by no means a premium model that is originally intended (tho i find it expensive at its debut price). that's why the build/construction may be lacking compared to other makes/models.

also i tink they need to be more conservative (on the safe side) not to incorporate such a highly-spec'ed debut model. what if market is not in favor of them? they'll even lose more that what they invested in. however, if the A100 sales proves encouraging and justifies, they might be more bold to take the next step in rolling out a higher-spec'ed model.

whatever the case, only time will tell.

Anyone read the Sony advert in the Straits Times today??

Very impressive 1 page advert. But right to the bottom, the stark error STARED right at me.

1.2 Megapixel sensor

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Sony a challenge
    ?!??!!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    Anyone read the Sony advert in the Straits Times today??

Very impressive 1 page advert. But right to the bottom, the stark error STARED right at me.

1.2 Megapixel sensor

wanted to post this to or maybe issit some new technology ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast