Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Red Dot Sight Illegal here?

Default Re: Is Red Dot Sight Illegal here?

I wonder if there is a version whereby there are multiple red dots to demarcate the boundaries of the frame and synchronised according to focal lentgh. Dun have to look through the viewfinder anymore, just point and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Stupid question, but won't all your pictures have an ugly red dot in the centre?
    There will not be a red dot, it is not a laser sight. Basically it projects the spot onto the rear glass element, so whereever you place the dot that is where the round should land but it does not shoot a laser at the subject. It sight must be zeroed out as when zeroing a real weapon. Not too sure how to explain it but chek out the this site

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atdigulsigwi.html

Not too sure if it is legal, I would find out though because it is a weapon accessory. I am sure it is a controlled item and I would not risk trying to bring one in, you could get into alot of trouble.

What's the application for photography?

silly. e red dot is in e finder. it isn't a laser pointing device.
    as far as we know. the local astronomers are already using such devices.

Quote Originally Posted by fireframe
    What's the application for photography?
    If you're using very long lenses it allows you to get to your subject quickly. It's widely used in astro telescopes.

Since I have a 400mm Prime (Sigma 400mm tele macro), this gadget is really useful for BIF.

Designed as a weapon accessory but when mounted on a DSLR wouldn't it becomes a DSLR accessory? Did ask a police regular fren and he said it's subjective. If mounted on a Cam it won't look that offensive so ICA or Police won't take notice.

The RDS is a standalone device, nothing to sync with the cam nor receive power from the cam hotshoe. The hotshoe mount bracket is design by another 3rd party. So need to purchase both separately.

Roughly the RDS cost USD$40. Affordable I must say. Maybe tommorrow go down to the shop selling telescope at Science centre to see if it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Stupid question, but won't all your pictures have an ugly red dot in the centre?
    it will not "fire" red dot from an object so there's no red dot in the picture. instead the beam (some models can be switched to green dot) fires the dot internally meaning the beam fires internally and stops at the front glass, using the principle of refraction, so you can shoot a target without them noticing you because of the absence of annoying red "spot" crawling on their shirt.
    Last edited by manila gorila; 13th August 2006 at 04:10 PM.

unlike the red pointer, the red dot works like a scope (that you have to peek through the reticles) but no magnification. calibration needed to zero in.

some hobbyshops in hongkong sells these aimpoint designed for airsoft gaming but works very much like the military counterpart, and is cheaper.

what an ingenious aiming aid.

wait a minute. i hope the guy who came up with the idea is not sugesting to put back the LCD viewer like those in PS/prosumer cams.

edit: sorry. mods can you just add this on the top and delete this. =)
    Last edited by manila gorila; 13th August 2006 at 04:20 PM.

hey greenieadi do keep us posted on the device if u indeed got one....tempted to get it also
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Bros, found 2 types of RDS at the shop at Omni-theatre. One is $95 and another $145 (I think?). They carry only 2-3pcs at any time. But before u grab one, you'll need a bracket.

There's a website that sells the bracket here : http://www.photosolve.com.

Here's an email from them regarding Local issued Credit cards & Delivery service.
    Thank you for your inquiry.

I would recommend that you choose Global Priority Mail. It's the
    least expensive of overseas shipping and would run about $10. Time to
    delivery is typically about 8 days, depending on customs.

Most of the credit cards from outside of the US have processed
    correctly. There have been a couple that, for some reason or other,
    have not gone through. I don't know until I actually attempt to
    process them. I hand process the information through my terminal.

I hope this is of some help to you.
    Best,
    Phil

On Aug 27, 2006, at 1:51 PM,
    Anyone willing to do MO for the bracket? I don't have the means or time for it but would gladly join any MO, if any.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 28th August 2006 at 07:39 PM.

I don't see why this should be illegal. There is no laser involved.

Next time you go to a model shoot, and the model has red dots all over.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam

Haiz.. Did you actually READ anything at all?? There won't BE ANY red dots on the model... DUH
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    Haiz.. Did you actually READ anything at all?? There won't BE ANY red dots on the model... DUH
    yeah, it does not beam on to the subject. It just beam at the subject.
    It's not a laser pointer. It emits light using LED and falls on the front element of the sight as if it is on the subject. Neat gadget really.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    The only reason ppl use it is for subject that is very far and small like flying birds or at airshows or displays. Why would anyone use it for model shoot, how far would u be from the model? 100 metres. Sorry, wrong equiptment for the wrong job.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I don't see why this should be illegal. There is no laser involved.
    Reason for this thread is becoz intend to get RDS from BSA brand. BSA makes such stuff as a weapon accessory other than for astronomy and photography. Some US sites also states things like military law stuffs. So don't want to getting in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by manila gorila
    unlike the red pointer, the red dot works like a scope (that you have to peek through the reticles) but no magnification. calibration needed to zero in.

some hobbyshops in hongkong sells these aimpoint designed for airsoft gaming but works very much like the military counterpart, and is cheaper.

what an ingenious aiming aid.

wait a minute. i hope the guy who came up with the idea is not sugesting to put back the LCD viewer like those in PS/prosumer cams.
    No man, it's just difficult to use long primes to get good shots of bird in flight (BIF). With a red dot to illuminate on the bird, which is no bigger than a match head sometimes on the viewfinder my AF will know I'm pointing at the bird and not the background, ie cliff, trees. Just as an assist to the AF.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 28th August 2006 at 11:06 PM.

OT abit, but does any1 kno of anywhere got any device 2 attach a tubular flaslight in d tripod mount of a cam 2 assist AF under low light?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    OT abit, but does any1 kno of anywhere got any device 2 attach a tubular flaslight in d tripod mount of a cam 2 assist AF under low light?
    Maybe u could just fabricate one from bits and pieces around the house..?
    Super-glue, or modelling cement, with plywood from the garbage tip, empty hand-towel rolls, and some cable-ties and let your imagination let fly...

Btw, the "RDS"/reflex-sight is used commonly on astronomy scopes to line-up celestial bodies before using main scope to star-gaze..

Just my say..
    Canon 30D 100-400mm L IS|Tamron 17-35mm/f2.8-4,28-75mm/f2.8|Cosina Voigtlander Bessa-R 35mm/f2.5C

Quote Originally Posted by Ally
    Maybe u could just fabricate one from bits and pieces around the house..?
    Super-glue, or modelling cement, with plywood from the garbage tip, empty hand-towel rolls, and some cable-ties and let your imagination let fly...

Btw, the "RDS"/reflex-sight is used commonly on astronomy scopes to line-up celestial bodies before using main scope to star-gaze..

Just my say..
    d hard part is coming up w/ a gadget tt
    . is not 2 costly
    . easily attachable / detachable w/o any tools
    . i dun hav 2 permernantly glue my flashlight 2 it
    . can keep in cam bag w/o removing it

my expectation's abit high. i m currently m using a comebersome combo of table-pod + bicycle flashlight clamp (lousy plastic) + flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker
    silly. e red dot is in e finder. it isn't a laser pointing device.
    as far as we know. the local astronomers are already using such devices.
    Astronomers use green lasers...

a sample shot i took with green laser mounted
    eat. drink. shoot

Send the Arms & Explosives Division a letter of enquiry, clearly stating your intended use (include all the pictures etc) and they will gladly answer your queries.

SOH_Ah_Kiat@spf.gov.sg

SOH AH KIAT
    ARMS & EXPLOSIVES
    POLICE LICENSING DIVISION
    DID: 65575875, FAX: 62234704

p.s. please send Mt Soh only ONE letter of enquiry in total to avoid confusion. It won't help move things along faster if four or five or more members send him e-mails of similar enquiries.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    If this is the same red dot sight as those used in BB guns or telescopes, then the red dot is actually a reflection on the almost transparent screen. The source of the red dot is usually a small LED on the device. Since the red dot is a reflection on the screen and you actually view through the screen, the red dot is super imposed on the field of view very much like how HUD on planes work.

This is not like laser aiming on guns. No light or laser is actually projected onto the subject.

Because the red dot is a reflection, when you move your eye position the apparent position of the red dot also moves and compensates for parallax error.

The use on cameras is very much the same as the use on telecopes. With long focal length the FOV is very narrow so it is hard to locate the subject by looking thorugh the view finder.

With the red dot finder you look through the screen and align the red dot with the subject and it will fall within the FOV with reasonable accuracy. You can then release the shutter immediately (if the subject is moving) or look through the viewfinder to re-compose (if the subject is relatively slow moving or stationary.
    Last edited by roygoh; 30th November 2006 at 02:10 PM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast