Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographer's Assistant - What Does He/She Do?

Default Re: Photographer's Assistant - What Does He/She Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    yes. the assistant can be given that kind of job scope and the photographer will come and press the shutter release later.
    this is when you're experienced enough.
    when the photographer presses the shutter release, it means he has inspected everything and find it ok, then he'll bear responsibility for the outcome. that's why there's a difference between a photographer and the assistant. when something goes wrong with the shot, the client will shoot the photographer, not the assistant.
    Well said.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

COFFEE and ERRAND BOY for the photographer, other senior assistants, staff, clients and clients' client, etc...

Therefore, I will hire any assistant who has ever worked at Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaves, Ya Kun, McDonald's and NTUC FairPrice.
    Last edited by photobum; 10th August 2006 at 08:25 AM.

Photographer and assistant must have good communication skills like a golfer and his caddy.

Caddy does not only carry bags for golfers nowadays.

last time i cut grass and pull grass for my shifu. i carried all things and my shifu carry camera only. sling all light stands, carry one hand with metal case, one hand carry big tripod. very siong, but no choice, gotta learn.

i got 4 shifu, but they seldom teach, more is observe, see, think and try my own, cannot then ask, they happy will tell, not happy will tell u other days.

i buy coffee, breakfast for them. i iron cloths, i sweep floor, i clean the studio. i make sure shifu bring all nessarry items for shoot.

they ask me do i do, then they happy will teach.

THATS SIMPLE RIGHT?
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    last time i cut grass and pull grass for my shifu. i carried all things and my shifu carry camera only. sling all light stands, carry one hand with metal case, one hand carry big tripod. very siong, but no choice, gotta learn.

i got 4 shifu, but they seldom teach, more is observe, see, think and try my own, cannot then ask, they happy will tell, not happy will tell u other days.

i buy coffee, breakfast for them. i iron cloths, i sweep floor, i clean the studio. i make sure shifu bring all nessarry items for shoot.

THATS SIMPLE RIGHT?
    Sounds like one of those Kung Fu serial shows......4 shifus imparting their skills.

Trainees suffers in the beginning but at the end of the day you will be better than when you learn 4 individual skills from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Sounds like one of those Kung Fu serial shows......4 shifus imparting their skills.

Trainees suffers in the beginning but at the end of the day you will be better than when you learn 4 individual skills from them.
    when i learn more and more during the days, i found out that one of my shifu very lazy.............. the way he set up to shoot very the..................lazy.....
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

I think he will become like Yang Guo or Guo Jing... learn all the different sect skills then combine... hahaha...

4 Masters... wonder is it, Dong Xie, Xi Du, Nan Di, Bei Gai...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    I think he will become like Yang Guo or Guo Jing... learn all the different sect skills then combine... hahaha...

me smurfman, so small and blue, cannot kill ppl with all my internal strength.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

when i learn more and more during the days, i found out that one of my shifu very lazy.............. the way he set up to shoot very the..................lazy.....
    That is an acquired skill......learn to be lazy is a form of long lost skills from which many great photographers did not get to learn...............

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt

Yes he will be the called none other than the "Master ROJAK Photographer"....

On a serious note, assistants are still human after all. One day we always hope they will learn to acquire our skills and to be able to stand by themselves instead of keep on assisting the pros. Assistants are photographers right hand man and they are great help to us. It's not about making kopi, carrying heavy equipments, setting up shoots but also bonding a good friendship.

Commercial Photographers in normal circumstances can survive by themselves but with an assistant around, it would ease some burden. Sometimes, they come out with good ideas and solve problems that photographers sometimes face.

It really depends on who you work for. Some photographers treat their assistant like dirt but some are like best buddies. The most important factor is to have good communication skills. Not only from assistant POV but also from the photographers themselves.

Oh yes, 2 things most photographers cannot tahan(stand) assistant is late for work and have attitude problems.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 10th August 2006 at 10:22 AM.

That is an acquired skill......learn to be lazy is a form of long lost skills from which many great photographers did not get to learn...............

Acquired skills?

Alamak! Then I damn lucky leh! Or not? Maybe I born with this special skills!

I forever lazy, maybe that is why I cannot tan chiak with photography leh!

Oh yes, 2 things most photographers cannot tahan(stand) assistant is late for work and have attitude problems.

On a more serious note. I was told that one big time photographer actually "sacked" his assistant, not because his assistant was lazy or something like that, but that the assistant was too much on the ball, that the photographer was stressed-out by the assistant!

THATS SIMPLE RIGHT?
    There is one move called "Steal Learn" Kung Fu.

One time had this Shifu who never taught one. I looked at where he put lights. And when he was gone I always opened up the files to look at the results.

When he did Photoshop he never let me stand behind him one. So when he went away I opened up the layers files to look at the progression of the work.

In front of Shifu of course always look dumb dumb one.

Hey... great input everyone. Somehow the image of Hung Kam Po or Jackie Chan standing on bamboo stilts and balancing clay jars of water seem to come to mind now. Haha...

Anyway... how much is a photographer's assistant paid these days? What is the going rate like?

Quote Originally Posted by ady
    Hey... great input everyone. Somehow the image of Hung Kam Po or Jackie Chan standing on bamboo stilts and balancing clay jars of water seem to come to mind now. Haha...
    That's true.

I've heard one assistant with much practice in fact is able to stand one leg on a Manfrotto tripod at the same time carrying Lowepro on one arm and a Sinar on the other with Shifu's teapot on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by ady

Anyway... how much is a photographer's assistant paid these days? What is the going rate like?
    careful.. this is a can of worms.
    it totally depends on the photographer u're assisting.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    careful.. this is a can of worms.
    it totally depends on the photographer u're assisting.
    Yap... I pay between $1,000 to $1,800 for full-timers, and between $50 to $200 an hour for part-timers, depending on thier experience and coffee brewing skills.

Plus, they die, die must know Photoshop. I don't hire computer dummies (yes, even for part-timers, because they double as freelance DI artists also).
    Last edited by photobum; 10th August 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Yap... I pay between $1,000 to $1,800 for full-timers, and between $50 to $200 an hour for part-timers, depending on thier experience and coffee brewing skills.

Plus, they die, die must know Photoshop. I don't hire computer dummies (yes, even for part-timers, because they double as freelance DI artists also).
    wah your hourly rate quite good leh.. can hire me when i have my lull period anot?
    plus my photochop can make it. hehx
    Last edited by Clown; 10th August 2006 at 04:24 PM.
    sigh.

i am paid $650 per mth last time, and sometimes $6/- per hr.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast