Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filters?

Default Re: Filters?

Quote Originally Posted by match80
    Is it really necessary for a polarizing filter for newbies? And what do you guys normally use for "red eyes" effect?
    you don use filter for red eyes... you use flash. to minimise or prevent red eye, set ur camera flash mode to red eye and try to use external instead of built-in flash. better still place your flash away from the direction the person is looking at

if i use the filters, do i still need to use the lens hood??? or i haf to use both?? can advise?? thxs

Always use your hood is a good rule of thumb... if you are using your hood you COULD get away without the filter but not the other way around. If you don't keep your filter clean or with cheaper filters (apparently), flare can be made worse which the hood will help reduce.

- Your hood (if it's a deep one) will help protect the front element and reduce flare
    - A UV/protecting filter will only help to protect a front element (from surface scratches/marks etc)

If you are looking at ND grads etc then you can't but I assume you are referring to screw on type (UV, C-PL etc)?
    Last edited by Robbo73; 13th August 2006 at 06:14 PM.
    Robbo

hrm so am i right to say that if i get the lens hood, i need not use the filters?? Or is it a must to use both @ one go??

Simple answer most people use both. Why?

UV Filter: Can prevent your fingers/other objects from touching the front element. It should also cut down a little bit of haze.
    Hood: Mostly to prevent lights coming from other directions from coming into the lens. And becuase it sticks out, it will also to some extent prevent foreign objects from touching the front element (but UV filter is the only sure-fire means).

For me, I will never remove the lens cap unless there is a UV filter in front. Some people prefer to use Skylight 1A/1B that is essentially an UV with a very slight warming (yellowish) effect (difference between 1A and 1B is the strenght of the warming effect).

Quote Originally Posted by doink24
    hrm so am i right to say that if i get the lens hood, i need not use the filters?? Or is it a must to use both @ one go??
    Better use both.

Lens hood prevent flare by avoiding strong light enter your lens. Good multi coated (and clean) filter will not given you much flare problem in the case strong light enter your lens.

And, filter also useful for lens protection. So does the lens hood.

Regards,
    Arto.

Depends lah, if you have a very expensive lens, one would consider putting a NC or B&W UV filter to protect the front element, for super wide angle a slim one is necessary to prevent vignets. If you are using a sub <$400 lens don't even bother to put on a "protective" filter.

No point buying an expensive filter to protect the front element of a cheap lens as those good filters cost almost 1/4 of the lens already.

At the same time also, no point buying cheap Hoya's as they will degrade your image quality, it's like someone here ever said before, you have a car with good expensive leather seats and you place a crappy t-shirt over it to protect the leather seat but don't feel comfortable when you skin rubs on the t-shirt when you could have felt the nice soft leather.

Same for image, the lens element are manufactured with better precision and quality than the cheap filter if you so decide to put cheap filter on and the end result yuo will ask... how come ah other peoples' image so much nicer than mine?

If image end result is very important, either don't use "protective filter" at all or use the very best only.

I am just talking about protective filter only, all other filters are a must have like Grad ND (landscapes), CPL(reflections, bluish sky), IR(special effects) etc... these filters serve a specific function and that is a different story altogether.

Would suggest that you use the lens hood all the time, as they are designed to prevent flaring, some lens flares more than others.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12