Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrights

Default Re: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrights

It is interesting how Mr Brown was held to a higher level of accountability when he wrote that column in the Today paper vs his usual views in his blog, yet a newspaper itself cannot keep to that standard. Interesting hor?

Smile Re: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrights

as a result of the column, the paper(being mainstream as claimed) was pressured to take action.

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    It is interesting how Mr Brown was held to a higher level of accountability when he wrote that column in the Today paper vs his usual views in his blog, yet a newspaper itself cannot keep to that standard. Interesting hor?

Default Re: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrig

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    It is not interesting.......it is sad..........

HS

Default Re: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrig

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    We are sending a letter in to The Straits Times which has been crafted in part by a lawyer., expressing our displeasure at the infringement of the Copyright Act
    We would like to request the signing of this letter if you feel that this infringement of the Copyright Act reflects poorly on The Straits Times, the leading newspaper in Singapore.

why not just sue straits time????
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives
    sue SPH u mean?

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives
    The last time I know when someone tried, he didn't even get to keep his peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    The last time I know when someone tried, he didn't even get to keep his peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    this is a good one
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

how's the outcome so far?
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

Please refer to the earlier thread, plus specifically this reply
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=152

good job.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Smile Re: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrig

i am wondering if ST did comply with your request as defined in your petition.

That's it? Sorry only? I thought sorry also must explain?!

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i am wondering if ST did comply with your request as defined in your petition.
    eh.... how can like that de... the reply is not professional!!

They didnt even bother to go about the usual PR thingy/message, those cheesy, feel-good kinda message.

To think that they demand copyrights for their published materials, and yet treat other authors' work with blatant disregard. How sad.

Default Re: Letter to The Straits Times expressing Displeasure at the Infringement of Copyrights

I think the matter should rest. What Sumiko said was in a way correct, and please any half blind fellow can see that it was meant as a visual effect. To use different images, colour treat it and then present as montage.

Constant protesting and whining over this is only making everyone look really silly. If someone takes your pic and sell it as his or her own, or the pic is used in front page news and is sold to other papers then fine sue all you want. But something that is an honest mistake, ST already apologise, what more you want? A full page apology? A 100 table banquet to offer sorry to all petition signers?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    I think the matter should rest. What Sumiko said was in a way correct, and please any half blind fellow can see that it was meant as a visual effect. To use different images, colour treat it and then present as montage.

Constant protesting and whining over this is only making everyone look really silly. If someone takes your pic and sell it as his or her own, or the pic is used in front page news and is sold to other papers then fine sue all you want. But something that is an honest mistake, ST already apologise, what more you want? A full page apology? A 100 table banquet to offer sorry to all petition signers?
    this was used on the front page. And are you saying a visual effect is of no value? So taking photos for visual effects basically makes it alright to disregard copyrights?

Our request for an apology is written in the petition. Please read it before posting.

And no, it is not an "honest mistake" for a newspaper which is well familiar with copyrights and has a team of lawyers to disregard copyrights.

this was used on the front page. And are you saying a visual effect is of no value? So taking photos for visual effects basically makes it alright to disregard copyrights?

Our request for an apology is written in the petition. Please read it before posting.

And no, it is not an "honest mistake" for a newspaper which is well familiar with copyrights and has a team of lawyers to disregard copyrights.

Dude I have been following your post...... And frankly I am not shy to say that it is a case of making a mountain over a molehill..... However if it makes your ego bigger that ST says sorry than fine... but what I am saying is what more you want? Compensation?

be a bit big hearted and live and let live, you have gotten an apology from editor and reporter and you still want to whine about ST being big company etc got lawyer etc... please lah.... everything also want to pick and pick... the issue will never end.

the problem is that we are in the less critical front to protest. i feel that if the bloggers are not in the forefront of this petition, our ground will not be strong.

and honestly speaking, many photographers become very defensive and views only from the perspective of a photographer and not from an ordinary individual, and that mentality need to be moderated when voicing out to the large majority of the public who are not photographers.

p.s. i'm one of those who signed in the petition and expect a newspaper not to proceed with ignoring of copyrights of pictures posted online, esp in a derogatory manner like this time. however i'm not for any emotional strong-headed front which i feel is not healthy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast