Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Olympus is lacking

Default Re: What Olympus is lacking

Yes, been testing out my 40-150mm these few days. a real solid performer i should say. Very sharp! Didn't manage to capture any shots of the birds @ flight. Will test as soon as the weather permits. (been too cloudy during my last outing to fremantle). I belive my skills arent there yet to capture a decent flying bird as what hitman did.
    Hitman, if you are reading this, may i know if you are using C-AF or S-AF ?

Posted this in nature, but here it goes.

-if only i had the 50-200mm =X-
    <<To be updated>> / Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5

Actually, Olympus has the technology to compete with the current photography market. It also has a complete system to satisfy the professional or ameteur photographers. I think what Olympus is lacking is a good marketing team.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Actually, Olympus has the technology to compete with the current photography market. It also has a complete system to satisfy the professional or ameteur photographers. I think what Olympus is lacking is a good marketing team.
    to complete with the competitor...regardless u have good/bad technology..u must be able to reach the customer....Marketing Stratedgy.

and this is what Olypmus is very very weak at.

Quote Originally Posted by zuikoku
    1. Landscape >> Great performer
    2. Portriats >> Nice colour n good tonal reproduction
    3. Action >> Canon/Nikon/Sony win the battle over Olympus
    4. Macro >> E-330 rocks !
    5. Nature >> Nice except following fast bird...
    6. Night >> Canon is the best due to low noise on long exposure
    7. Underwater >> Olympus is great performer !
    8. Astro >> Canon , since for astrophotography need long exposure like night photography
    thks Zuikoku & nightpiper,

that's exactly the kind of personal opinion and experience that u pals have that I require ...I'm just wondering is there something wrong with the words I used on my very first listing that make u pals confused

like what hitman have shown and the mentioned websites of oly users, I personally do find that Oly can do a lot of things and is comparable to the big boys but just because this speed thing, Oly seems like a oldman following behind while the C,N,S roar in front. Sad.

Just to double check on this statement that a Harvey Norman salesperson claims. The 4-3 system allows any manufacturers that adopt the same technology on their product can have free use of each other lenses? i.e kodak lens can be mounted on Oly camera and vice versa? Got so good meh? My time whatever manufacturer body u stick with u have to get whatever accessories from them until third party manufacturer arrives. Can anyone comment on the use of another manufacturer (except 3rd parties lens maker) who adopted 4-3 systems can actually be mount on a oly body with 100% compatibility and feature? If that is true then mai too liao...quickly fly down to buy.

As already mentioned earlier, Panasonic is due to launch its first DSLR which the based on the Four Thirds system like all Olympus DSLRs. It will come with a Leica branded Four Thirds 14-50 mm F2.8-F3.5 OIS lens. It would be the first Four Thirds lens with OIS and will work on all Olympus DSLR camera bodies. This has been confirmed by dpreview in their hands-on preview.
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicdmcl1/

hi, maltese... i think the answer is yes. as tomcat has pointed out. 4/3 design is like an "open" standard... here is a site on 4/3 design.. may be you'll be interested to know.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index_01.htm

thks for the confirmation...I did went to the site before but didn't notice the words "by creating a standard for camera body lens mounts". I was not careful to realised that for once, humans become unselfish and willing to put forward a big step towards unity.

Do you pals realised how big a risk these participating companies will encounter because they no longer can lock users to their brand and the only way for them to profit is to make even better product with lower pricing to outwit each other whom manufacturers the same items. i.e perfect competition. People like us who choose C, N or S becomes a victim of monopoly automatically but I suspect the collabration is a monopolistic move or even a cartel.

But what the hack! Can I say you pals move to oly because of this also? Sick of being locked and pay for whatever price that C,N or S shouted or go to 3rd party manufactuer who faces problem of incompatibility bodies in future etc?

Just like to test the market, if I would to let go of 2 brand new 14-45mm and 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 in the 2nd hand market, do u think they would be as highly sought after as C, N and S?
    Last edited by Maltese; 7th August 2006 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese
    thks for the confirmation...I did went to the site before but didn't notice the words "by creating a standard for camera body lens mounts". I was not careful to realised that for once, humans become unselfish and willing to put forward a big step towards unity.

Do you pals realised how big a risk these participating companies will encounter because they no longer can lock users to their brand and the only way for them to profit is to make even better product with lower pricing to outwit each other whom manufacturers the same items. i.e perfect competition. People like us who choose C, N or S becomes a victim of monopoly automatically but I suspect the collabration is a monopolistic move or even a cartel.

But what the hack! Can I say you pals move to oly because of this also? Sick of being locked and pay for whatever price that C,N or S shouted or go to 3rd party manufactuer who faces problem of incompatibility bodies in future etc?

Just like to test the market, if I would to let go of 2 brand new 14-45mm and 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 in the 2nd hand market, do u think they would be as highly sought after as C, N and S?
    Hi,

You are letting go kit lenses that are bundled in almost every set of body sold. Try letting go 14-54mm or 50-200mm, I think that's completely a different picture.

I don't think that the kit lenses of Canon and Nikon DSLRs have much resale value either. Don't know about Sony since their DSLR is not available yet. Who would buy these kit lenses since they come bundled with the DSLRs and anybody who has the DSLRs would already have the lenses anyway. And those who wanted to and managed to buy the few bodies without lens won't want them in the first place.

Well the 40-150mm does have some resale value around the 230 to 250 SGD range.

The 14-45mm? Once you upgrade to the 14-54mm or 11-22mm (highly recommended by the way), there are only one word to describe the 14-45mm:

Paperweight.

Not to say the 14-45mm is not a good kit lens, it is by far the best kit lens in the entry-level DSLR range.

Doesn't say much about the competitors' kit lenses, does it? (no offence C, N, S and whoever)

Not really adviceable to sell the kit lens..What are you gonna give if you upgrade to another four third?

The only way to sell the 14-45 is to sell with the body.

Just to double check on this statement that a Harvey Norman salesperson claims.
    NEVER trust what the Harvey Norman salesguy says. Take it with a spoonful of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by thw
    NEVER trust what the Harvey Norman salesguy says. Take it with a spoonful of salt.
    Well, in this case, the HN salesguy is correct. A lens made for the Panasonic L1 can indeed be used on an Olympus DSLR.

Looks like the L1's kit lens is gonna be one most sort after...

The only thing lacking in olympus is a forum supported by Olympus to answer all our questions and to give us tips on effective shootings. ie the lack of customer/ manufacturer interaction.
    Last edited by Blu-By-U; 10th August 2006 at 09:05 AM.

Definately the leica lens will be a hot item. I guess there would be shortages everywhere just like the nikkor 18-200 vr when it first came out and in light of tat rouge retailers inflate the prices sky high.

Information released so far is that the Leica lens will not be sold separately and is only available bundled with the L1 body as a kit lens. Until such time when Panasonic and Leica do decide to sell this lens separately, it would probably be the most sought after kit lens in the world and the most difficult to buy in the 2nd hand market.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Oly's level of technology and photo quality is almost same as Nikon and Canon right?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Oly's level of technology and photo quality is almost same as Nikon and Canon right?
    photo quality is very subjective. some like their colours punchy, some like it flater. some like their pictures to be almost 3D, some like it more film like.

all i can say is what oly has, nikon and canon dont have. and what nikon and canon have, oly might not have it. there is no direct comparison between brands and there is no perfect camera (yet).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast