Thread: Circular Polariser for Landscape Photography?

Default Circular Polariser for Landscape Photography?

Good day to all

Just wanna seek advice whether should buy circular polariser to take scenery, landscape pics during holiday trip?

Say I am going Maldives or some beach resort and the set up is 350D + 17-85 IS USM or 17-40L

Do i really need to get a circular polariser to boost the image (nicer sky etc)?

If yes, which brand would u recommend?

Thank you.

Default Re: Circular Polariser for Landscape Photography?

You don't need one, but it will certainly improve your images in most situations that you mentioned.

Adding any glass infront of your lens causes IQ to decrease, so the better the glass the less the decrease - get the best you can afford.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

If you are going to MAldives, definately, absolute, must get one. B+W is very nice, Hoya also good. Dont get a cheapo one, you will regret big time down the road.

Keep in mind, the polariser works best against a 90 degree light source, meaning around 11am to 2-3pm, in most cases, and particularily on the beach.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

B+W is expensive right? Like way above $100.

How much is the Hoya one?

I'm thinking of getting one too.

OK got it. So must get lor.

Now, which brand should i get. B+W should be the best (by right) but will burn a hole in pocket lor. Wonder whats the diff if i get Hoya one. Any great difference?

And what if i upgrade to canon 10-22mm next time?
    Should i just get the largest Polariser and buy step down ring?
    Wah...siong..!!...

all my filters are 77mm. nowadays, most lenses are either 77mm, 72mm or 67mm. a step down ring from 77mm to 72mm is very common, a bit more difficult for a 77mm to 67mm.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

another option is Gradual ND filter from Cokin or others, which will just darken the upper half of the photos (but it will darken any objects in the upper half area also ), disregards to the sun direction.

I use both CP and Gradual ND filter depends on situation.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    If you are going to MAldives, definately, absolute, must get one. B+W is very nice, Hoya also good. Dont get a cheapo one, you will regret big time down the road.

Keep in mind, the polariser works best against a 90 degree light source, meaning around 11am to 2-3pm, in most cases, and particularily on the beach.

WOOOoooo...Thanks DP for the tips.
    The 90 degree thingy is very useful info to me

But having said that, i should still put it on for sun set or sun rise shot rite?

Quote Originally Posted by Planner
    OK got it. So must get lor.

Now, which brand should i get. B+W should be the best (by right) but will burn a hole in pocket lor. Wonder whats the diff if i get Hoya one. Any great difference?

And what if i upgrade to canon 10-22mm next time?
    Should i just get the largest Polariser and buy step down ring?
    Wah...siong..!!...
    Some prices for you from a similar exercise I just went through as you... I figured that if I'm buying an L lens for landscaping it would be a bit odd to put a cheap filter in front of it. If you are on the beach btw, I would go for the sealed lens if you are trying to decide currently (17-40L) !! I would say it depends how much you are going to use it to be honest. I was lucky enough to be in the Maldives a few years ago - it's difficult to take a bad picture but I wish I'd been into D-SLRs back then for really capturing the essence of the place.

B&W MRC 77mm C-PL (slim) 235 SGD
    B&W MRC 77mm UV 110 SGD
    B&W MRC 67mm UV 70 SGD
    Hoya SHMC 58mm UV 25 SGD
    Hoya Polariser SHMC Pro 1 77mm 187 SGD

The Hoya Polariser Pro 1 Digital 77mm gets good write ups but I expect it won't be any cheaper than the B&W MRC 77mm C-PL (slim).

There is a link to useful price guides here but not all covered http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=205119

Good luck !
    Last edited by Robbo73; 28th July 2006 at 12:07 PM.
    Robbo

man i dunno about CPL filters.. but gradient ND filters plates really make my day when doing landscapes in europe.
    sigh.