Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenging outdoor shoot

Default Re: Challenging outdoor shoot

Interested in the theme, but wanted to preview the pictures of the models first. I would very much wish to shoot this theme...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Wow, definitely not a mad scientist but a very calculative one. First he gets ppl to pay $90 each to shoot the models, then he accomplishes his next assignment - getting a photographer to shoot commercials. Clever! Probably the models also has to pay $$$ to be shot so that they can be featured in a commercial.

Aiyoh, Why didn't I think of this before! He so smart!

can use good old film ?

Hi syl,

Unfortunately, I do pay my models. Secondly, I do know of professional photographers. It's just that if someone is up to expectation, why not let him/her try out? Am I that stupid to go through the extra work to select a photographer from a group when I already have the contacts of other photographers?

I congradulate you for being so clever as to think of this.

Hi freebsd,

Feel free to use any format you prefer,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck Loong
    Cool up for you

Let us see the models and what kind of hairstyles soon Will professional lighting, stylist, makeup and hairstylist be provided? If they are provided. Its is a very good learning experience for fellow photographers to experience a commercial shoot with a good team and crew

How much is the pay for the commercial assignments and the requirements?
    Can we load the client for photos selected?

You are very good to give such lobangs to fellow CS members. They can even make money out of the shoot. Hope everything turns out well for ya.

Cheers
    Something doesn't seem right here... Pay to shoot pics and get selected...

Quote Originally Posted by kenzi
    Hi Kenzi,

Both are 2 different issues all together. Please do not dump them both together. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kenzi
    yeap. you are right. brillant scheme.

This is definately going to be a challenging shoot - a mass orgy shoot at night, wonder if mad is providing lights or not. I think probably not. Shooting with camera mounted flash lights is indeed very challenging. That is why it's brillant, dangling a carrot, the possibility of being picked to shoot a commercial assignment, to lure unsuspecting photographers to join up.

One more thing, at $90, 15 photographers, 3 models, 1 hour of 5 on 1, means 20 minutes per group, or 4 minutes per photographer, or total 12 minutes of psuedo 1 on 1 time. This is the first hour ... ouch, burnt a hole in my pocket, that is just about $4 a minute. Then the second hour, all 15 photographers shooting the 3 models, flash popping left and right, if that is not an orgy, what is. Assuming all 3 models will be posing together, that translate to 4 minutes per photographer in the 2nd hour, or nearly $12 a minutes. Hole in pocket is getting biger by the minute.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Hi Deadpoet,

The assignment is not a lure or an advertising scheme. I agree that using only camera mounted flash is indeed challenging. Isn't that what you photographers are supposed to overcome? Handling tricky lighting conditions. Perfect lighting conditions are rarely available in outdoor. So are you going to tell me to get a stadium floodlight for your shoot? Clients are getting photography-savvy nowadays, they have higher expectations now and their budget are not keeping up with the increase. Even in commercial outdoor shoots, do not expect your lighting to be as optimal as in a studio.

Very detailed calculations you have there, it will make a good reference material for those who are considering.

Back to the assignment, I never said out of this 15 photographers, one will get selected. I never said you have to submit your photos when participating in this shoot. I just said that the assignment need one photographer only. This is totally optional. You can shoot whatever style you want, you paid for the shoot, you have your rights. You do not have to follow what I have listed, they are just guides for you. Just do what you do best. I am giving out this opportunity to fellow photographers as I do not gain anything by keeping this opportunity to myself. I also did not say that you have to join this shoot in order to take part in the selection for this assignment. It is good that you guys are cautious and are voicing out your concerns. But please be considerate and post it as enquiries instead of your comments. By posting as comments, it gives the impression that you are stating facts. This is very unfair to me. I do hope you understand.

Please do treat the shoot and assignment as two separate issues. I would like to emphasize that it is not compulsory to take part in the shoot in order to get the chance at the assignment and it is not the case that I will select one photographer out of the 15. I may not select anyone at all or I may select more depending on the skills and the style of the photographers. This assignment is not a carrot. Anyone can apply, even if you did not take part in this shoot. And I am sure you are not a rabbit, so carrot will not be highly enticing to you.

good that you reply. It is a damn expensive shoot. 2 hours for $90.

It's also need impossible to get any decent shot using camera mounted lights in a mass shootouts. This is not challenging, it's mind boggling. OK, even if the photographers are not going to submit any pictures, still, they should be given a chance getting some decent pictures. With so many people firing their flashes at the same time, MAY I ASK, HOW?

I am commenting becasue I am stating facts!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Ups for you!!!
    Come Visit my blog june-wee.blogspot.com

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    good that you reply. It is a damn expensive shoot. 2 hours for $90.

It's also need impossible to get any decent shot using camera mounted lights in a mass shootouts. This is not challenging, it's mind boggling. OK, even if the photographers are not going to submit any pictures, still, they should be given a chance getting some decent pictures. With so many people firing their flashes at the same time, MAY I ASK, HOW?

I am commenting becasue I am stating facts!
    Moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist
    .... Secondly, I do know of professional photographers. It's just that if someone is up to expectation, why not let him/her try out?
    If you had bothered to look into the SERVICES OFFERED/WANTED sub-forum, you will be able to get a lot of photographer's contacts. Also if you are trying to look for professional photographers, you are not going to get any coming to these type of mass shoots ...

Good Luck

... Perfect lighting conditions are rarely available in outdoor. ... Even in commercial outdoor shoots, do not expect your lighting to be as optimal as in a studio.
    Quite wrong I'm afraid .... With outdoor lights, many things are possible now and if a commercial photographer is given an assignment, he/she better know how to get the resources to get the best result, even if it means lighting up the stadium. Otherwise their reputation will be ruined by one lousy job. Its better not to do the job if it cannot be done well and up to client expectation.

I would like to emphasize that it is not compulsory to take part in the shoot in order to get the chance at the assignment and it is not the case that I will select one photographer out of the 15. I may not select anyone at all or I may select more depending on the skills and the style of the photographers. This assignment is not a carrot. Anyone can apply, even if you did not take part in this shoot. And I am sure you are not a rabbit, so carrot will not be highly enticing to you.
    This above is a little confusing (please see blue text) ... You mean someone else who did not go for the shoot can just submit their portfolio and get selected also??? So why am i paying $90 to shoot in your "specified condition" (aka almost in the dark with 10+ other photographers)
    If anyone else who did not join the shoot can submit the portfolio, why do i bother to join your shoot? Can't I just send you my portfolio and you choose from there?

Hi Deadpoet,

Do not worry about the lighting problem as I am already sendig someone to do a ambient light test.

Hi LONG THAI BEAN,

I am not looking for professional photographers. I am looking for photographers who have the talents. Yes, you are getting at my point, best use of resources.

Please do not dump the two issues together. Yes, you could. The shoot is meant for photographers who wishes to challenge themselves to the limit. More details about requirements of the shoot will be stated on the shooting day and in future post.

Hi all,

The photos are here!

1:

2:

3:

Coming soon...

As requested, #1 asked me to post 1 more pic. Here it goes:

This was taken at one of the venue for this shoot. The brightness is reduced for effects.
    Shot using Canon PowerShot S50 using Auto mode, onboard computer decided to flash.

hmmm...I think you need lights

If you cant get HMIs....at least some high power strobe with modelling lights....

* Focusing will be a issue
    * Showing hairstyles will be a issue too
    * Logistic will be a issue if the place is out of the way.

Hope the comments will help ya.

Hi Tuck Loong,

HMI?

Yes, I do understand the issue. However, I am afraid that getting lights there may affect the mobility of the shoot.

What I do suggest is to use 2 models instead of 3. The location be set in Cavenagh Bridge. I will seal off the bridge. Then I will bring in the lighting equipment you need. Please do let me know exactly what do you need so I can come prepared.

Thank you for the constructive comments,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck Loong
    hmmm...I think you need lights

If you cant get HMIs....at least some high power strobe with modelling lights....

* Focusing will be a issue
    * Showing hairstyles will be a issue too
    * Logistic will be a issue if the place is out of the way.

Hope the comments will help ya.

Hi all,

This is an updated post.

There will be an organised shoot available on Saturday, 5th August 2006. From 9pm-11pm at Boat Quey, Cavenagh Bridge.

Details of the shoot is as follows:

Theme: Clubbing Devils
    Dress code (for models): Clubbing outfit that's bold, sexy, crazy.
    No of models: 2
    No of photographers: 10

1st 45 mins to 1 model, 5 photographers per model
    2nd 45 mins to another model
    Last 30 mins 10 photographers to 2 models.

1 personnel will be accompanying each model. Please feel free to ask them for help if you require any assistance (eg. holding of reflectors).

500W model light will be provided for each model. They will be powered at 50% to ensure battery stamina.

Cost: $120 per photographer

Please note the focus in this shoot is the hair. This is optional. The focus is just to increase the challenge. Those who confirms before 6th Aug, 0000hrs will pay a price of $110 instead. Those who are coming in a group of 5 or 10, please do let me know so I can offer a special rate to you.

Please let me know if you require any special arrangements.

PS: A 50% deposit is required for confirmation.

Hi all,

Below are the photos of the models. Makeup artiste will be available on the shoot.

#1:

#2:

As requested, #1 asked me to post 1 more pic. Here it goes:

This is the test shoot, the venue is exactly the place which the shoot will be held. The brightness is reduced for effects.
    Shot using Canon PowerShot S50 using Auto mode, onboard computer decided to flash.

Exposure: 1/60 sec
    F Number: f/2.8
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Focal Length: 7mm
    Exposure Compensation: 0 step

Edited shot:

Actual shot:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast