Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What to do? Parental issues.

Default Re: What to do? Parental issues.

Quote Originally Posted by biggmalique
    or a canon s3!
    yeah. when i was researching, i had 3 in mine, minolta A1, Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ10.(all these are pretty old models since it was 2 years ago). but when minolta as it is the only one with a manual zoom ring, so some special effects like zoom burst can be done, and also, it is faster to zoom by turning rather than pressing buttons.

well, it's how bad u want it i guess. When i got my first Nikon, i wiped out every single cent in my account. i remember having to bargain down to the cent to make sure i got just enought to pay the salesman!

Quote Originally Posted by calebk
    ... Thanks for the new advice guys, especially deadpoet, although it was quite harsh.
    Learning to shoot within limitations of your camera is a very good way to learn photography. At the end of the day, you have less veriable to worry about, and you just execute your best within limitation. I had shot with a 35mm f3.5 lens for over 3 years before buying a 135mm f4 tele. Back then, there really aren't too many choices either.

Really, I am serious, do not immediately eliminate the older DSLR from your consideration, especially the D60, it's old, it's slow, but if you shoot at iso 100, damn nice color.

But remember, the camera and lens is only the first step. Don't forget the computer and related accessories. Btw, if you need a dry cabinet/box to store your camera, then my suggestion is DO NOT BUY the camera at the first place. Why? Becasue you are not shooting enough. As long as the camera is out and being used, fungus won't grow.

I disagree with some who said we must get permission from parents to do everything. Young people must learn make decisions and take responsibility. However, if you need them to help you with your camera purchase, good luck
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I agree with everyone who has encouraged you to work hard, save up & pay it yourself...

makes you realise how much (of your) hard work goes into that piece of equipment... so you'll be sure to give it lots of TLC... (some of your stuff sounds like it's been thru hell with you...)

also shows your parents how much this passion/hobby/interest/future career means to you.
    and how much you respect their decision too... cos you are not going to go on the sly and use emotional blackmail to get what you want from them but will do things practically & logically to reach your goal. show them that you can balance studies & everything else. I'm sure they'll respect you for that too.

and hey, patience is a virtue... not everything in life is i want now & i get now...

sure, my parents' eyes popped out of their sockets when got my car and then my equipment, but they saw the hard work and determination to maintain everything within my means and not depending on them to fund MY THINGS (eh, it's your hobby leh, not theirs)... their support in the end, whether in spirit, financially or watever else is a bonus...

like many have told you, think things through. there are many alternatives to sustain you till the time when everything is easily within your reach.
    I go by feel... Never followed the rules.
    www.photosbymarbles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benjymocha
    ... (some of your stuff sounds like it's been thru hell with you...)

Naw, I didn't even touch the Konica before it became like that. It was already dead and waiting. Hehe. The Exilim is still under warranty, so I'm going down to the service center once my term ends, in one week!

I've been pondering for quite some time on getting a DSLR to replace my dad's old Konica SLR, which is unusable already, and I've decided on the 350D.

The problem here is that my parents don't think it's a good investment. They think I should wait till I start working (in 4+ years) before I purchase a DSLR. Here's where (I think) it gets complicated. I plan to start building up my portfolio (inclusive of photography) now, so that when I finish school, I can find some work for awhile before serving the nation. I have spoken to them (somewhat) about this but they still claim that it's not a good idea as "technology will advance and your camera will become obselete in no time. Then you'll want a new one. blablabla." I've tried explaining the idea of the SLR system of interchangeable lenses, which are mostly what decides the photo, not so much the camera body (although there is an element of truth in it), but they're obstinate.

With the spree of upcoming events that I really want to capture, I don't see how I can convince them that this is a good decision to purchase a DSLR, thus being able to build up my portfolio, and prepare for next semester's photography module. (I study in NP, FSV.)

Has anyone been through this, who can give me some helpful advice (hopefully before mid-August, as that's when Parisilk stops giving the freebies with the 350D kit)?
    Maybe I'm an old timer, I got my EOS500 and kit lens (35-80 or something like that) using my hard earn cash when I was in U, giving tuition part time to put my self through school. This may be a wrong expectation on 10 years later in today times. But I would expect at least you should know what is spend within your means. DSLR is definitely good, and 350D is definitely attractive. But if you don't have the money to buy one, there are tons of alternatives around... D30 is probably going around $400 in second hand market, and a 50 1.8 will be another $90 in second hand market. Do you think this will make you lesser in learning photography or explore your creativity ?

Explore ways within your means, it will serve you better longer run in your life. As you can self sustain your interest, you can start to upgrade and expand your gears collection.

Deregistered

Save up and buy your own. It's your money then.

Parents only need to provide you with food/lodgings for as long as they deem a need to. They don't need to buy you 'toys' anymore

If you're really desperate, go by the instalment method. Do note however, it's not a good idea. I took up a iBook 'loan' of 2 years, only to sell it within 3 weeks and get a PB and now finally a MBP. And guess what? I'm still paying off the iBook 'loan' Will finish paying next June.

It's tempting to keep using it, but you'll have to keep it under control.

Either you can get a job and invest in a DSLR or don't get one. I mean jumping in the DSLR bandwagon just like that, of course they don't trust you. I had my prosumer cam for 4+yrs, and still learning from it after 4yrs, before I got a DSLR. But what's the diff, it's better to hone your cam skills first, I know some DSLR users are ahem, lousy pointers.
    Btw I got my DSLR, after suffered god knows how much in a foreign land, as a poor student with not much moolah, and managed to succeed on a fluke? Only then, I could afford a DSLR. Give your parents a break.
    But you would prob not take my advice so work for it.
    Last edited by dennisc; 8th August 2006 at 09:51 PM.

Work for it. Why always rely on parents? If you are not handicapped, then work for it.

When it comes to education, I think they will have no problem supporting you. To them camera is an extra.

Your parents is RIGHT. My parents said the same thing to me when I was your age. I studied and work at the same time. Even when I was in Uni in Melbourne, I studied during the day and wash dishes in a restaurant during the evening time for the extra pocket money for equipments and travelling. Money earn by yourself is very satisfying. Nothing beats that.

When you start working and earn your own money, you will know why your parents are not wiling to purchase you a DSLR. To earn a living in Singapore is not as easy as it seems. You are lucky to have a home to stay in, have your parents cook for you and be educated in a good school. Not all kids in the world has this privilage. So be happy about it.

If you really love shooting too, you still can save some money to buy a film SLR. Why the need for DSLR? Next thing you will want a better and faster computer, more memory cards, a portable HDD, lens and so on. So it will never end. Then again if you can proof yourself you have the interest and passion and produce good results for your parents to see, then I can guarantee your parents will be more than willing to invest whatever they can afford.

If you have the guts, print this thread for your parents to read.

Don't even think of installment methods as you are not paying it.

I think a lot of us here are lecturing Caleb as if he were ignorant. Let's just give the guy some support and let him have a break.

I've been pondering for quite some time on getting a DSLR to replace my dad's old Konica SLR, which is unusable already, and I've decided on the 350D.

The problem here is that my parents don't think it's a good investment. They think I should wait till I start working (in 4+ years) before I purchase a DSLR. Here's where (I think) it gets complicated. I plan to start building up my portfolio (inclusive of photography) now, so that when I finish school, I can find some work for awhile before serving the nation. I have spoken to them (somewhat) about this but they still claim that it's not a good idea as "technology will advance and your camera will become obselete in no time. Then you'll want a new one. blablabla." I've tried explaining the idea of the SLR system of interchangeable lenses, which are mostly what decides the photo, not so much the camera body (although there is an element of truth in it), but they're obstinate.

With the spree of upcoming events that I really want to capture, I don't see how I can convince them that this is a good decision to purchase a DSLR, thus being able to build up my portfolio, and prepare for next semester's photography module. (I study in NP, FSV.)

Has anyone been through this, who can give me some helpful advice (hopefully before mid-August, as that's when Parisilk stops giving the freebies with the 350D kit)?
    you teens nowadays are very well fed.
    can have HP, camera... with some "talking" with parents...
    last time, want to use computer got to stay in sch.
    A normal PnS is reasonable, but then a DSLR is like asking parents to spent $$ nothing... due to the depreciation value.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    I think a lot of us here are lecturing Caleb as if he were ignorant. Let's just give the guy some support and let him have a break.
    why not you give provide him a canon 350D then???
    since you support him.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    why not you give provide him a canon 350D then???
    since you support him.
    Don't get smart with me. There's always a few ways to talk to people...gentle and encouraging, or just plain lecturing.

Then again, I do have an old film camera sitting in the box doing nothing and it may be better off with him. Caleb, please drop me a PM if you're keen to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    If he is not ignorant, he would not have post this thread. Parents are always right. For this matter, no one is lecturing him. We are sharing our own personal experiences with him. I am sure he wants to know how we got our first camera as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    If he is not ignorant, he would not have post this thread. Parents are always right. For this matter, no one is lecturing him. We are sharing our own personal experiences with him. I am sure he wants to know how we got our first camera as well.
    My first camera was a Canon Powershot G3 and it was funded mostly by the Singapore government as part of its New Singapore Shares scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    My first camera was a Canon Powershot G3 and it was funded mostly by the Singapore government as part of its New Singapore Shares scheme.
    mine first was supported my mindef allowance*.

*for few months

All I can say is, if your parents are firm about not paying for your DSLR yet you still persist in trying to convince them otherwise, without considering other alternatives such as working part-time or film SLR, then your claims about being passionate about photography really cannot be taken seriously.

Thanks for most of the support and some of the *ahem* support that I've received. Rest assured I'm not begging them, and I don't think I'm ignorant either. I come asking for advice and I'm branded ignorant. Thanks.

Hi calebk,

Since you came for advise, I and many others gave you our advise in the shoe of a parent and some in the shoe of a youngster and even photographer...

In diff light, your desire may look differently, ignorant, passionate, cool....etc, just like shooting an obj from diff angles.

So, hope that you will take in all the advise, analyse them and decide which is the best approach to solve this prob.

I for one did not say that you are ignorant....it's just diff pharse in life where everyone goes thru...enjoy the process of life!

Thanks for most of the support and some of the *ahem* support that I've received. Rest assured I'm not begging them, and I don't think I'm ignorant either. I come asking for advice and I'm branded ignorant. Thanks.

Well, what's ur problem in the first place? From ur intial post (quoted below) these are what most (or all) will derive:

Derivation:
    - U want a DSLR
    - Ur Dad's Konica's dead as a doornail
    - Your parents do not want to support your passion for reasons known to them only
    - You would want to build up a portfolio (to capture fireworks which ISN't really a good portfolio, but oh well, what the heck)
    - One of your Polytechnic Modules require the use of a camera (digital/film unspecified)
    - You claim ur parents are obstinate and stubborn, do not want to listen to your badgering

You came in here, asking for advice. All of us, experienced this one time or another. We all shared our experiences and grandmother stories and you said:

So, what kind of 'advice' are you looking for?
    - An enlightenment or an insight to what your parents are thinking (which most had given but u probably regard it as a form of sacarsm?)
    - Advice on how to persuade your parents further to the point where they would buckle and yield to your constant badgering (sorry, but some here are parents, some are beyond that age of badgering parents for toys)?
    - Advice on part-time jobs to take up? Hotel banquets, fast-food restaurants are always looking for people.
    - Advice on how to save up? Cut down or terminate (drastically) all leisure activities.
    - Advice on a camera? You already had your own choice - Canon EOS 350D

So, what are you looking for? If u find this post extremely offensive to the point that it will cause you extreme distress, feel free to report my post to the moderators and admins for 'flaming' or 'violation of TOS'. I'll gladly accept a ban with open arms.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast