Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Dear All,

    I have received some old straits settlement coins (circa 1903 - 1945) as well as a Banana Note. Is there any place i can go to so that i may have it valued as well as cleaned?

    Do advised.

    Thank you...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    I know of 2 places. one at Adelphi (opp Funan) Level 2 and another in Lucky Plaza basement (I think).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    There is an old notes and coins seller at Chinatown Peoples Park, second floor......and also inside Adelphi second floor, near the exit towards the aerobridge to Funan....

    Whats a banana notes? From the Banana republic?

    HS

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    There is an old notes and coins seller at Chinatown Peoples Park, second floor......and also inside Adelphi second floor, near the exit towards the aerobridge to Funan....

    Whats a banana notes? From the Banana republic?

    HS
    I think banana notes from the Jap Occupation years...if i'm not wrong.....

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    once you get the banana notes valued , do let me know

    I have 3 or 4 $100 bills

  6. #6
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    I think banana notes from the Jap Occupation years...if i'm not wrong.....
    you are right

    it is called banana money because it has banana trees on it

  7. #7

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    my grandma has plenty. i guess we have to wait for a few more centuries b4 the banana money is worth a sizable amount.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    One more coin and stamps shop inside Paradiz center, I think it was at the ground floor......(sorry, not Fortune center)

    HS
    Last edited by hongsien; 6th August 2006 at 12:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DewaKarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jurong east
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    The banana note got SERIAL number? if its has...then the note has value..if not..dun bother to clean it ..juz waste of money...
    G-Collector

  10. #10
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by DewaKarma
    The banana note got SERIAL number? if its has...then the note has value..if not..dun bother to clean it ..juz waste of money...
    is that so? hmmmm
    any indication to it's worth?

  11. #11

    Smile Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    presumbably, the cleaning is for the coins, not the notes. do not 'clean' your coins under any circumstances. i am assuming that it is for the purpose of sprucing up your collections, increase its appeal, increase its value, etc. 'cleaning' actually debase the coins.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    presumbably, the cleaning is for the coins, not the notes. do not 'clean' your coins under any circumstances. i am assuming that it is for the purpose of sprucing up your collections, increase its appeal, increase its value, etc. 'cleaning' actually debase the coins.
    Dear All,

    Thank you very much for your inputs & insights thus far. The reason why i put forth this question is not to make money off these coins & note but to get an accurate idea on their worth so as to properly archive and preserve them for my own children.

    The true value of these precious items are the history and the sentimental value behind them. As it is, I do appreciate all the inputs shared and would of course welcome any more ideas and leads.

    Thank you.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  13. #13
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Dear All,

    Thank you very much for your inputs & insights thus far. The reason why i put forth this question is not to make money off these coins & note but to get an accurate idea on their worth so as to properly archive and preserve them for my own children.

    The true value of these precious items are the history and the sentimental value behind them. As it is, I do appreciate all the inputs shared and would of course welcome any more ideas and leads.

    Thank you.
    Agree with it.
    I have a stack of those jap goverment occupation money.
    True as what DewaKarma mentioned, they have no valve in terms of $$$.
    But the historical value behind it is strong.
    Valuable items need not be worth because of money.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  14. #14
    Senior Member DewaKarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jurong east
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Well said...it has of coz its historical values..my dad has a couple of banana notes too..if im not wrong stanley gibbons can give u a better value of ur things..those who have the banana notes with serial numbers..keep it with safe it will sure have more value to the notes without it..
    G-Collector

  15. #15

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    btw, anyone kind enuf to scan some of their bananas in here, to let those who haven't saw them b4?

  16. #16
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16
    btw, anyone kind enuf to scan some of their bananas in here, to let those who haven't saw them b4?
    cheap cheap tp buy too.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/WWII-Japanese...QQcmdZViewItem
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  17. #17

    Smile Re: Of Old Coins & Banana Notes

    i thought stanley gibbons is in postal stamps and related items.

    Quote Originally Posted by DewaKarma
    Well said...it has of coz its historical values..my dad has a couple of banana notes too..if im not wrong stanley gibbons can give u a better value of ur things..those who have the banana notes with serial numbers..keep it with safe it will sure have more value to the notes without it..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •