Thread: 1st digicam: budget canon A40 or versatile Fuji S602z

Default 1st digicam: budget canon A40 or versatile Fuji S602z

1st digicam: budget A40 or versatile S602z
    With a 1K budget (not including accessories) and a burning desire to learn digital photography (therefore must have manual settings), and to take good closeups, portraits, candid, unposed shots of locals during travels. (good zoom helpful, fast autofocus)

Therefore for complete starter, shld I spend $380 on the A40, learn all that I can first on digital photography and then upgrade later....

Or shld I just exhaust my budget for the S602z... is this camera too much for a newbie?

I have spent 2 months researching, on foot and on the net and my choices rest on these 2 cameras. I know it is hard to compare these 2 camera but wht shld a newbie's first digicam be?

Oh yeah, I have the Mustek 1.3MP digicam!!! Got it as a present, hook on digital photography since...

Seems like a tough comparison, the A40 and the 602Z, but both are certainly very good cameras in their respective categories.

By newbie, do you mean newbie to photography, or new to digital photography. Because if you have been using cameras on and off (particularly SLR), then you may not have any difficulties picking up the A40 straight away, and will easily overcome the 602Z as well.

Go for the A40 if price is a big concern, because the difference in budget is considerable. It will also allow you to print 4R, 5R, 6R with absolutely no problem.

If you are already comfy with photography, then i suggest you plunge in for the 602Z.

Default Re: 1st digicam: budget canon A40 or versatile Fuji S602z

Originally posted by hentaitic
    1st digicam: budget A40 or versatile S602z
    With a 1K budget (not including accessories) and a burning desire to learn digital photography (therefore must have manual settings), and to take good closeups, portraits, candid, unposed shots of locals during travels. (good zoom helpful, fast autofocus)

Therefore for complete starter, shld I spend $380 on the A40, learn all that I can first on digital photography and then upgrade later....

Or shld I just exhaust my budget for the S602z... is this camera too much for a newbie?

I have spent 2 months researching, on foot and on the net and my choices rest on these 2 cameras. I know it is hard to compare these 2 camera but wht shld a newbie's first digicam be?

Oh yeah, I have the Mustek 1.3MP digicam!!! Got it as a present, hook on digital photography since...
    Since you're hooked into photography & u have plans to use the camera for a long time, i suggest u get the 602 instead of A40. U'll be able to "grow" with ur camera.

U won't get "bored" with ur A40, tht fast as ur skills becomes better. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the A40 has a lot of limitations. A few of A40 users tht i know have plans to upgrade due to the cam's limitation.

U can upgrade "reuse" the accesories in 602 due to the bigger thread size of the 602 after installing the adapter which will save u in future upgrades.

These were part of my thoughts when i was planning to get my first camera, Dimage 5.

In the end of the day, it's still up to u

eh roon, you from JB? I also from JB.. You working in Spore?

would you be one who tends to upgrade to better cameras/equipment?

if I include all the losses from selling prior digicams into the price of the S602Z I have now, I would have spent over $2000 Would definitely save if I've gotten the 602Z directly (it wasn't available though when I first ventured into the digicam scene but cameras like Olympus E10 was there). If I include the losses from selling accessories, I would have spent more than $2.5k liao
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

But you see, this guy is newbie, so he may not stick with photography after all, so as a new entry, and not spend too much, perhaps a cheaper camera for starters is OK.

The price difference between the 2 is very substantial, at least 500-600 dollars difference.

yup. it really depends on the character many of us have gone down expensive paths by upgrading and upgrading definitely hard to predict 2 years earlier that I would be using a camera as big as the 602Z
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by fruitybix
    eh roon, you from JB? I also from JB.. You working in Spore?
    Yupz, I'm from JB. Nope not working in Spore. Full time student.... tht's y no $$$ to upgrade cam....

Anyway, nice meeting u here

Whoa! thanks guys for answering my queries... it's been close to one month since I posted that question.

I gotten the Canon A40 just 2 days ago. Need a camera for CNY. I know with PMA jus around the corner there would definitely be new digicam coming out.

So that is why I got the A40. Intend to give it to my sister in Msia after CNY as she has always wanted a digicam (The A40 selling for RM888 in Msia).

Then again I so love the compactness and versatility of the A40 tt I might change my mind. He He He!!!

i also at first condiser the a40 for the compact and manual functions too

but in the end i got a more automatic P&S with limited manual Fuji 2800z but is got a x6 optical
    which wins over A40

size is around the same as a40 but a40 wins over the functions and can addon filters too

and its depend on u
    will u venture more into photography?
    or just P&S

as i long time already got my very own manual Kodak camera since i was early secondary sch lor
    but i was a newbiew time too so as now too
    still learning
    took a few break and come back to photography too dunno why i dont give up competely maybe in my heart i got the liking to take pics too ehhe

tat why now i making one more major turn i will be getting a digicam with more manual functions like 602z or G3

as lastime i also own a SLR manual too but dont have CS tat time to learn from u ppls but now i got so it u can say it spark off some interested back again with more fellow photograhers to learn from each others as my time is no PC no internet and sch time no on is in Photography tat time only into skatebroad and music heheh
    POP era
    ehhe

so decide whether u want to go to which road more in depth or
    just P&S first then go in depth later

i also go through this stages too
    ehee

good choice to get the A40 first.
    the A40 was my first digital camera too, and i must say its manual controls are very simple to use for newbies. do spend some time to explore this camera as the more you practice, the much better you'll get.
    i spent about 4 months with my a40, gained some experience, and now i've upgraded to a 602z.

ya get the a40 first if u dont plan to spend soo much first and
    it got all the addon like full manual cam got like adding on lens/fitlers
    which will help u learn and got manull functions too

after u think u overgrowth to a40 and plan to get a better one a 602z will be your choice i guess tat time will have a 603z ehee

Originally posted by pker88
    ya get the a40 first if u dont plan to spend soo much first and
    it got all the addon like full manual cam got like adding on lens/fitlers
    which will help u learn and got manull functions too

after u think u overgrowth to a40 and plan to get a better one a 602z will be your choice i guess tat time will have a 603z ehee
    Saw the announcement today, so u may be right about the S603z after all.(comes with the 4th generation fujiflim superCCD SR)???

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03...superccdsr.asp
    Last edited by hentaitic; 23rd January 2003 at 10:52 AM.

hehe we all hope too a sec version of 602z?
    but wont be soo soon lor
    since 602z is relased last year only
    and canon G3 is also quite new too
    looking forward to G4 ahaha