Thread: online auctions - yahoo and ebay

Default online auctions - yahoo and ebay

Hi guys,

I am starting this thread to learn something about how to sell things online.

anyone share tips about yahoo auctions and ebay?

For ebay, it seems you have to deal with Paypal, and the seller has to pay Paypal certain percentage for every deal. It is true right? so you have to consider to mark up your price to absorb the paypal charge.

I then try to go another option, yahoo. It seems people trade by transfering fund to bank account, or meet up locally in singapore, for fast deal.

I register an account, but i was asked for credit card information. Is it a must that we have to share credit card information for yahoo so called identity verification? what if i want to hold two account to sell different kind of stuff? can same credit card number to be used for another account?

It seems a lot of things to learn for internet auctions..

Default Re: online auctions - yahoo and ebay

It's unusual for yahoo auction to ask for credit card number unless you're selling stuff there. Normally they only need your yahoo id.

You should be aware that auction goods are not always cheaper and some of them are even more expensive then the market place. Then there's issue of security. Though ebay have fraud protection still when you're money's gone it's gone. My tips: (1) look for sellers/buyers with ratings like 95%+. (2) only deal through paypal in ebay. You are at risk in yahoo though. I got cheated once by a yahoo auction seller and she's from singapore too. I paid full and she said the stuff had been sold by her sister but she never refunded me . (3) Don't deal with people from Africa, China, or Indonesia or other developing nations (but you cannot dismiss developed-nations' fraudsters either - again refer to point tips 1)

In the end, bear in mind that trading in ebay and yahoo auctions is caveat emptor. If not sure, ask impartial opinions from others. Like me, I asked people from clubsnap's opinions about buying a usd999 d200 and they all said no don't buy. They were right! Thanks to fellow clubsnappers

You don't have to offer/use Paypal to sell on eBay but many buyers (including myself) will not even consider an item that can't be paid for by Paypal (even if at the end another method is used, the Paypal option is very highly regarded).

With anything other then Paypal (or similar services, including reputable Escrow services) there is risk for both buyer and seller - even with direct deposit which can be reveresed after the credit has taken place.

Sure Paypal charges a fee, but it increases your market of interested buyers. Yes you can put that into your price, but you may be competing with others who choose to take a lower margin - demand/supply will determine the price.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Personally i prefer yahoo auctions thou yahoo is not responsible for any cheating cases... but to me the sellers there r much more warm and realli deals efficiently =)

i have bought camera and parts from ebay US, and ship to singapore and my friend in US to bring it back. But anyway, if i have to pay US$999 item i may think twice. I deal usually US$100 item.

I guess online trading is like real trading, that you may get conman and good deal, all base on your experience.

I just want to learn to earn $, getting a day job somehow doesn't make me feel i am able to survive in this world ha.

I like yahoo auction singapore too, i always meet up the sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    i have bought camera and parts from ebay US, and ship to singapore and my friend in US to bring it back. But anyway, if i have to pay US$999 item i may think twice. I deal usually US$100 item.

I guess online trading is like real trading, that you may get conman and good deal, all base on your experience.

I just want to learn to earn $, getting a day job somehow doesn't make me feel i am able to survive in this world ha.

I like yahoo auction singapore too, i always meet up the sellers.
    Then ey v frendly 1 =) Coz i am one of them ?

Yahoo Auctions only need your Credit Card or Debit Card no. for verification purposes and for recording sake.

They will not release your Card information in any point of your trading.

It is only a one time procedure. I have been on Yahoo Auctions SG for more than 2 years. Yet to have anything lost in post/mail or any bad buyers. So far so good. There is a a rating system to keep a track record of all after-sales transaction.