Thread: Canon 300D still a good buy?

Default Canon 300D still a good buy?

Tempted to go back to photography after giving it up since the enlistment of Army. Keen on getting a decent yet good DSLR to start with. Was wondering does 300D suits me? Any comments from you guys?

I've D70 and D50 on my mind too but it seems to be out of budget for me as i'm still studying after Army.

Please advise.

Dennis.
    Last edited by versatile; 31st July 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Deregistered

Default Re: Canon 300D still a good buy?

Nope

get the 350D....IIRC its aroun 1.5k

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1
    Nope

get the 350D....IIRC its aroun 1.5k
    Hi,

350D is out of my budget.

I wish i could afford it tho!

maybe u advise us on wats ur budget?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    maybe u advise us on wats ur budget?
    Saw some 300D's threads on Buy/Selling section. Most sellers asking was $700 and above.
    So my budget should be around $600 to $800.

If can get it cheap, then it would be a bonus. $800 max budget for a old and out of warrany DSLR isn't cheap IMO.

But worth getting IMO since i'd love to get hold of a DSLR. After looking at most review sites, 300D still considered one of the best?

Please advise.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by versatile
    Saw some 300D's threads on Buy/Selling section. Most sellers asking was $700 and above.
    So my budget should be around $600 to $800.

If can get it cheap, then it would be a bonus. $800 max budget for a old and out of warrany DSLR isn't cheap IMO.

But worth getting IMO since i'd love to get hold of a DSLR. After looking at most review sites, 300D still considered one of the best?

Please advise.
    err...what about a second hand d70s?

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1
    err...what about a second hand d70s?
    D70s still considered expensive for me.. call me poor.

If you can squeeze a little bit more dough, you may be able to get D70 b/w $800-900 I think.

Harvey Norman has interest free installment service.. maybe u want to consider.

u might want to think of the lens which are going in.......bodies are consider cheap...the lens are the killers..

Lightbulb Re: Canon 300D still a good buy?

Hi versatile,

What suits you only you will know. Go have a feel of the different brands and models offered in the market before jumping in. Visit any reputable shops and hold the cameras to have a feel of each and everyone you are interested in. As advised by our big brother, you may want to consider the cost of the lens and other stuff cos once you jumped in the BBB virus will stick to you. You may want to consider other brands like Pentax, Konica Minolta and others as well. Although Nikon and Canon are the main market players now, but the other brands also offer decent and good DSLRs.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Since u are on budget, I will think a 300D will suffice.. Like what alot of ppl here will advice you, get the 350D or D70s, but I believe u will have done so already if your budget is sufficient. I saw alot of ppl taking very gd photos with the 300D too.. What if the camera is abit old? As long as the set that u are getting is in good condition(most CSers take very gdcare of their gears, so dun need to worry). Most importantly is to enjoy photography without burning too big a hole in ur pocket..
    Last edited by aaron80; 1st August 2006 at 09:20 AM.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Sometimes the price matter especially under tight budget.

But handling is another issue. No point buying a cheaper camera but you're not going to enjoy using it due to some unforseen reasons. So better go and check it out 1st before taking the plunge.

300d is definate worth the money. an introduction to dslr

I would recommend the 300D (Apply the Hack, it's will unlease the potential of the 300D) or a used 10D. The 10D has a bigger buffer, more features and functions. The scrollwheel aids in navigation, better than the 4 way buttons.

a used 10D body + grip is about $800-$900. If you dont need the grip, you can sell it off.

Or get a 2nd hand D50 or KM 5D. Nikon and Minolta have got better lens selection than Pentax, Olympus (not saying that they dont have good lens but selection choice limited).

Flash wise, Canon, Nikon do have excellent flash systems.

Narrow down to 300D, 10D, D50 and 5D. haha! actually it's already 3 more options than your original choice.

If i had the budget for a used 300D, i would rather get a used 10D.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    I would recommend the 300D (Apply the Hack, it's will unlease the potential of the 300D) or a used 10D. The 10D has a bigger buffer, more features and functions. The scrollwheel aids in navigation, better than the 4 way buttons.

a used 10D body + grip is about $800-$900. If you dont need the grip, you can sell it off.

Or get a 2nd hand D50 or KM 5D. Nikon and Minolta have got better lens selection than Pentax, Olympus (not saying that they dont have good lens but selection choice limited).

Narrow down to 300D, 10D, D50 and 5D. haha! actually it's already 3 more options than your original choice.

Hi Versatile,

You can read up on the cameras recommended by Davsmiths and do a comparison and feel the cameras before deciding. Each camera has its own advantage. Get the one that suits you best.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths

Where can i get the official Russian's hack?

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor
    Hi Versatile,

You can read up on the cameras recommended by Davsmiths and do a comparison and feel the cameras before deciding. Each camera has its own advantage. Get the one that suits you best.
    Yup, i saw the latest preview from DPreview on 300D. It was Highy Recommended.. i guess it's still worth the money. Might be getting it this coming weekend.

This is the deal.

Description:
    Canon EOS 300D for sale

Comes with:
    18-55mm kit lens
    Canon neck strap
    3 batteries:
    Two third party batteries in addition to one original battery
    Battery charger
    Data cable
    256mb CF card

Worth it?