Thread: Does a VGA card with 512MB ram helps photo editing?

Default Does a VGA card with 512MB ram help photo editing?

found my current VGA expired n thinking of getting a replacement. wonder if there is any significant gain in pic processing time on going from 256MB to 521MB VGA mem.

forgot to add m running on a 24" digital panel

thks
    Last edited by Jeff; 30th July 2006 at 10:15 AM.

Default Re: Does a VGA card with 512MB ram help photo editing?

not really speed up, but better graphic cards may allow the adjustment of gamma, RGB and other color-specific parameters.

Default Re: Does a VGA card with 512MB ram helps photo editing?

No! Use the money to buy loads of RAM instead.

Default Re: Does a VGA card with 512MB ram help photo editing?

Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    not really speed up, but better graphic cards may allow the adjustment of gamma, RGB and other color-specific parameters.

errrr... how do these parameters correlate to the vga ram? thought they r software limited??

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    my basic pc is a 7 yr old amd 1.4GHz with 1.5GB ram. e VGA that I suspected conked is a 9700 Pro from ATI. now that conroe is out, i just itch to overhaul everything since prices and performance goes reciprocal.

thought a Conroe 1.83/2-4GB ram/256VGA ATI card will do just fine. seriously, my old system can still edit on the fly but w/o graphic acceleration cause broken. i need a pc for my PS-CS2 else will go to waste. part of my workflow is also CS2 governed cause there are still some aspects that cannot be tuned using lightroom on a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    I second of that.

IMHO, Photo editing need huge memory to avoid disk swap action (which is slowing down the PC).

IIRC, using big memory VGA card only help if you play a game which is need VGA card memory to keep the texture.

Regards,
    Arto.

thks for ur feedback. guess i'll hold my cash first and make do with my mac for the time being. wait for the conroe prices to tumble a bit n e memory to plunge further (8GB:P)