Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muay Thai

Default Muay Thai

At Phuket, fight against a German and a local for the championship.

Just a note, effect caused by a lowered shutter speed not PSed (other than sepia toning and levels).

if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Default Re: Muay Thai

I do have to say it's a nice shot. Really creative. It creates a mood of dizziness like being hit. Tells a story. Well done PartryK

and a very unsteady hands as the whole picture including the still objects are blur... It would've been better if they are sharp

Quote Originally Posted by triotary
    and a very unsteady hands as the whole picture including the still objects are blur... It would've been better if they are sharp
    Caused by me panning alot trying to follow the fighters around the ring..they move around alot, and very quickly, not to mention shooting at around 100mm handheld at ISO200 with not so fantastic lighting. I do have many other shots with everything pretty sharp, but I felt that this one told more of the action than any of them.
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

I like it personally..
    Can see sharp photos of boxers on papers already..
    So this shot is really refreshing..

I still that it's a good shot no matter accidental or purposely. "bad" photos can be a good photo too.

Blur captured the story behind, especially both having punch and can see their muscles.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Great pic. The framing is very good. Got the essential into it.

Feels like the thai is beting the sh...t out of the german. BTW who won in the end?

The sepia brings a little peace to this "violent" situation. Good choice of tone.

Overall, very nice pic and situation.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk
    Great pic. The framing is very good. Got the essential into it.

Feels like the thai is beting the sh...t out of the german. BTW who won in the end?

The sepia brings a little peace to this "violent" situation. Good choice of tone.

Overall, very nice pic and situation.

Heh, the Thai fighter won, however I believe that the German was actually winning in terms of points scored, but to overthrow the champion, you would have to win through a knockout, so that was pretty unfortunate for the foreigner..

Thanks for the sepia comment, kinda vindicated my choice of having it in sepia. I was stuck at first if I wanted to leave it in colour or convert it into monochrome, and finally decided that having it in colour would really distract the viewer from the entire impact of the composition.

Below is the coloured rendition just for some comparison.

-edouard boubat

You know i kind of like the coloured version a lot better. I like the impressionistic effect with the movement. The colours don't detract from that for me. If the image was printed in a large enough format, it would definitely work.

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    You know i kind of like the coloured version a lot better. I like the impressionistic effect with the movement. The colours don't detract from that for me. If the image was printed in a large enough format, it would definitely work.
    Can feel the movements, especially the power of the PUNCH, very effective picture.

Nice. But the sepia tone one still looks more artistic and in-to-the-mood. haha. Wad's the shutter u you use anyway?

If i'm not wrong either 1/30 or 1/60
    -edouard boubat

Hi Pat,
    is this the widest lens you can shot at this scene?I think your ASA can set it a bit highy,like 400?and set your F-stop may be at 4 and your S-speed at 30.Would the result be good then?Pls correct me.

Yes, you could have set it like that, however I'm using a Canon D60 (circa 2000 - 2001) and even at ISO400 you can have issues with noise.

I had intentionally shot at ISO200 as I knew my lens could not reach far enough (70mm x 1.6 cropping factor) to get the tight composition I was looking for. Therefore I knew I would have to do quite abit of cropping during the post processing of my shots.

The orginal composition looked like this below:

The area cropped out is almost 2/3 of the entire composition, so therefore a blown up area of the final cropped image would most possibly have yielded visible signs of noise (again an issue of using an older body with a less capable sensor). I wouldn't have known for sure, but I had planned to maintain as much picture quality as I could possible can when I was shooting.

Then again the result of this shot is not mainly because of the correct exposure and camera settings, but of getting the right timing and a little bit of luck.
    -edouard boubat

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk
    Heh, the Thai fighter won, however I believe that the German was actually winning in terms of points scored, but to overthrow the champion, you would have to win through a knockout, so that was pretty unfortunate for the foreigner..

Thanks for the sepia comment, kinda vindicated my choice of having it in sepia. I was stuck at first if I wanted to leave it in colour or convert it into monochrome, and finally decided that having it in colour would really distract the viewer from the entire impact of the composition.

Below is the coloured rendition just for some comparison.

Well Cropped.

what lens are you using?

A sigma, 28-70mm f2.8
    -edouard boubat

According to the exif, the shutter speed was 1/50 at f/3.2.

Nice shot. As others has mentioned, can feel the motion and energy.

Freaking brilliant shot man! Like out of Michael Mann's 'Ali', which is very spontaneous and furious as well. Not everything has to be sharp. Life is not sharp. And for that matter neither are memories. This single frame tells a story and that is more than enough.
    Best pic I've seen today... and I've seen quite a lot.

p.s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly think this is Magnum quality!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast