Thread: HDD Woes... help!

Default HDD Woes... help!

I have a bit of a dilemma... I recently bought a new 300gig Maxtor HDD for my Media Centre PC that is also used for all my photos. Just recently it has started "clicking" on the odd occasion - a sign that it is about to die on me. I checked the temperature and it is sitting between 55-60 deg celcius.

I have backed everything up so the only loss (worse case) is time of rebuilding but I am wondering if i try and take some precautionary measures:
    1. I have since found out that Maxtors run quite hot - so do I go and buy another brand (Seagate mayve?).
    2. Or could it be that my previous HDD was under the same stress and just didn't click or show signs of running that hot? Should I look to get a new case? I have an AOpen Small Form Factor PC.
    3. Or dp I just wait for it to die?

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: HDD Woes... help!

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat
    I have a bit of a dilemma... I recently bought a new 300gig Maxtor HDD for my Media Centre PC that is also used for all my photos. Just recently it has started "clicking" on the odd occasion - a sign that it is about to die on me. I checked the temperature and it is sitting between 55-60 deg celcius.

I have backed everything up so the only loss (worse case) is time of rebuilding but I am wondering if i try and take some precautionary measures:
    1. I have since found out that Maxtors run quite hot - so do I go and buy another brand (Seagate mayve?).
    2. Or could it be that my previous HDD was under the same stress and just didn't click or show signs of running that hot? Should I look to get a new case? I have an AOpen Small Form Factor PC.

Thanks for any advice.
    have u tried removing the case and blowing a fan onto the HDD and see if it helps? maybe the flow of air in ur casing is not good enough?
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

I am not sure about Maxtor, but for Hitachi that I use, they have a software that can configure between the performance and accoustic level and temperature monitoring like the feature tool v2.01

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat

Thanks for any advice.
    1. All current hard disk are almost equally hot since all are running at 7200rpm. If you want a cooler hard disk, get those 5400rpm one (hopefully you can find shop that sell new one).
    2. For SFF PC, cooling is very important. The air flow should be good in order to keep the component inside from failure due to heat. The main heat generator is the CPU, hard disk & add-on graphic card and the temperature within the casing can reach around 70 degree. I generally do not advice people to get the SFF type unless it operate in an air-con environment.

If your PC is still under warranty, get them to replace the hard disk. As for the casing, check if the airflow is good. You can consider gettting a better quality casing if you decide to replace your current one.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

My 100gb Maxtor, I'm kinda worried about overheating. Worse, I think something inside it is loose. Can hear this thing moving about if I tilt it.