Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why can't i get a sharp edge?

Default Re: why can't i get a sharp edge?

looks more like a digitally created coke can to me...

Quote Originally Posted by alexj
    my guess is its just the nature of the reflective metallic can. since the dictionary is just beside, have a quick shot of it and see if u cant get a sharp edge.

edit: if that's the case, you might want to isolate the sides of the coke can relative to your image and spray with a dulling agent; something like hair spray would do okay. remember to cover your lens and similar optics nearby. the other way is to kill some degree of light hitting the sides.
    here is the pic of the dictionary

more experimenting, and I think I have a conclusion. I removed the black paper from the right side. I re-took original set up at f5, 1/60 with greater subject distance, further distance from back wall, up contrast to +2, up saturation to +2. Included is 100% crop

I think haziness is from reflection of background. I tried dark blue bottle next...

u can see the grey reflection better on this blue bottle!

you can see the table lamp, built-in flash, and slave reflections.

So I conclude it is the background reflection, and not poor performance of sensor and optics?

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by alexj
    my guess is its just the nature of the reflective metallic can. since the dictionary is just beside, have a quick shot of it and see if u cant get a sharp edge.

edit: if that's the case, you might want to isolate the sides of the coke can relative to your image and spray with a dulling agent; something like hair spray would do okay. remember to cover your lens and similar optics nearby. the other way is to kill some degree of light hitting the sides.
    alexj - i couldn't get hairspray to try

chunger - i have not ventured into photoshop yet (don't have it anyway). No editing in the above pics except cropping and resizing. I hope to let the camera do most of the work. basic editing with Canon software that came with S3IS.

Quote Originally Posted by MooneyedWileECoyote
    ........how come I can't get sharp edges on the can?
    Can anyone advise?
    i was thinking it was mainly due to contrast...
    i took ur pic and did a bit of pp to see what caused the softening edges.
    and this is what i got, i hope u dun mind me taking the pic.

i think the edges look better... whats ur opinion? sorry, resizing is due to webhost.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Zaknafein:- no problem to pp my pic... much appreciated actually yes, it looks better. But I hope to learn what causes such effects, and avoid them, so that I spend less time on pp.

I guess I have to quickly start learning digital darkroom techniques, otherwise never know how to correct "errors". more sleepless nights

by the way, what did you do to the pic?
    Last edited by MooneyedWileECoyote; 4th August 2006 at 08:49 AM.

just up the contrast and sharpen the edges....
    1 min job for this pic, but the effect it gives is quite different
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12