Thread: Reuters withdraws all photos by Lebanese freelance

Default Reuters withdraws all photos by Lebanese freelance

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna

I was wondering whether have any of you read this article yet?

In my opinion, this is the worst self incriminating thing that any photographer can do to himself in the process of self-incrimination.

Default Re: Reuters withdraws all photos by Lebanese freelance

Quote Originally Posted by agape01
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna

I was wondering whether have any of you read this article yet?

In my opinion, this is the worst self incriminating thing that any photographer can do to himself in the process of self-incrimination.
    I actually think thats a bit tight, yeah he may have made 2 images look a bit worse then it really was but in the general scheme of things 3 flares instead of one and darker smoke is going to do basically nothing, what effect does this really have? Its just a tiny exaggeration which im guessing will probably make a better image for all the news stories. Its not like a government is going to make key decisions about the war based on 3 flares and darker smoke. Also, to the general public, slightly darker smoke is still smoke, its the same thing, seriously, whats the big deal?

I guess it's probably nothing to some but doctoring a picture that reflects a true situation is against the intentions of Reuters to accurately report news.

I guess it's a breach of integrity of a news reporter. Falsifying truth is not acceptable as a journalist photographer.

Your boss says no, you don't do it. Your boss specifically told you not, and you still do it...

Photographs are powerful imaging propaganda tools. People use photographs to make analysis and for investigative purposes. Photographs make an impact in everyone.

Not only edited shots...staged shots too

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/200...ilking-it.html

Whatever else, the event in Qana was a human tragedy. But the photographs do not show it honestly. Rather, they have been staged for effect, exploiting the victims in an unwholesome manner. In so doing, they are no longer news photographs - they are propaganda. And, whoever said the camera cannot lie forgot that photographers can and do. Those lies have spread throughout the world by now and will be in this morning's newspapers, accepted as real by the millions who view them.
    Last edited by Wai; 8th August 2006 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    I guess it's probably nothing to some but doctoring a picture that reflects a true situation is against the intentions of Reuters to accurately report news.

I guess it's a breach of integrity of a news reporter. Falsifying truth is not acceptable as a journalist photographer.

Your boss says no, you don't do it. Your boss specifically told you not, and you still do it...

Photographs are powerful imaging propaganda tools. People use photographs to make analysis and for investigative purposes. Photographs make an impact in everyone.
    News is considered historical so even colors can be deemed falsification like the previous story about the photo enhanced to make the gray sky red and the sun bigger. It may not mean much at first glance but in the future it could be a reference for the time of day, weather, etc etc, and therefore mislead future researchers.

What's real nowadays anyway? Fake is the new real. Oh wait, people have been doctoring photos way even way before photoshop was introduced. I guess its nothing new.

maybe PS so dat can sell his pics better

Lesson learnt: Must improve PS skills before you can smoke people
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII