Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: star-trails

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore, near NUS
    Posts
    398

    Default star-trails

    Hi guys,

    What film-speed and f-stop should one use to capture star-trails?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: star-trails

    Quote Originally Posted by toasty
    Hi guys,

    What film-speed and f-stop should one use to capture star-trails?
    ASA100 and f/22, 3 hours or more...

    It is better if you have manual camera. Remove the battery first to avoid drainage for 3 hours (and also the possibility LED leakage if your camera use LED for metering).

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #3
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: star-trails

    do a search..i've posted up some links before..but i shall be nice and post them again:

    http://www.danheller.com/star-trails.html
    http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTRO...0601/I0601.HTM
    http://www.weather-photography.com/t...age=startrails

    Or you can read up some info here
    eat. drink. shoot

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore, near NUS
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: star-trails

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    do a search..i've posted up some links before..but i shall be nice and post them again:

    http://www.danheller.com/star-trails.html
    http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTRO...0601/I0601.HTM
    http://www.weather-photography.com/t...age=startrails

    Or you can read up some info here
    Thanks for the info!

  5. #5
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: star-trails

    Quote Originally Posted by toasty
    Hi guys,

    What film-speed and f-stop should one use to capture star-trails?
    Hi there,

    Maybe you can check out some of the links as posted here in this thread.

    Just wondering, are you going overseas to take star trails or doing it in Singapore?
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore, near NUS
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: star-trails

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Hi there,

    Maybe you can check out some of the links as posted here in this thread.

    Just wondering, are you going overseas to take star trails or doing it in Singapore?
    Hi Francis, thanks for that link. I just recently got back from Layang Layang, and the night sky was really great there, there's no city nearby. I thought about trying to shoot some star-trails there, but I want to try with film (and I only had my digital camera, and no tripod). I've got another trip to Bali coming up, and I hope the night view will be as good there. I plan to bring my tripod and film camera and try to shoot the stars.

  7. #7
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: star-trails

    Quote Originally Posted by toasty
    Hi Francis, thanks for that link. I just recently got back from Layang Layang, and the night sky was really great there, there's no city nearby. I thought about trying to shoot some star-trails there, but I want to try with film (and I only had my digital camera, and no tripod). I've got another trip to Bali coming up, and I hope the night view will be as good there. I plan to bring my tripod and film camera and try to shoot the stars.
    Hi there,

    Welcome. I think going overseas will be a better idea. I tried Star trails taking in Singapore. Small aperture may not be too good as the sky in Singapore is too bright and the stars are not bright enough, so the small aperture despite can let you open the shutter longer but may not be able to capture the stars well.

    Here are some of my star trails attempt.
    http://www.nikonuser.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033
    http://www.nikonuser.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1096
    http://www.nikonuser.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1100
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •