Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do? Parental issues.

Default Re: What to do? Parental issues.

somehow i think that he came here for ideas how to persuade his parents to give in, and end up all of us are on the parents side....hehe..

see, photography makes us all mature adults.

Hahaha. Looks like it. Anyway, I understand what a lot of you guys are bringing across. It does make sense.

I showed my mom some of the better photos I took earlier this year and she was quite impressed. Don't know what's going through her head now.

And for those that didn't see the earlier post, the Konica is in no working condition whatsoever. I've went to TCW and the guy there told me they didn't have the parts to repair it.

follow your heart. even if photography proves to be a passing fancy, at least you'd have given it a shot.

don't forget, it's one thing to respect your parents, but curbing your passion right now could potentially affect your future life(lihood). i don't believe in having regrets when im older as i look back at all the 'what ifs' and everything that 'could've been'.

and as some of the other guys have said, save up for it yourself and you'll appreciate it a whole lot more. technology never stands still, so it doesnt really matter when you buy it cos itll probably be obsolete the moment it enters your hands.

regards,
    inf1d3l

Quote Originally Posted by calebk
    Hahaha. Looks like it. Anyway, I understand what a lot of you guys are bringing across. It does make sense.

I showed my mom some of the better photos I took earlier this year and she was quite impressed. Don't know what's going through her head now.

And for those that didn't see the earlier post, the Konica is in no working condition whatsoever. I've went to TCW and the guy there told me they didn't have the parts to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003

If you persist, 2 tight slaps will be all you gonna get from me.

I'm serious.

if cannot get sponsor from parents and u are really keen of the DSLR.
    then u got to save for it.

1) get a part time job
    2) go home and take all your meals
    3) if all your meals are taken outside, then take cheaper meals ($2.50 chicken rice from hawker center, no drink, bring your own water bottle)...
    4) reduce your outing with friends
    5) cut down on all other form of entertainment (eg. movie, clubbing, etc)
    6) take bus instead of mrt
    7) get a 2nd hand DSLR... lens...
    etc...

its all up to you.

auron, nice list.

Reminded me during my ns-days

seriously thread starter, its a nicer feeling if you buy it with your own hard earned money.

Member/Tangshooter

Get urself a part-time job and earn for ur own camera..
    ..my thinking is tat if u r goin to pick up photography as a hobby, its better to spend ur own money, u will appreciate it better..for the time being u have to be happy with a PnS..master your composition and PS first..if u can master this 2, u will find dslr not a necessity..but when u can afford one..that will be the time u move to the next stage of photography..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Get a part time job.... That reminds me of the time when I entered ITE and earning my own pocket money.

BTW, anyone knows the current working rate for Banquets? Are they still at $5/hr or double for weekends and (or) public holidays?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

IMHO, there are two issues:

1. DSLR are not cheap, and who is paying for it?

2. Parents may worry that once you pick up photography, you may neglect your studies.

As a parent, they would worry more about their kids education and well being more than anything else. Try to see it from their shoes and the pictures will be clearer. Unless if your parents are loaded, then that is a different story.

Alternatively, consider getting a 2nd hand digital cam.
    Last edited by billpepsi; 7th August 2006 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auron
    if cannot get sponsor from parents and u are really keen of the DSLR.
    then u got to save for it.

1) get a part time job
    2) go home and take all your meals
    3) if all your meals are taken outside, then take cheaper meals ($2.50 chicken rice from hawker center, no drink, bring your own water bottle)...
    4) reduce your outing with friends
    5) cut down on all other form of entertainment (eg. movie, clubbing, etc)
    6) take bus instead of mrt
    7) get a 2nd hand DSLR... lens...
    etc...

its all up to you.
    5) I don't go clubbing, and I haven't been able to watch movies anyway. Haha.
    6) Now bus and mrt are equally expensive. In fact, going to some places by MRT is cheaper than going by bus.

If my parents didn't ban me from playing the guitar, I would not be able to play it today...
    Sometimes we do the darnest things

Get job, buy camera, shoot xmm, marry xmm, make more xmm
    more cameras sold.. the circle of life.

aiyo, close both eyes and buy fujifilm F30 first lor

portfolio is about your work, not your camera... no doubt camera must be good and i think F30 is up to it

4 years from now get Nikon D800 or canon 90D... or would you prefer to buy 350D now and 4 years from now still use 350D?

your parents are partially right lah...

my advice is F30...

4 years from now when you start work, get a good body and the greatest lense collection hehehe

Smile Re: What to do? Parental issues.

you could consider a used unit to lower the initial investment, thereby reducing resistance from your parents, hopefully.

anyway, one's desires do 'evaporate' over time and may never recur. so, treasure them. one only lives once.

Your reason for getting a DSLR sucks! It does not hold water. It's a reason that is used to try to convince your parents to buy you the camera. At the end of the day, you really have only one valid reason, that photography is your passion, you love it and want to do more. That to build a portfoilio and to earn some money before you go to NS is a crock of sh*t. You know it, and your parents also!

One thing from what you said, I am puzzled. At the end of the day, are you really that passionate about photogrpahy? You have picked up the hobby a year ago. Do you think it had passed the test of time. I have been shooting nearly twice as long as you are old, and still, I ask myself sometimes, how passionate my I with photography?

That said, let's look at your situation, how to get you a camera. Well, savings at$70, you ar screwed!

Why don't you buy a cheaper/older DSLR, there are some very good D30 and D60 floating around, and they are cheap. They have their limitations, but within those limitations, they can take excellent pictures.

Better still, get another film SLR, they are all relatively cheap. It's a better way to learn photography.

You said you want to build a portfolio so that you can make some money off it after school, and before NS. Well, I don't buy your reason, but let's just go with it. I have an extremely direct but harsh question for you. How come you are so sure you can build a portfolio, and your portfolio is good enough to make you some money? Do you know how many superb but staving artists are there out there?
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 7th August 2006 at 05:36 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Blog Entries

i agree with the Film SLR advice

get a used SLR and one lens and go from there
    if your father has the lenses for his konica and they can still be used
    why not buy another old konica and carry on from your father's footsteps

its cheaper and easier to get approval
    what more you can have father-son bonding

Hi Calebk,
    I have told my children that they must get my OK before they buy anything besides tuckshop food. Well, at least when they were in Primary 1. As they grow, they are given more leeway, but they know they have to earn that respect and freedom. And they almost always pay a portion of what they want to buy. I do not agree with suggestions that if you have your own money, go ahead and buy, parental approval or not.

Since your parents have objected, do not go on a direct confrontation path. As objectionable as their response is to you, I think your reasons may be equally incomprehensible to them. You should think carefully about Deadpoet's very direct post.

Photography is a pasison. It is not a livelihood for many of us. It may not bring in money, but it certainly allows us to balance our work life (which will be very demanding). A great hobby to have for a lifetime.

Don't give up. Continue to engage your parents. Since it sounds like both cameras are down, save up for something cheap so you can continue taking photos. Film sounds good, though it may mean that you can only afford to develope one roll a month - you will really think before you press the shutter! You will have time for comtemplation, which will result in better images.

Don't go for something beyond your means. You don't need the latest gear. Living on tap water and bread is tough....

Ok. I've said it twice. The konica lens is screwed.

Thanks for the new advice guys, especially deadpoet, although it was quite harsh.

work and pay for it urself, you'll be more satisfied through your own hard work. I waited 10+ years to get one...
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

worse come to worse, you can always buy those prosumers cameras like sony R1 or minolta's A1, A2, A200(can find alot in B&S). i particularly like these cameras as they act like an SLR(therefore the term DSLR-like). b4 going into DSLR, i was with the minolta A1. found it a worthy investment. it was till when i started shooting indoor events more when i needed a DSLR to allow a higher sensitivity without too much noise.

or a canon s3!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast