Thread: Reduced frame lens on full frame cameras

Default Reduced frame lens on full frame cameras

Hi guys,

Any one tried using the reduced frame lens like the Nikon DX on full frame cameras, film or otherwise? OK I know there is no fullframe Nikon dSLR.

One of those things I did when I purchased my Sigma 10-20 was to mount the camera on a FM2 and checked if the lens (like the 12-24 Nikon DX) do cover fullframe as some focal length. Lo and behold on the viewfinder it did appear to cover fullframe from about 15mm (appeared as the FM2 viewfinder is not 100%). Like the Nikon 12-24 DX lens that goes fullframe from about 16mm.

I figured if I buy that lens I get 15-30 FOV on my D70, and if a fullframe Nikon dSLR comes along, I'll get 15-20. No real lost as the purpose of such purchase was to get the 20 mm range (my previous widest was 20/3.5Ai).

What I stopped short of doing was to shoot a roll of film on it from 15mm onwards. I am interested to know if some CSer had done this on the Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 11-?.

Resolution, light fallout (darkening of edges), sharpness, fringing, etc would be good info to have.

Report back, please?

Default Re: Reduced frame lens on full frame cameras

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive
    Hi guys,

Any one tried using the reduced frame lens like the Nikon DX on full frame cameras, film or otherwise? OK I know there is no fullframe Nikon dSLR.

One of those things I did when I purchased my Sigma 10-20 was to mount the camera on a FM2 and checked if the lens (like the 12-24 Nikon DX) do cover fullframe as some focal length. Lo and behold on the viewfinder it did appear to cover fullframe from about 15mm (appeared as the FM2 viewfinder is not 100%). Like the Nikon 12-24 DX lens that goes fullframe from about 16mm.

I figured if I buy that lens I get 15-30 FOV on my D70, and if a fullframe Nikon dSLR comes along, I'll get 15-20. No real lost as the purpose of such purchase was to get the 20 mm range (my previous widest was 20/3.5Ai).

What I stopped short of doing was to shoot a roll of film on it from 15mm onwards. I am interested to know if some CSer had done this on the Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 11-?.

Resolution, light fallout (darkening of edges), sharpness, fringing, etc would be good info to have.

Report back, please?
    Strange questiuon, since you have a Sigma 10-20mm lens yourself why not testing it out youself on a nikon filmcamera?

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Strange questiuon, since you have a Sigma 10-20mm lens yourself why not testing it out youself on a nikon filmcamera?

HS
    Cause I was too lazy to shoot it on film and process, scan and check.

Anyhow it is no longer a question. You might know that the Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 and F6 cameras have 100% viewfinder coverage. Took out my Nikon F yesterday and mounted the lens and it vignettes at all focal length, although the amount is almost negligible at about 16 mm onward, but enough to render it useless. No need to consider resolution and sharpness as it doesn't pass the vignette test.

I was told that Tokina 12-24 is also the same, but no way for me to check.

Nikon 12-24, I was told, is good for 16 mm onwards. Should have bought the Nikon lens....

If the lens works well with minimal vignetting on film from about 16mm onwards, then it's probably a fair deal. 16mm on film is quite close to using the Sigma at 10mm on a DX.