Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only shoot aliens...

3 6.67%
  • I enjoy photocopying...

1 2.22%
  • I don't know what I'm shooting....

1 2.22%
  • Who cares, just shoot whatever I like...

40 88.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photocopier rulez....

Looking at the kind of posts in HWZ, aren't we glad that we are in CS?

Anyway, KNV seems to be back at it again...

This is call eat full too free.

Why bother with other people shooting habits.

It is also not as if people are begging for opinion from them.

What an "interesting" sparring war!

Hi

i dun read HWZ's photo section nowadays but i'm shocked that the thread will all its vulgarities, obscene name calling and wat nots is allowed to stay on. have they got no moderators?!

there are better ways to express one's opinion.

there's nothing wrong with a complete beginner buying expensive equipment provided he / she is keen to learn and has a genuine interest in learning photography. Heck, even if he / she doesn't, it probably doesn't concern me since it's not my money

The choice of equipment is a highly personal. Anyone should be free to use watever they choose, watever their level of skill.

All of us has to start somewhere in the long learning process. Copying or replicating the angles of another photographer we admire is certainly part of the process of deriving one's own unique style and vision. Whether u're a newbie from HWZ or Clubsnap doesn't matter one bit.

The complete and self confident photographer is one who is not bound by the shackles of conformity. If one does not shoot something or restraints one's creativity by not taking a photo simply because someone has already done the same thing before, then one IS bounded by aritificial confines and self imposed boundaries on one's artistic expression.

Nothing beats doing it yourself. The creation of an individual piece of work is an edifying process, even if the idea or concept is based on someone else's. Afterall, there's always a first time, and it's up to the photographer to improve on the original work by giving it a derivative spin, a different outlook, an opposing perspective.

Should we not take to the streets because we are all living in the shadow of Henri Cartier Bresson? Or do we shun from funny dog pictures simply because Elliot Erwitt has already taken them all? Should Rene Burri not take his famous picture of Che Guvera simply because it's been done before?

I stopped at page 2 of that hardwarezone thread. Reading it has reminded me why ClubSnap was started. We all should be thankful for its creation
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

agreeing w avatar's views, the silent master is no master. with something artsy, ie non-tangible, like photography, we are all here to exchange pointers. as for equipment, different performance for diff picture styles, eg slow lens? shoot stills.
    mo money buy leica, less money buy konica... (no offence meant )

rambling again, but HWZ is going downhill in terms of average EQ and IQ and what Q... overrun by ppl who speak low-grade english AND low-grade dialects AND extremely low-grade attitude... moderators included, obvious bias...

somehow somewhere I feel like we're beating a dead horse. but it always crops up like weeds in summer.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Hi

i just remembered something similar being said about this before. i did a little digging and found this gem:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...one_that.shtml

with pictures, too
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Originally posted by Red Dawn
    ...reminded me why ClubSnap was started. We all should be thankful for its creation
    so we should buy a bigger cake this coming SEED?

When my kids start out learning to read and write, they have to learn the alphabet. A to Z, no such thing as being creative and making up your own alphabets. You write it like this - see, copy me.

Does that mean that one day they will not write the Great Singapore Novel? No.

'nuff said.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    When my kids start out learning to read and write, they have to learn the alphabet. A to Z, no such thing as being creative and making up your own alphabets. You write it like this - see, copy me.

Does that mean that one day they will not write the Great Singapore Novel? No.

'nuff said.

'There are times when one are learning the tools and building blocks, and there will come a time when something great will come out of it'

Actually copying people's work does make you learn. I remember when I just first bought a digicam the first shot I took was that of a water droplet falling from a tap. When I first posted it, I got bashed for copying other's work and having no creativity. I conceded that it's true, but many people don't realise that taking that shot is not as simple as it seems. I tried > 40 shots just to make it right. (Perhaps that's why I'm still a newbie).

I guess it takes some time to copy and learn the technicalities of photography before anyone can venture into creating their own style. Japan also starting out copying European products before becoming what they are today didn't they? Even Taiwan is starting out doing the copying phase now...

yeah so true...

but I think this thread start to sound like sellavision liao LOL... quit patting our own backs men!

Geez his essay does not enlighten me at all. blar blar blar.

Blog Entries

I got into photography cos of my love for films..

if the photocopier theory is indeed true then cinemas would cease to exist since the best 100, make that, 1000 or even 10,000 films have already been made. Definitely more than enuff to last a lifetime even if you were to watch two or three films a day.

From Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kurosawa to Wells, Goddard and Fellini, most, if not all, arresting and powerful images and tales have been forged.

but yet many still strive to better the classics. Many fail (whether they had too much, too little money/inspiration is not the issue here) but some come close to greatness.

In the words of Wong Kar Wai, more good films are been made due to the availability of the expertise and know-how through film schools etc etc but there are and will continue to remain only a few masters and geniuses of the craft.

to put all this in perspective, those who advocate the photographier theory need not bother to visit the cinema ever again or even watch tv since the best has already been done and life is complete. Even though I tend to be disappointed with most of the films made today that has not stopped me from watching them cos the one good gem is worth a million grains of sand.

But you wont find the gem unless you look, rite?
    Last edited by sebastiansong; 7th January 2003 at 12:31 PM.

While we are on the subject of "photocopying" other people's styles, etc, have a read of this article by Nelson Tan.

http://www.nelsontan.com/articles/passion.html

Extract:
    It was a turning point in my photography life. I scrutinize the competition prints, as well as popular works, to determine what works and what did not. The lesson was most enlightening. I discovered colour harmony, contrast, lighting effect, compositional creativity I had never known about. However, I also lost something vital - individuality. My images began to resemble that of everyone else's. At that point in time, it seemed like a good thing. Being similar to the award winning prints was to emulate the best, was it not ? What could be so bad about striving to copy the leader ?

Those were not my photos. They were not me. For a few years, I adored the popular styles that won recognition. My photography no doubt improved quite a bit by learning many techniques that the leading photographers used. However, the trade off was apparent in the loss of individuality. I became the human Xerox machine, trying to pull off a copy of the winning images. I had failed to recognize the human element behind the technicalities. In my pursuit for technical excellence, I did not realize that the winning prints had the character of the photographer in them. By copying the images wholesale, I gained technical competence and lost my individual style.
    Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    While we are on the subject of "photocopying" other people's styles, etc, have a read of this article by Nelson Tan.

http://www.nelsontan.com/articles/passion.html

Extract:

Regards
    CK
    I guess it's choice between appealing to yourself or appealing to others being more important to you...

Originally posted by denizenx

rambling again, but HWZ is going downhill in terms of average EQ and IQ and what Q... overrun by ppl who speak low-grade english AND low-grade dialects AND extremely low-grade attitude... moderators included, obvious bias...

maybe not everyone are as well educated as you? or can speak better english like you?

I smell kerosene...

Guys, keep . No need to get worked up at all. Let's enjoy what we want to do it initially, go shooting!!

Yes, Nelson said that, didn't he? The Human Xerox Machine. That makes Teddy a copier as well, since he was not the original person to come up with the concept.

There is nothing new under the sun (so why do I keep checking dpreview for news of new cameras? ).

Originally posted by rncw

maybe not everyone are as well educated as you? or can speak better english like you?
    I mean ALL of the conditions, not just english, even the hokkien they use is mostly vulgarities or crude terms, plus major lack of courtesy... the same stuff I hear at those Canto tea dances from those beng kids...

if you're like that then I suppose you can get angry...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast