Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD or Intel??

Default Re: AMD or Intel??

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    If you want stability, get a good board.
    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian
    A good motherboard is important (I chose MSI cos of the after sales services of Corbell. The Asus distributer is abit problematic, has been changing distributers for awhile.). Especially for stability. You won't want it to start failing and having to keep going for RMA.

More RAM is better for image processing though, I've got 2GB of ram and wanting to get another 2GB cos according to my monitoring software, it tends to hit past 85% usage while in photoshop .

Of course, an average processor at least will be required. Maybe ard 3.0 GHz should be enough.
    Ok... seems like board is more impt than CPU. I'll definitely go for more ram. 3, if not 4 gigs. Still toying with AMD 939 X23800 for the price/performance. But DDR2 and the newer conroes are tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Ok... seems like board is more impt than CPU. I'll definitely go for more ram. 3, if not 4 gigs. Still toying with AMD 939 X23800 for the price/performance. But DDR2 and the newer conroes are tempting.
    I was also tempted to buy a conroe. However, I'll get a chance to experience it when my friends or when there's an offer for me to DIY one for them .
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

My intel 930 CPU temp stays at around 30 - 34 deg at stock speed.

I was too busy to do overclocking and testing. If I got the time again, I'll certainly try it. Besides, its already good enough for most applications even games at max resolution and max quality graphics settings.
    Wow 34oC, think i shld get the Zalman 9500.

Talking Re: AMD or Intel??

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Wow 34oC, think i shld get the Zalman 9500.
    Yea, its good and looks nice too. And my hands are itching for the conroe 6600 . Hopefully I won't catch the virus from the hardware side ...

Yea, its good and looks nice too. And my hands are itching for the conroe 6600 . Hopefully I won't catch the virus from the hardware side ...
    u are using the non-LED model rite?
    I will stay put with my 930. Good enough for me.
    Thanks for the replies bro.

u are using the non-LED model rite?
    I will stay put with my 930. Good enough for me.
    Thanks for the replies bro.
    I'm using the LED version. I have a transparent side panel casing, so I'll have to make the insides look nice .

Get the Intel Core 2 Duo with an Asus MB. Best combination yet. I agree MSI service is good but I've had problems with 3 of their MB. Gigabyte is also good.

I'm using the LED version. I have a transparent side panel casing, so I'll have to make the insides look nice .
    oic, I also have side windows, thus planning to get the CNPS9500 LED too.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Get teh Intel Core 2 Duo with an Asus MB. Best combination yet. I agree MSI service is good but I've had problems with 3 of their MB. Gigabyte is also good.
    I tried MSI, Giga, & now using Asus, still find MSI not good. Giga is still the best IMHO

I tried MSI, Giga, & now using Asus, still find MSI not good. Giga is still the best IMHO
    Hey bro I totally agree with you. No more MSI for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Hey bro I totally agree with you. No more MSI for me.
    I also tried to avoid those mb using VIA chipset. Always need to update new bios.
    MSI likes to use VIA. That's one of the reasons I dun like MSI.

I also tried to avoid those mb using VIA chipset. Always need to update new bios.
    MSI likes to use VIA. That's one of the reasons I dun like MSI.
    MSI Via chipset mobos may have some problem. But i bought the Intel 975x chipset one. I've encountered tons of problems with Gigabyte mobos, and the best so far are Asus and MSI.

Both of them has gave me equal problems but minimal problems so far of all the brands of mobos I've used.

U'll know the difference when u're working in that line

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    any particular chipset i should be looking at?
    Not sure if you mean chipset or processor. Chipset, as the report mentioned, stick with the 975. Processor, as always get the most fastest one you can afford - software around the corner will always help you use up the spare speed !!

Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away.

If you have any interest, and I doubt you do, I'll be going for the
    E6600 and P5W DH Del,
    4x1Gb,
    74GB Raptor for the operating system & programs
    mid-range card like the ATI X1800GTO or X1900XT for the odd occassion a game comes my way...

Should cost about 2.2k and last a few years before any need for an upgrade.

Will add a different processor fan once I see the Zalman or Thermaltake compatability charts out for that motherboard... Maybe upgrade from 17 inch to 24 inch widescreen at Xmas.

mmmmmm...shiiiinyyyyy

Drifting off topic (again) but is COMEX any good? I notice it's 31 Aug - 3rd Sep. Anyone had good deals there before? Photoshop software, PC hardware etc? Better to go for deals at the end or no difference?
    Last edited by Robbo73; 16th August 2006 at 07:59 PM.
    Robbo

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo73
    Not sure if you mean chipset or processor. Chipset, as the report mentioned, stick with the 975. Processor, as always get the most fastest one you can afford - software around the corner will always help you use up the spare speed !!

E6600 and P5W DH Del,
    4x1Gb,
    mid-range card like the ATI X1800GTO or X1900XT for the odd occassion a game comes my way...

Will add a different processor fan once I see the Zalman or Thermaltake compatability charts out for that motherboard... Maybe upgrade from 17 inch to 24 inch widescreen at Xmas.

mmmmmm...shiiiinyyyyy

Drifting off topic (again) but is COMEX any good? I notice it's 31 Aug - 3rd Sep. Anyone had good deals there before? Photoshop software, PC hardware etc? Better to go for deals at the end or no difference?
    For hardware, I'll advise going to Sim Lim for ur purchases. The prices are more or less the same, and if u do get the cheapest price for the parts, its only the cost for your cab ride home.

Software however, you can try your luck at comex, if they do have a booth for softwares.

For hardware, I'll advise going to Sim Lim for ur purchases. The prices are more or less the same, and if u do get the cheapest price for the parts, its only the cost for your cab ride home.

Software however, you can try your luck at comex, if they do have a booth for softwares.
    Thanks for that - will stick to Fuwell for my hardware then (prefer the less busy Funan store personally) and keep an eye out for decent raw conversion software, Elements or CS2 if I can justify the need for the extra functionality...
    Robbo

Thanks for that - will stick to Fuwell for my hardware then (prefer the less busy Funan store personally) and keep an eye out for decent raw conversion software, Elements or CS2 if I can justify the need for the extra functionality...
    Fuwell and Cybermind are my favorite shops for hardware. Fuwell because I trust the way they handle hardware, and Cybermind, because I have friends there and can actually reserve newly launched hardware.

I'm a hardware hobbylist too, but spent alittle too much on my camera and lenses cos of the virus. Hopefully I can recover soon and visit Sim Lim again. Really itching on the conroe .

Fuwell and Cybermind are my favorite shops for hardware. Fuwell because I trust the way they handle hardware, and Cybermind, because I have friends there and can actually reserve newly launched hardware.

I'm a hardware hobbylist too, but spent alittle too much on my camera and lenses cos of the virus. Hopefully I can recover soon and visit Sim Lim again. Really itching on the conroe .
    For software, I think you should try and see if you really need the functions. I'm using CS2 though, coz I'm used to it. May switch to Nikon Capture NX if its really good .

E6600 and P5W DH Del,
    4x1Gb,

mmmmmm...shiiiinyyyyy

Yeah that was my initial setup but NO ATI.............Nvidia is still better. I will actually get 2 X 74 Raptors (May go RAID 0), 4 x 1GB rams, 6600 to match with P5W, Antec PSU, May get a second cooling fan. Casing may go for Thermaltake or Antec........see which one is cheaper....hehe. Yes pricing is aroung $2K plus.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Yeah that was my initial setup but NO ATI.............Nvidia is still better. I will actually get 2 X 74 Raptors (May go RAID 0), 4 x 1GB rams, 6600 to match with P5W, Antec PSU, May get a second cooling fan. Casing may go for Thermaltake or Antec........see which one is cheaper....hehe. Yes pricing is aroung $2K plus.....
    Check out the hardware forums on the Antec PSU before you buy it. The last time when I attempted SLI with my A64, my Antec gave me problems. Then I gotta buy my current OCZ PSU.

Intel 955x onwards mobo officially supports ATI crossfire, but not yet Nvidia's SLI, do consider that if you do have plans for an additional card.

Check out the hardware forums on the Antec PSU before you buy it. The last time when I attempted SLI with my A64, my Antec gave me problems. Then I gotta buy my current OCZ PSU.

Intel 955x onwards mobo officially supports ATI crossfire, but not yet Nvidia's SLI, do consider that if you do have plans for an additional card.
    Will look into that. May go for a higher PSU which i need to pre order from Cybermind. My friend just bought a 1100W PSU from them. That should not have problems running SLI.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast