Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do? Parental issues.

Default Re: What to do? Parental issues.

I'm actually considering purchasing a 2nd hand 300D.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk
    The reason I'm looking at digital is because I want to save money in the long run, on film. Of course I'd love to shoot on film, especially B/W. I find the effect of B/W film can never be replicated on a digital platform, unless much postprod is done to the shot. I'm gonna be shooting with an F55 next semester, so it'll be quite fun to use film.

EDIT: Oh did I mention the school will develop one roll of film (solely for school purposes) for free? =)
    Heheh...my feelings as well. Street photography is something that may even benefit from film. Digital sensors these days are probably too clean and won't give the grain even if you want it. I presume the F55 will be borrowed from your school, but can you get special permission to use it for your own purposes? If you can, then delay your purchase until you're sure about what you really want.

A 300D is good but still out of reach for your budget. And you'll probably need to get a hacked version, otherwise the original factory one is going to be at a loss in terms of some functions.

Hello, Fellow FSV student here.

It'll be a long and expensive road. I don't think anyone can stress that enough. Of course there will be some out there who can settle down with just 1 or 2 lens, perhaps a 50mm f1.8, or even the 18-55 kit lens.

If you do get a DSLR, I would recommend you try it out with a 50mm f1.8 lens as your starter. Stick with it for 3 months and see how your composition changes. On one hand it saves $$$, on the other hand, it trains your eye.

One alternative would be to get the F55 from Cage whenever you need to shoot. Perhaps get a 2nd hand 50mm lens from BnS on Clubsnap and use it with that camera. Buy film and scan it to CD rather than developing it into prints. There's a FM10 for loan from Cage too.

For your parents to buy you a set of photographic gear that costs 4 figures is a big ask, if you are still in school. I suppose most parents would prefer to put that money toward their child's education, it is still a paper-based society in Singapore after all. Photography just doesn't seem to have the same cultured image as piano lessons or ballet classes, sadly.

So I guess it would be hard for them to indulge your interest, which they might fear is just a passing fad (both in yourself and general public popularity). And there's so many people toting a DSLR nowadays, and more than a few think that just because they have a DSLR, they can make a bit of money out of it. Just like you.

But leave that behind. Assume they won't be shelling out the money for what you want. $70 is all you can cough up? Its really time to put a savings plan, as well as a part time career into action. It might just show your parents that you are serious and you want it no matter what. Even if they don't get softhearted, they might get worried that working part time affects your studies and help you out. If not, just the simple act of working and saving will eventually get you to your goal.

Buy your own stuff, I guarantee it would be more satisfying.

I realised that you're in poly, where I was for a year before I went to JC. My equipment is quite extensive, but I did work hard to get it. I'll share with you my story, cos I'm probably not much older than you.

For the 6 months between the time when I started year 1 and when I ended Sec 4, I worked as a full-time waiter for 6 months. I kept every single cent I earned, and pumped all 6k into photography to buy my first digital system. I was previously shooting with a Nikon FM2 plus 1 35-70 lens, which was handed down to me by my dad. I bought a 300D, an EOS 3 and a set of pretty decent lenses with that first 6k, having decided to invest in a whole new system. That was still prior to the release of the d70, or I might have gone Nikon.

I started doing freelance work here and there and really investing quite a bit of time into photography. My dad picked up on it and decided to support me by "entering photography again" and dumping 6k on a 1dMKII, obviously it was a gift to me la but he didn't want it to look like it i think. Probably some asian culture thing. I use it 99% of the time, while he uses it for the occasional holiday. He uses the darn thing like a PnS, so it's quite funny.

So what happens is I own all the 10 lenses in the dry cabi while he owns the camera, technically of course. Since you're in poly; i remember how it was like, you can most certainly afford to work part time. I remember being super free, could take up assignments anytime. So ya. I'm sure that in a couple of months you can afford a DSLR and a lens or two. I'm not talking about photo work btw, get a job at macs or retail or something. Those pay out regular sums and you can set a fixed date to buy your stuff, which really helps A LOT during those long hours slogging away.

Good luck. The important thing is you've gotta work for it, it's the only way you'll know if you've got enough passion to keep at it or if it'll fade off soon enough. Saving is way too slow for a student. Never works.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Like you i started out with a PnS. ifrst was with my handphone camera then my old LC-33 which was basicly my trainign wheels. Only 6 months later did i buy a second hand film SLR to really learn. Film is a great tool to teach you to get exposures right as well as to make you think and compose before you shoot. I think i went though almost 15 rolls of film in that 5 month period. My last roll before i went digital was slides. I can safely say that i got addicted to the colours

I burned my recent holidays (2.5months of it) to work and earn the money for my 350D body. It helped that besides my passion for photogrpahy i had a passion for animals (since animals got me started in photography in the first place). Stoned has very good advice there. My parents were a little hesitant about me blowing so much on a body but since hey saw that i was pretty serious about it they let me do it in the end. It is satisfying to be able to buy your own gear without depending on others.
    Last edited by raptor84; 6th August 2006 at 09:20 PM.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

I've got some pretty impressive shots, that I haven't showed my parents. Apparently they want to close the issue and aren't really willing to listen to any of my reasoning. I've started saving, and have a grand total of $70! (Can buy a few filters. Hehe. Maybe cardboard 350D.)
    Define 'impressive'.

So, happy saving. $70 probably will get u just a 77mm UV filter or 2 55mm UV filter. That's just abt it.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Whatever it is, don't lose heart. Believe it or not, you're in a good position right now, even being without any gear. The reason is that in the mean time, you'll be able to ponder over things...decide what you really want and what's best for you. Stay passionate and inspired, and get your hands on whatever you can...borrow from someone if need be. The idea is to keep shooting and learning at the same time.

Personally, if I could ditch everything I have now at minimal loss and get a capable P&S like the Fuji F11 or F30, or perhaps something like the Canon S3 IS, I might very well do that. Perhaps the purpose is to do more with less, but once you get stuck into an SLR system, it's very difficult to do so. After the kit lens, it might be an upgrade, then a tele lens. Then hmm...maybe I want an ultrawide. Maybe a portrait lens too, and a macro lens... Well, you get the drift.

CalebK, $70 is a start. You gotta slowly build the bricks AND as the others have said, consider working as a part-time waiter or something and earn more. You're gonna have to slog like mad.

My story is slightly different. I got an FM2 as a gift from my dad as a way to introduce me to photography, even though there were alot of slicker looking models out there then (like F-801 etc) but the shop assistant also felt I needed to learn the basics of photography before moving up the proverbial ladder, so to speak.

Then I entered art school and my FM2 was my weapon of choice for the 4 years I spent getting my degree. I kindda slacked off photography for the next 8 years, concentrating on getting a decent salary and discovering other interests like miniature modelling etc. What got me back was the totally crap pictures I took when I was in Korea, using a PnS(not the camera's fault but rather my laziness) + another completely underexposed set of film images I got using the old F-601. That kindda woke me up so I started slogging like mad for a DSLR but got a prosumer in the meantime to get me used to manual controls again.

I only got my EOS 350D a month or so back, after saving a fair bit for it and making absolutely sure it was going to last me a fair bit. Unlike film SLRs, which have stood the test of time, DSLRs are still in it's infancy so to speak and you might just be tempted to chase after the latest + greatest releases. So I concur with the others, get used to film (you'll actually love it), then move on to DSLRs when you've saved enough to buy it on your own. I'm now saving for a 1Ds Mk II fwiw and it'll probably take me another few more years of slogging just to own a FF if prices of the current FF is anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    After the kit lens, it might be an upgrade, then a tele lens. Then hmm...maybe I want an ultrawide. Maybe a portrait lens too, and a macro lens... Well, you get the drift.
    It is not a maybe, you want those lenses, you really really do. You need them, it's imperitive you buy them......

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    It is not a maybe, you want those lenses, you really really do. You need them, it's imperitive you buy them......
    Man, you're a devil. Don't psycho me, or Caleb for that matter!

But I confess, yes I do want an ultrawide. And that's after having a tele lens and a kit lens. So there you go...lots of truth in it. However I'd lay off the macro lens...for now.

right now, i am still making a loss on my camera equipment...haha...the moment i start to make $$$, i might just go for a 1dmkiin...then again, only if i am sure, i am recoup my losses.

For me, whatever has come out from photography has all gone back in. Technically, i haven't taken back anything so far

The BBB virus is never ending, just keep buying until you're shiok, then eventually at some point you might be satisfied. Or you can do what I do, keep changing your equipment around to keep things fresh. If you manage your sales and purchases properly you'll be BBBing and sellsellselling without losing anything, then you can play around with the different lenses on a fixed amount of capital. Sometimes though, you fall in love with a lens and it sticks forever

So far though, only my 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and Zenitar 16/2.8 have gained immunity status in my dry cabinet. Everything else may go at any time
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

my 2cents worth, if you are really interested, earn your own money to buy whatever you want or take a loan. i hardly ask for money from my parents after i entered colleage. i earn my own keep and cherish my processions more than my teenage years.

if your money comes from your parents, i say, its their money, if they want to give to you or not, its their business at the end of the day.

I'm actually considering purchasing a 2nd hand 300D.
    My bro-in-law bought his 300D in '03, a few months after starting work..
    Used it to build his portfolio, and is still a trusty back-up for his 5D..

My say is just that:
    if you really need wanna start a portfolio, can first try borrowing a cam from a friend, shoot as much as you can, meanwhile saving up for your own gear..
    After a few months, if you think photography is your cup of tea, go ahead and buy..
    If you think photography is not for you, then no loss.. In fact you will already have some $ put away for a rainy-day..

Canon 30D 100-400mm L IS|Tamron 17-35mm/f2.8-4,28-75mm/f2.8|Cosina Voigtlander Bessa-R 35mm/f2.5C

Well, at least I can see that some of your parents can afford to come up with thousands of dollars to help you purchase and pursue your dreams!

I for one, didn't have such luxury, as we were not very well to do, and giving me an extra $70 would also had been impossible.

Time to tell my grandfather story:

Since the tender age of 8, I was already passionate about music, but my parents couldn't even afford to buy me the mouthpiece of the brass instrument I was playing. I didn't asked them to buy me one too, for I knew it was impossible.

I persevered with the instrument provided to me by the school/college band, and practised for 5-7 hours a day. I saved my pocket money to get myself a private tutor, behind my parents' back.

Even till the day I gave my 1st solo concert recital at the Victoria Concert Hall, I still did not own my dream instrument.

It was only after I quit the music scene, that I bought my dream instrument, ironical isn't it? I promised to buy myself one when I could afford it, and I had to fulfill my 20+ yr old dream. Now, that's called passion.

Thus, I don't believe that you need to buy your own camera, in order to become a pro. True passion is more powerful then whatever equipment money can buy, and will even appreciate with time, unlike your DSLR.

Thus, if you are truly passionate about photography, I'm sure a few years wait to buy your own camera and lenses will not douse that fire, will it? In the meantime, like others, I'd suggest to you to just borrow from your school or friends.

Only time will tell if it is just a 3 minute heat, or a life long passion.

I'm still playing my music alright, only my audience have shrunken from a few hundreds to just 1, which is my son.

Kenny

Deregistered

Having bought a resale 1D with entirely my own money, made me appreciate the workhorse a lot more.

I've been pondering for quite some time on getting a DSLR to replace my dad's old Konica SLR, which is unusable already, and I've decided on the 350D.

The problem here is that my parents don't think it's a good investment. They think I should wait till I start working (in 4+ years) before I purchase a DSLR. Here's where (I think) it gets complicated. I plan to start building up my portfolio (inclusive of photography) now, so that when I finish school, I can find some work for awhile before serving the nation. I have spoken to them (somewhat) about this but they still claim that it's not a good idea as "technology will advance and your camera will become obselete in no time. Then you'll want a new one. blablabla." I've tried explaining the idea of the SLR system of interchangeable lenses, which are mostly what decides the photo, not so much the camera body (although there is an element of truth in it), but they're obstinate.

With the spree of upcoming events that I really want to capture, I don't see how I can convince them that this is a good decision to purchase a DSLR, thus being able to build up my portfolio, and prepare for next semester's photography module. (I study in NP, FSV.)

Has anyone been through this, who can give me some helpful advice (hopefully before mid-August, as that's when Parisilk stops giving the freebies with the 350D kit)?
    I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it has been said before.

If finances are a challenge, try using a used film camera and maybe 1-2 lenses? Maybe you have enough to cover this setup? Film and developing is not cheap, but if you know when to trip the trigger, you won't need that many shots to get that image.......

Many people used filmcameras (before the digital age) so why can't you?

Hong Sien

Guess it has been reiterated over and over again. Didn't read the first few pages.

I started out under my dad, learning the ropes with a Minolta SRT-101 full manual camera... with only 3 lens - WA / Standard zoom & Zoom with a Soltron flash. Its still working to this day and i miss using it.

Quite frankly since i started digital, i missed the simplicities of manual cameras. All this techno-gizmodos, sometimes i'm not sure how to set the camera to get the correct shot!

My point is (and i guess its been said before) - SAVE.

Live with what you have (is the konica SLR broken?) No? - Use it, appreciate it, practice with it.

The Dimage 7i was bought as a family camera to try out digital (for my dad) and so was the A40 which i still use to this date, and he recently purchased for me a 300D which i've been using to this date as he was keen to see me take up photography bearing in mind only 1 thing - everything and anything after this i have to fund for myself. He's not footing a single cent.

Took me 6 months to save up for my first lens and 2 years to get my first L. Its simply not an easy task but with perservererance, you can.

NEVER depend on your parents to foot the bill. NEVER, for you will not know the true hardship of saving.
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 7th August 2006 at 12:53 AM.

your msg gets me hints that your family has good sense of financial values...

imo, your parent aint unsupportive.. they probably wants to put their education on test and wants u to plan and buy on your own... save up show them how..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast