Thread: Wide Angle Focusing

Unhappy Wide Angle Focusing

Hello all!

Apart from the Point and Shoot camera shots, I am very new to photography(esp with the use of lens and filters).

I just got myself a Canon S3IS last week and had bought a 3rd party wide angle lens with the lens adaptor but found some difficulty getting good shots. Can some kind souls out there help me with 2 questions:-

1. Is it normal when I zoom out to see some dark edges, does that mean that I have to zoom in a little everytime to avoid this?

2. How to focus ? I can get clear centre but out of focus sides where there is a curve.

Default Re: Wide Angle Focusing

1. it is vignetting...which is common for most wide angle converter on...jus zoom in abit...
    2. mayb can try to stop down abit...
    Last edited by dreamerz; 8th August 2006 at 11:50 AM.
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Thanks Dreamerz!

I read about vignetting but wasn't sure if what I encountered was it.

Err.. I have not figured out this stop down thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    1. it is vignetting...which is common for most wide angle converter on...jus zoom in abit...
    2. mayb can try to stop down abit...

shoot in av/m mode...change the AV to a higher value...should get a sharper image...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Ooo.. Thank you so much. Will try that out later when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    shoot in av/m mode...change the AV to a higher value...should get a sharper image...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroxgear
    Hello all!

Apart from the Point and Shoot camera shots, I am very new to photography(esp with the use of lens and filters).

I just got myself a Canon S3IS last week and had bought a 3rd party wide angle lens with the lens adaptor but found some difficulty getting good shots. Can some kind souls out there help me with 2 questions:-

1. Is it normal when I zoom out to see some dark edges, does that mean that I have to zoom in a little everytime to avoid this?

2. How to focus ? I can get clear centre but out of focus sides where there is a curve.
    actually if the wide angle cause vignetting without zooming, i would say its not very compatible with the camera. by zooming in you are not making full use of the wideness wide angle adapter give liao.

as for 2nd question, what curve do you mean? distortion?

After asking another shop, I was told that it may be that my lens adaptor is not compatible (it's a 3rd party one) that is why the "vignetting". I may try using the original Canon lens adaptor but will have to wait till I have the cash again

For the second part, I guess you could say its the distortion caused by the curverture of the wide angle lens.

Thanks for the input Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    actually if the wide angle cause vignetting without zooming, i would say its not very compatible with the camera. by zooming in you are not making full use of the wideness wide angle adapter give liao.

as for 2nd question, what curve do you mean? distortion?

Just be careful when you stop down, you might get a slow shutter speed (depending on the surrounding light), and when that happens, you should use a tripod.

Thanks for the heads up. Later will play around with it alittle. Hopfully tomorrow can snap a few good pics at the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by hsks
    Just be careful when you stop down, you might get a slow shutter speed (depending on the surrounding light), and when that happens, you should use a tripod.

After asking another shop, I was told that it may be that my lens adaptor is not compatible (it's a 3rd party one) that is why the "vignetting". I may try using the original Canon lens adaptor but will have to wait till I have the cash again

For the second part, I guess you could say its the distortion caused by the curverture of the wide angle lens.

Thanks for the input Explorer.
    if the curve is cause by distortion, i don think by stopping down the aperture would help... all you can do is to PS the distortion using lens correction in photoshop.

Thanks. Looks like I have to get the software.

Anyway, I played around with all the advice and it helped a little but the main thing I found was that there was an extra ring on my adaptor which I took off and found that the it cleared the sides up

Again, thanks all!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    if the curve is cause by distortion, i don think by stopping down the aperture would help... all you can do is to PS the distortion using lens correction in photoshop.

hi

Could you elaborate which 3rd party WA converter you are using and which model???

Cheers,

Swing

Anyway, I played around with all the advice and it helped a little but the main thing I found was that there was an extra ring on my adaptor which I took off and found that the it cleared the sides up
    extra ring on the adaptor or converter?? i am a bit lost here...

I am using Emolux 0.45 WA converter and Emolux adaptor. I am using 58mm for both. As for the "extra" ring, it was on the adaptor. I belive there is use for it but I haven't figured it out :P Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by swing123
    hi

Could you elaborate which 3rd party WA converter you are using and which model???

Cheers,

Swing