Thread: Cold Country - Newbie

Default Cold Country - Newbie

Heya all, I am thinking of getting my first DSLR in a few weeks time and I just want to ask questions on how to care for these delicate equipments especially in weather like in Switzerland? The cold can be very troublesome sometimes and dont even talk about the snow. How can I keep these equipments in a top condition? Must I use a dry box and if there are another ways to keep them safe?

I am thinking of getting a Nikon D70 or maybe the new rumour to be D80 if it exist? The problem is I like to shoot in the night and would like to ask opinion on which camera would be better than Nikon to perfom nigth shoot.

Thanks and keep them coming.
    Last edited by Alberth; 1st August 2006 at 10:19 PM.

Deregistered

Default Re: Cold Country - Newbie

D80 coming on national day....

After staying in New York and Chicago for almost 10 years, I think I am qualified enough to give you some suggestions.

In cold countries, you don't really need a dry cabinet. The weather in there is dry enough (at approximately 50~40% RH). However, you do need a dry and cool place to store your photographic equipment properly.

Also, beware of static electricity during cold seasons. Static can "kill" your memory card.

When photographing outdoor in cold weather, wrap your camera and lens under a fleece jacket. This will keep it warm and minimise exposure to moisture. Condensation on lens can be a problem.

Carry extra batteries with you whenever you go on vacation. Cold weather will decrease your battery's lifespan by 1/4.
    Last edited by photobum; 2nd August 2006 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberth
    Heya all, I am thinking of getting my first DSLR in a few weeks time and I just want to ask questions on how to care for these delicate equipments especially in weather like in Switzerland? The cold can be very troublesome sometimes and dont even talk about the snow. How can I keep these equipments in a top condition? Must I use a dry box and if there are another ways to keep them safe?

I am thinking of getting a Nikon D70 or maybe the new rumour to be D80 if it exist? The problem is I like to shoot in the night and would like to ask opinion on which camera would be better than Nikon to perfom nigth shoot.

Thanks and keep them coming.
    my experience in cold places down to -5C is that
    1. handling becomes an issue.
    2. condensation is a big headache

get a camera that fits your handling and hand size. get some good gloves that allow you to have very thin contact at the finger tips or even expose it when desired.

do always remember that warm water vapor condenses on cold surfaces and that will smog up your filter or even your lens anterior element if exposed when you bring the cold camera from outside into a warmer interior. so you got to allow the camera to adapt to the new environment temperature before you open up the filter/lens cap. if you open up earlier than expected, then you got to wait for the condensation to disappear..... and there goes the moments.....