Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Price per performance L Lens

  1. #21

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by stjhie
    Oh, Ok, great insight guys. Just to open for discussion, What other L lenses, not caring about focal lengths, has IS and about a reasonable under S$1500
    maybe a second hand 300/f4 IS? a bit hard since its almost 2k new...


    I have a 70-200 f/4 and use it for my portrait work. If you dont need the IS and shoot mainly in good light stick to the f/4.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  2. #22

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    My 2c:-

    1. If you want sure hit tack sharp images, go for L.
    2. If you need to carry the lens for a long time, go for f4L unless you have good muscle endurance.
    3. If you want the very best performance including indoors even if it means carrying twice the weight of the lens plus a monopod if not a tripod, go for f2.8L
    4. If budget is constrained, go for 70-300, bring along a tripod, shoot with higher ISO, and take extra shots.

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    70-200 f2.8 L heavy meh?

    If really serious about this lens things such as weight is nothing compared to the picture quality from the lens...

  4. #24
    Member grimicer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    hi stj

    from your posts, it seem like you've decided on the f4 already.
    get it, it's great stuff !

  5. #25

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by westwest1
    70-200 f2.8 L heavy meh?

    If really serious about this lens things such as weight is nothing compared to the picture quality from the lens...
    Weight is important if you intend to use the lens for long periods of time. I have gone to the zoo for 4 hours with a 100-400 L IS and shot for almost 5 hours with a 70-200f/4. I can safely say that if the 100-400 dindt have IS i would have lost alot of shots due to handshake..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  6. #26
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,569

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    Weight is important if you intend to use the lens for long periods of time. I have gone to the zoo for 4 hours with a 100-400 L IS and shot for almost 5 hours with a 70-200f/4. I can safely say that if the 100-400 dindt have IS i would have lost alot of shots due to handshake..
    I think after taking up photography, the next logical interest should be body building... to be able to sustain holding a 3kg SLR with big lenses for long hours!!!

    Me is still struggling to cope with the weight since I am slim bulit....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,771

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    I think after taking up photography, the next logical interest should be body building... to be able to sustain holding a 3kg SLR with big lenses for long hours!!!
    hahah..great minds think alike!
    recently i really feel i m getting older and weaker and i have been jogging daily to build up stamina n hopefully go to gym to pack some more meat into my filmsy arms
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,569

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    hahah..great minds think alike!
    recently i really feel i m getting older and weaker and i have been jogging daily to build up stamina n hopefully go to gym to pack some more meat into my filmsy arms
    Filmsy arms..... hahaha... Then, me also very flimsy....

    Now, I am slowly moving up the weight factor of my set up.. slowly increasing the weight, and then, the weight of lens till I am ok with it, and then, move on... should get some dummy bells to train too!!

    I think Singaporean life style not healty enough.... should try to be more healthy..... need more excercises....
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 1st August 2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    Filmsy arms..... hahaha... Then, me also very flimsy....

    Now, I am slowly moving up the weight factor of my set up.. slowly increasing the weight, and then, the weight of lens till I am ok with it, and then, move on... should get some dummy bells to train too!!

    I think Singaporean life style not healty enough.... should try to be more healthy..... need more excercises....
    Perhaps the only reason why I'm thankful for the UFP in the army is that it comes with this bonus. Get stronger and it's way easier to deal with the weight. I've noticed a big difference after about 6 months.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    what's roughly the weight of the gear you guys bring on a walk around set and event set? including extra batteries, len(s), flash? Consider using your "L" lens as dumbells? haha

  11. #31

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by stjhie
    Oh, Ok, great insight guys. Just to open for discussion, What other L lenses, not caring about focal lengths, has IS and about a reasonable under S$1500
    Why not give a second hand 70-200/2.8L Non-IS a shot? A really solid performer and it's been appearing on BnS rapidly these couple of weeks at around 1.5k. It's 70-200 season now, so prices are down and consequently it's a good time to buy one. IMO, it whoops the butt of the 70-200/4L, which I upgraded from.

    To be fair, the colour and sharpness look the same, but the extra stop makes heck of a lot of difference shooting in low light and also the ability to shoot at f2.8 for thinner DOF is a real boon sometimes. Well worth the additional 500 you'd need to fork out IMO.

    IS is good, under certain circumstances, like low light static concerts or when using long telephotos like a 500 or 600mm, but for the most part it's overrated and can be done without. I'm really slim built as well(166, 52kg) but I've no problems using it for an extended period or getting off sharp images at 1/80 at 200mm. Just work on your technique and save the money you pay for the IS. If you really can't take it, get a monopod. Poor man's IS.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Haha. thx for your advice. What IMO and where is BnS? haha. noob ques i guess

  13. #33
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,569

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by stjhie
    what's roughly the weight of the gear you guys bring on a walk around set and event set? including extra batteries, len(s), flash? Consider using your "L" lens as dumbells? haha
    My set up very simple.... Lowepro AW 200 series sling bag.... ex 420, extention tube, 70-300mm, 28-105mm, 50mm, 35mm, batteries, filters..... tripod silku 6600 I think... around 5kg I think... 2 body... all battries loaded, since film do not eat so much batteries.... omni bounce... note pad and pen.... EOS 300X & 88.

    I got no L lens so no dumb bell to train with... maybe should follow army.. do SOC with your full pack (camera), holding your SLR and big lens!!! haha.......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    haha cool idea. looks abit like rifle too. and it can shoot

  15. #35

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by stjhie
    Haha. thx for your advice. What IMO and where is BnS? haha. noob ques i guess
    In my opinion and Buy and Sell respectively

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by PnS
    My 2c:-

    1. If you want sure hit tack sharp images, go for L.
    2. If you need to carry the lens for a long time, go for f4L unless you have good muscle endurance.
    3. If you want the very best performance including indoors even if it means carrying twice the weight of the lens plus a monopod if not a tripod, go for f2.8L
    4. If budget is constrained, go for 70-300, bring along a tripod, shoot with higher ISO, and take extra shots.
    Hmmm but the 70-300 IS is proven to be much sharper than the 70-200f4l. Nevermind that it costs the same..

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    oh.. 70-300mm IS Vs 70-200mm f/4. 70-200mm lose in sharpness? any links or reviews guyz?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    The sharpness can be subjective. My 70-200 is sharp enough for me and the fact that its internal zoom and focusing and has a ring USM helped make the decision for me.

    If you click on my flockr link in my sig and browse to my mutts and mittens set you can see what a 70-200 f/4 can do when wide open, f/4.5 or f/5.6.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  19. #39
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Why not give a second hand 70-200/2.8L Non-IS a shot? A really solid performer and it's been appearing on BnS rapidly these couple of weeks at around 1.5k. It's 70-200 season now, so prices are down and consequently it's a good time to buy one. IMO, it whoops the butt of the 70-200/4L, which I upgraded from.

    To be fair, the colour and sharpness look the same, but the extra stop makes heck of a lot of difference shooting in low light and also the ability to shoot at f2.8 for thinner DOF is a real boon sometimes. Well worth the additional 500 you'd need to fork out IMO.

    IS is good, under certain circumstances, like low light static concerts or when using long telephotos like a 500 or 600mm, but for the most part it's overrated and can be done without. I'm really slim built as well(166, 52kg) but I've no problems using it for an extended period or getting off sharp images at 1/80 at 200mm. Just work on your technique and save the money you pay for the IS. If you really can't take it, get a monopod. Poor man's IS.
    agreed...get the 70-200 non-IS...its a very good lens....worth the money....

  20. #40
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,569

    Default Re: Price per performance L Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    Hmmm but the 70-300 IS is proven to be much sharper than the 70-200f4l. Nevermind that it costs the same..
    I am eyeing on the 70-300mm IS.. but feel the bulit quality at that price is a bit weak.. 70-200mm is better, but short of 100mm, since I am film, FF, and was shooting sports....

    Like 70 - 300mm IS DO bulid quality, but too expensive...

    Ended up.. going to buy my 85mm f1.8... hahaha..
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •