Get 2 40GB Portable Storage Devices.
    Get 10-22, 16-35L, 24-105L, 70-200L IS
    Get a Mac G5
    Get a Spyder Pro
    Get Photoshop CS2

I think you are set.

Default Re: Hello ppl... am new here n am gonna get my First DSLR next week

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Well, not to spoil his mood or what. But if he's going into BUSINESS, which is expecting an ROI on his investments and there's sponsorship, my suggestion:
    - 1DsMkII (I'm NOT JOKING on this)
    - 2x 580EX Speedlite (1 fill, 1 bounce) & flash brackets
    - 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 IS f/2.8L
    - At least 8 to 10GB worth of CFs with a 40GB data storage tank in reserve

For studio works:
    - Hasselblad H2D-39
    - HC 2.8/50mm
    - HC 3.2/150mm
    - A couple of Bowens 1000w studio flash

Yes, if threadstarter is doing this for real, do it all the way.

smaller business small do.... for a noob to invest 30k in a freelance photography business for indian wedding is really 'too' serious... and i dont think these equipments will get the job done better or easier..

Well, he said he's going into business of Indian wedding photography. That's already going Professional which the word 'professional' is being defined as 'making a living out of your craft' (in short, starting ur own business).

So, if one's going Professional, well, Return on Investments shld be seen as a factor as well.

That's me. That's why friends always hear me abt turning Professional only if I'm the sole winner for Toto at Chinese New Year (that's $10million buckaroos we're looking at).
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Get 2 30D Bodies.
    Get 2 Metz54 flashes.
    Get lotsa 4GB CF cards
    Get 2 40GB Portable Storage Devices.
    Get 10-22, 16-35L, 24-105L, 70-200L IS
    Get a Mac G5
    Get a Spyder Pro
    Get Photoshop CS2

I think you are set.
    Metz54.... how abt the CT4?

Quote Originally Posted by Divineman
    Guess i didnt write clearly the first time around.... basically i have been taking pics using slr cameras for few years now..then from last year onwards i got a dcompact where i started to learn alot by taking many photos , making many mistakes.. and understanding more on the basics and beyond... but i soon ran out things to do using my dcompact as its not fully manual.. it was a short n fast learnin curve.. so i am plannin to get a dslr n after some months start doing the wedding business..i will not be jumpin in as a pro cos I am not a pro just yet .. rgt now i have the time.. to learn.. and i have the high interest in it but maybe i don’t know the technical jargon but more or less i am able to take some good photographs...and i think most importantly i have the eye for it..having keen interest in cinema photography for abt 15 years n having made two short films.. i can say tat i have many things to learn and have learnt many stuffs too...
    Wedding is a cut throat competition business around, I've got couples complaining that my prices are too steep (even at $800!). God knows what their 'steep' really means.

Why not ask around, join in a couple of wedding shoots as a non-paid backup photographer (I'm not sure abt Indian weddings since my last client I did was for a Bangle Ceremony), observe and learn more so that u can extend ur services not only to Indians but over a variety of races as well?

For the cameras the full frame requires really good lens so.. I have to invest even more on the lens if I can get 5D for really a good price .. it will be ok.. if not I am just torn btw D200 n 30D… the thing is d200 has the weather seal.. can it be done for 30D? And how true are the high iso noise problem with D200??
    The more I read about the pros n cons of this two cam the more confused I get… Users of this cameras pls shed some light.. and also the right lens which could be an all rounder for capturing weddings and such…

Thank you.
    Chris
    I personally feel where 'weather seal' is concerned, it would be of interest to journalists and extreme photographers who faces the elements of nature, bombs and bullets in their pursuit for photography.

Some will probably tell u to get a good body. Some will tell u to invest on lenses. My personal idea would be that of investing on the lenses that u can afford and for the body, look at what it can offer u - colour, control, handling, high ISO quality.

As for the 'right lens', there isn't a single 'right lens', it very much depends on what your style is. I do know of colleagues who do weddings and events with a single prime lens at 20mm. There are ppl here who swear by zooms. There are ppl here who swear by long zooms.

The area of video vs photography is pretty much similar where their technical terms of shutter, aperture, white balance closely relates. But where video and photos are concerned, one handles continuous motion and the latter handles stills. IMHO, capturing stills takes a slightly higher skill level over the capture of motion since its a do-or-die thing.

Happy shooting

Well, he said he's going into business of Indian wedding photography. That's already going Professional which the word 'professional' is being defined as 'making a living out of your craft' (in short, starting ur own business).

So, if one's going Professional, well, Return on Investments shld be seen as a factor as well.

That's me. That's why friends always hear me abt turning Professional only if I'm the sole winner for Toto at Chinese New Year (that's $10million buckaroos we're looking at).
    Oh. turn pro need so much money

bcos I know full time professional wedding photographer using D100 and doing well, no need expensive equipment. =)

I think it is the skills rather than expensive equipment to impress customers.

i dun thnk buying expensive equipment can get more customers leh....
    Last edited by Paul_Yeo; 12th August 2006 at 05:04 PM.

End conclusion....

Sometimes, people really don't know what they are about to get themselves into until they go into it themselves.

Divineman, if you really want to buy equipment, I say be prepared to fork out about 10 to 13k. After that you have to figure out your ROI. After ROI, only then you can properly run your business.

whatever the purchase decision is, dun make it a point to use only the greenbox mode thru out the shots.

"Ultimately, the technology is just a tool. It's a tool that lets your eye become the picture. It's easy to get caught up with all of the gadgets and all of the technology, but the most important thing is just to get comfortable with the tools you have."
    --David Burnett

i know of one professional who owns a 1Ds Mk Ii, and yet there was once where he used a simple Powershot G2 for a product shoot, and charged the client ~$1k for the shoot.
    eat. drink. shoot

SO has the TS gotten any ideas yet??

You are doing freelance right? Have you got any system knowledge yet?? You would need more than just the camera to start off. You gotta think about the flash system, do you need external batteries to keep up with the pace? And also the lenses to go with the system, each of the purchase will need all these to be taken into consideration.

So calculate all these first. Then think on which may be better for you personally. I myself prefer Nikon and thus gotten myself a D200 and I'm enjoying it so far. You should also try out the different cameras and see if the handling suits your taste or not.

Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    Oh. turn pro need so much money

bcos I know full time professional wedding photographer using D100 and doing well, no need expensive equipment. =)

I think it is the skills rather than expensive equipment to impress customers.

i dun thnk buying expensive equipment can get more customers leh....

indeed.. most of the 'pro' i knew with bridal studio shoot with... d70? 20d? kit lense?... we know different gears can produce different results but still it's not about how impressive equipments can be... but how the end product delivered and impress the clients....

Thanks alot guys for ur advice! It was very helpful.I have narrowed it down to 30D or Nikon D200.. (i will just go down to the shop test out the camera n just get either one!) 5D is too expensive... So now i need ur help again on the type of lens ... i mean i am thinking of those zoom lens ard this range 24-85mm ... wat abt the f-numbers... any suggestions ppl...am lookin for lens which would be extensively needed during wedding photography.. budget can be ard $1500 to $1700 for two lens... maybe a wide-angle n a zoom lens..

And also where would be the best place to get the lens n the cameras?(Best price)

Thanks
    Last edited by Divineman; 14th August 2006 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks alot guys for ur advice! It was very helpful.I have narrowed it down to 30D or Nikon D200.. (i will just go down to the shop test out the camera n just get either one!) 5D is too expensive... So now i need ur help again on the type of lens ... i mean i am thinking of those zoom lens ard this range 24-85mm ... wat abt the f-numbers... any suggestions ppl...am lookin for lens which would be extensively needed during wedding photography.. budget can be ard $1500 to $1700 for two lens... maybe a wide-angle n a zoom lens..

And also where would be the best place to get the lens n the cameras?(Best price)

Thanks
    My suggestion before u go into anything.

Go take up a course on how to use a camera and take proper photos. Spend a few years brushing up before doing anything.

Ur take on "the f-numbers", "any suggestions", "looking for lens extensively needed during wedding photography", "looking for best price" suggests that u've got a wad of cash and zero knowledge.

Go take up a course on how to use a camera and take proper photos. Spend a few years brushing up before doing anything.

Ur take on "the f-numbers", "any suggestions", "looking for lens extensively needed during wedding photography", "looking for best price" suggests that u've got a wad of cash and zero knowledge.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Please la,

If he's gotten a wad of cash, he wouldn't have said that a FF 5D is expensive, nor would he have stated his budget of $1,500 for 2 lenses.

But perhaps you're right that he needs to attend a course to learn about photography, as I'd think that the questions he asked are not quite what a potential pro would not have an answer for.

Kenny

Thank you very much for your advice.

just if you need advice on equipments 'for brushing up your skills for the next few years'.. cant go wrong with... 30D, 17-40 (or 17-85), 580ex, and possibly a 50mm 1.8 (for the feel of high speed shooting).... ard 4k for all...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12