Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are We Afraid of Negative Critique?

Default Re: Are We Afraid of Negative Critique?

Most people dont think out of the box once they see a bad critique on their work. Some just panic and worry that more people will come and bash the shot and give up instead of analysing what went wrong. Which involves them abandoning that project which is very sad to see.
    On the other hand, they are some idiots who try overly hard to prove the critique wrong but yet still make a fool of themselves. Cant they take a set back and look into what went wrong?

regarding criticism, can a newbie criticise a expert photographer?

bcos i am afraid of criticising some experienced photographers bcos i think i am not good enough and they will think "who do u think you are to say this and that!"

also, it is easier said than done and I better dun say negative things when I cannot even achieve his status,right?

what i criticise and people look at my portfolio, people will talk behind my back and say "Paul's photos so ugly, he cannot even shoot nicely, and he dares to criticise others!"

I better look at myself in the mirror first before I criticise others....

so most of the times, I will say from my personal feelings - what I like and dun like and dun criticise on the technical or artistic perspective as I am not good enough.

Better keep my mouth shut!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim
    Useless critiques like "i think this shot looks like scrape material stock photos" with no useful input as to how to improve the image
    How could it not be useful? it points out the shortcomings of the photo, and the photographer should (if he decide) reflect, understand what other perceive and not to repeat the mistake again. an honest comment is not useless.
    我吔呢班打工仔, 一生一世為錢幣做奴隸 flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Still lack the enlightenment beyond Stage 4.
    You need 1,000,000,000 more critique points to level up to Stage 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo

also, it is easier said than done and I better dun say negative things when I cannot even achieve his status,right?

what i criticise and people look at my portfolio, people will talk behind my back and say "Paul's photos so ugly, he cannot even shoot nicely, and he dares to criticise others!"

I better look at myself in the mirror first before I criticise others....

so most of the times, I will say from my personal feelings - what I like and dun like and dun criticise on the technical or artistic perspective as I am not good enough.

Better keep my mouth shut!
    Exactly what i am refering to. I can take comments from all over, from newbie to pro level. But comments such as the example above?

Hmmmm so it kinda boils down to taking negative critiques with a pinch of salt?

Would you comment a "useless comment" if you knew so well that you can't do better?
    Erm... no. Perhaps u are not really getting my point. Its not abt juz dismissing negative critiques with a 'bah humburg'. Everyone can do that easily, but criticisms burn into u like acid to flesh.

As we know, acid in vinegar smells really bad. But when u add it to Bak Chor Mee, it gives it the characteristic taste.

I'm not really sure how else to put across my thoughts. But meditate on the vinegar analogy and apply it to my words.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Good or bad critique, is better than no critique at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    You need 1,000,000,000 more critique points to level up to Stage 5.
    So which stage are u at?
    Which stage are WE ALL at?

No nit to answer me, everyone. Before u sleep think abt it. Ask urself in all honesty beyond all facades you had erected over your last... 20, 30 or 40yrs?

Hmmmm so it kinda boils down to taking negative critiques with a pinch of salt?

Would you comment a "useless comment" if you knew so well that you can't do better?
    Some people like to put their critique direct and straight which is very harsh on the photographer but it's the truth. Whereas there are others who go 10 times round the bush before they decide to get to the point. So which one is useless in this case?

#1 is useless to the ego.

#2 is useless to improvement.

ok get the point now. Hmmmm maybe i'm reading too much into things. But would it in anyway be good if they could at least tell me how to improve on the shots?

ok get the point now. Hmmmm maybe i'm reading too much into things. But would it in anyway be good if they could at least tell me how to improve on the shots?
    it's problematic telling another person how to improve a shot. techniques can be taught, vision cannot. suggestions can be made, but they are not truths.

Sometimes I feel that criticism acts as a perspective guide. A reality check to slam one down from cloud 9 and to prick the ego balloon.

The true answer doesn't come from the critcism. But frm yourself. That's my line of thought.

Cheers.

Pls just give constructive critique and we learn from it.
    As each person as it own style of works.
    Just say advice them and explain how to get the correct settings and what to look out for.
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Thanks to all the shifu for imparting some knowledge and humility. Hmmmmmm its a long long way to achieving better standards. I guess the one way is to keep posting and meditating on what every comment means.

Thanks to all the shifu for imparting some knowledge and humility. Hmmmmmm its a long long way to achieving better standards. I guess the one way is to keep posting and meditating on what every comment means.
    critiques are actually straightfoward and simple, what complicates a critique session is the surfacing of lame excuses, signalling closed minds and unwillingness to discuss.

Not afraid, part of learning process.

I don't mind negative comments.
    BUT not degratory remarks and personal attacks please. I'm sure no one likes it.

All of us are so far away achieving better standards and its not the business of anyone to dictate what are these so-called 'standards' are and shld be.

Even if one doesn't post anything and doesn't receive criticisms at all, its still possible to improve ur own shots.

Ultimately, its ur own journey to take. Think abt it.
    Last edited by jsbn; 30th July 2006 at 11:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12